lightweight wheel and tire combo

sweet trav

Adventurer
does anyone know a good lightweight wheel and tire combo for an 04 2500 crewcab 4x4 or where to find the weights of wheels and tires?

I currently have some procomp wheels with 315/75/16 toyo mt on them but I heard that the toyo mt are very heavy (aprrox. 80-85 lbs per tire is what I heard, and I understand that hearsay isn't always right but this was a fairly reputable offroad source)

I'm trying to see if I can improve the mpg by lightening the wheel/tire combo.

Thanks for any info.

sweet trav

Adventurer
just called discount and they said (although their weights are not exact but shipping weights) that the (315/75/16 sizes) bfg at are 62# and the bfg mt km2 are 65# each. If my toyo mt tires are 80-85# per tire that seems like a fairly good weight reduction (100# lighter for all four and the spare).

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
just called discount and they said (although their weights are not exact but shipping weights) that the (315/75/16 sizes) bfg at are 62# and the bfg mt km2 are 65# each. If my toyo mt tires are 80-85# per tire that seems like a fairly good weight reduction (100# lighter for all four and the spare).
The reduction comes from going from an e-rated to a d-rated tire. The Dodge factory polished, forged aluminum rims are as light as you can go with all that strength. Method Wheels will build you a light strong wheel to order,but they are super pricey.

Silverado

Adventurer
no luck finding the OEM 16" or 17" aluminum wheels?

3ne3k13p55P25S45R0a9kd28401db4f1f1759.jpg

JohnMcD348

Observer
I would check the local yards and find a few of the full size spare wheels or the factory aluminum wheels. You have to figure you need something that will hold up to heavy duty loads since you're driving a 2500. I'm not really sure though if the spare rim is lighter than the styled rim since one is aluminum and the other steel. It may even out. MY 08 came with forge Aluminum wheels and BFG's that, according to most websites, have the least rolling resistance of nearly any other tire out there and they are E rated tires.

sweet trav

Adventurer
I believe that the stock alloy wheels are too narrow for the size tire we're running...they'll fit and mount but they're not as safe as a wider wheel...right now I have some procomp alloys. I'll get pics later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94