TreadWright - I want skinnies, but are they LOUD?

fifthcircle

Adventurer
Yeah, yeah...retreads....blah, blah.... :ylsmoke:

I am looking at the 235/85r16 Crawler MT.

I am wondering if anyone here has had them, and can tell me if they are really loud while on the highway. So far, I have only found a little bit on this particular tread, and it didn't have any real highway info, just off highway and deep snow performance (both great, btw). I really want to go with "pizza cutters", and would like a more aggressive tread than the Axiom AT that is the only other tread option in this size from TreadWright.

Edit: These are going on my 2006 Tacoma TRD OR, and will be mostly daily driver duties, with the few and far between trail runs thrown in. Do I "need" this aggressive of a tread...probably not. You only live once ;)
Thanks!
:bike_rider:

Last edited:

sargeek

Adventurer
I have purchased the earlier model, the OTR Mud on two differnt vehicles. The first set was for a 3/4 Ton Chevy Pick-up Truck, and a second set on a Jeep TJ.

Yes - The tire make noise. They don't really howl, but they do make some noise. You can also feel the large tread blocks while driving slow.

The tires lasted bat 35K on the jeep and really performed well off road and in the snow.

fifthcircle

Adventurer
Perfect! Thanks for the info.
I guess I'll go ahead and order them. I figured they would have "some noise", but I just didn't want them to be loud like, say, a super swamper! I really didn't think that they would be, but you never know.

I am going to go ahead and get them with "Kedge Grip", or as I like to call it, Nuts and Glass :) A total price shipped of just a shade over $100/tire, I'm cool with a faster wearing tire for the added grip in the winter.

Thanks again sargeek!!!
-Kurt

fifthcircle

Adventurer
Funny...I was just looking into a set of these..

http://www.treadwright.com/shopnow/product/tabid/61/productid/81/sename/37x1250r165-guard-dog.aspx

From the specs they appear to be at least "D" rated. The tread design really kinda reminds me of the MTR!?! And while the 16.5 wheel is odd...I gotta wonder at a 37" tire for 144 bucks!?!!?!?!!? I wonder if they buy govt. Lots of used tires and retread them...? Hmm...

All I know is that I have searched all over the internet for a couple weeks now...and have found almost all positive reviews!! For the price, I am willing to give them a shot :smiley_drive:

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
I've got the guard dogs on my WJ in size 265/70/16. They are wearing great and ride fine, but the NOISE is horrible!

I ran 245 MTRs (rubicon tires) previously and they were much quieter than the Guard Dogs when new. As they wore they got much louder and eventually got a swamper growl.

The Guard Dogs whine. It is high pitched and reminds me of an old truck gear whine. I wouldn't buy them again in this tread pattern for a Daily Driver.

CYi5

Explorer
I've got the guard dogs on my WJ in size 265/70/16. They are wearing great and ride fine, but the NOISE is horrible!

I ran 245 MTRs (rubicon tires) previously and they were much quieter than the Guard Dogs when new. As they wore they got much louder and eventually got a swamper growl.

The Guard Dogs whine. It is high pitched and reminds me of an old truck gear whine. I wouldn't buy them again in this tread pattern for a Daily Driver.

x2, i know a guy with 265/75 guard dogs and it's a very high pitched whine.

Accrete

Explorer
i luved the switch to "pizza cutters" on our 07 TACO TRD. The ride in the wet oregon conditions was excellent. we went from the stock 265/65/r17 to 245/75/r17. (ours were dueler revo II. my point being there are times with tall/skinnies are the way to go!)

red87

Adventurer
x2, i know a guy with 265/75 guard dogs and it's a very high pitched whine.

I know the same guy and CYi5 is right, they're noisy. The noise starts around 25 mph and gets pretty loud at freeway speeds.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
They're loud. Plain and simple. But a great tire and well worth it. Very hard wearing and very tough carcass.

I switched to AT's cuz I DD my rigs, but a rig that see's a lot of dirt would do fine with the MT's.

fifthcircle

Adventurer
Just a quick update...

After a LOT of debating, I decided to order the 235/85r16 Crawler M/T with Kedge Grip.

I should have them in around 4 weeks, and will post updates with daily driver performance and all that. Heck, for juuust over $400 for 4 tires shipped to my door, I figured what the heck. :)

Once I get the tires, I am going to have my stock wheels stripped and powder coated black. The finish is starting to bubble up on them, and I found a place locally that will coat'em for $50 each. Again, cheap enough to say what the heck and get it done.

LostDelta

Ok first off

I LOVE my TreadWrights

I had a set of 31 1050s on my TJ (Back when the company was called Hi Tech Retread) and I loved them, I will flat out admit that I neglected them and drove past there point, AND THEY were still great tires. The company has great customer service and makes a great product.

So when I started the build on my Trooper I went with Treadwrights in that size and I still love them. They are not that noisy (But my only other experience with a big tire was a set of 33 12.50 Pro-Comp MT's on a full size Bronco, and these tires are definitely quieter than that)

Here are some pics of the tires mounted

M_DSC_0014 by Lost Delta Photography, on Flickr

Trooper by Lost Delta Photography, on Flickr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles