Tire Suggestions

WickedZJ

Adventurer
IMG_3812.jpg

I'm not sure if Ill run the chalk test or not yet. We took it for a 400 mi trip last weekend and it road great the whole time. I suppose I need to look at it and decide if I need to do it or not.

bobcat charlie

Adventurer
I just put Hankook 35 X 12.50 X 17 MT's on my Ram. Dealer HAS to inflate to 60psi front 70psi rear per: Section 95550 in the new subarticle 8 of article 4, subchapter 10, chapter 1, division 3, title 17, California Code of Regulations, effective 9/1/10.

I did the 'chalk test' on the new 'E' rated tires...60psi front looks good, nice even scrub of the chalk accross the tread. At 70psi, only the inner blocks showed any scrub, outer blocks not touched! Didn't get even scrub accross the tread until I got down to 50psi. At 70psi, the rear tires in a lightly loaded pickup will rear out VERY quickly.

Again, CARB's ill concieved regulations screw the California public. The 'chalk test' is definitly needed if you want to get decent tire life.

BTW, I originally did the 'chalk test' on the BFG 315/70/17 ATs and found 50psi front/40psi rear gave even wear on these load range 'D' tires...I got over 70K miles on the last set, rotated every 6K miles.

fifthcircle

Adventurer
The chalk test is so simple its almost silly not to take the time to do it. I can't believe I have gone so many years not knowing about it. I LOVE EXPO!!!!! :)

greg mgm

Explorer
I just put Hankook 35 X 12.50 X 17 MT's on my Ram. Dealer HAS to inflate to 60psi front 70psi rear per: Section 95550 in the new subarticle 8 of article 4, subchapter 10, chapter 1, division 3, title 17, California Code of Regulations, effective 9/1/10.

I got a laugh out of that....:sombrero:

Outback

Explorer
Just wanted to chime in on the GoodYear Dura Tracs vs. BFGoodrich TAs. After a long winter and some serious highway miles on both my work truck and my personal truck (which has BFGoodrich ATs) I have come to the conclusion the BFGs are better on a snowy winter highway. They are more stabble at any speed than the GoodYear Dura Tracs. Just my observation. Hope it helps.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Staple

I managed to put a wire staple through my almost brand new (5500km) kevlar silent armors. It was right at where the sidewall and the tread contact. That hasn't left me feeling the best about how tough these tires are. Other then that I like the tires. Grip isn't the best at 65 psi though, they want to slip on wet grass at that pressure....

Actually, common area of that tire for getting a flat if puncture is not torn or jagged some good adhesive like 3m super adhesive the kind for gluing moldings and making gaskets and the like will work great with small tire plug and seal the opening against the elements I gave up on the rubber cement long ago and use the 3M super adhesive only.

Last edited:

ExpoMike

Not to hijack the thread but seeing many have tried the Dura Tracs, I have been considering them, Bridgestone REVO II's or BFG AT's. I have been using REVO's on my Cherokee and have loved them but being a lighter vehicle, they may not work as well on a big truck.

Any opinions on the REVO's or if you had those three to choose from, which one and why? Thanks and again, sorry for the hijack but I didn't think a whole new thread was needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online