Solstice Vision X mod

ThomD

Explorer
I run a pair of Hella Micro DE fog lights as aux lights on my motorbike. These lights have been good because they have a very pronounced vertical cut off so I can run them in traffic and not blind others. Unfortunately, the Hella's draw too much power to run with my heated gear, so I've been waiting for LEDs to mature.

The Vision X lights now come in a beam patter that has a more horizontal throw, with some vertical cut off, so I picked up one of them for testing. The cut off still isn't pronounced enough to run in traffic; the lights are blinding. I'm thinking about attaching a piece of aluminum across the front of the light, to mask of the top of the lens and get the "traffic friendly" beam pattern I need.

A scrap of aluminum plate, some JB weld and some flat black paint should do the trick. What am I missing?

BTW, these lights are very nice. I ran around the house running the light off a 9 volt battery so I could test it out. Of course the color is more blue than the Hella's but I don't care about that.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I don't know if that will do what you want. The optics aren't that simple. I'm betting that all you'll accomplish is to block half of the light coming out. Both glare, and forward visibility will be reduced by half.

ThomD

Explorer
Both glare, and forward visibility will be reduced by half.

Well, that is the goal. :) I won't lose half the light because these do throw a beam that is concentrated in a horizontal beam, with a reduced amount of light in teh upper and lower third of the beam. My objective will be to block out that upper spill.

These are "be seen" lights on the bike, for times when I cannot use the high beam, so some reduction is fine.

I will have before and after photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles