Avanti Superconductor fridge?

dustboy

Explorer
I was flipping through the Northern Tool catalog yesterday and saw this:

http://www.avantiproducts.com/products/id/367

SHP1702SS_vl4.jpg

It appears that it is not the same cooling technology as the much-maligned thermoelectric units. I haven't done the math, but the efficiency seems better than thermoelectric but not as good as a compressor.

The cooling system does use R134A but has no moving parts...

The interesting part is that Compact Appliance is selling them for as low as $125, delivered..:Wow1:

Uncle Roger

Observer
Dunno if you noticed, but that fridge runs on household power: "Power: 83 watts, 115V, 1.1 amps" It's a standard mini-fridge like you'd get at Sears or Home Depot (albeit minus the compressor.)

monele

Adventurer
A friend of mine has the 110v/12v unit on his boat (used as a weeknight apartment) and it seems to work great there. I'm not sure how it would do in a dusty environ. (It's in the cabin galley on the boat so it's never exposed) it replaced a tri-power unit (add LP) and so far has made it about a year of being on all the time with no issues.

dustboy

Explorer
What we need to figure out is the efficiency of this thing, the 83 watts number is useless unless we know how much time it's actually running. Also, can it keep your beers cold in 100 degree heat?

dustboy

Explorer
Nice Price, if it turns out to be no good for mobile use, it would still make a nice beer fridge in your garage...

In time there should be more reviews on Amazon, etc of people who have used them in a vehicle.

Xterabl

Adventurer
Yeah, well, then it states: "The unit uses R134A refrigerant, but has no compressor"
And further, it mentions a temperature range of 36F - 56F. With no mention of the typical "40* below ambient" disclaimer.

Doesn't seem to be typical thermoelectric.

So, hey, maybe it's not quite so clear-cut.

Xterabl

Adventurer
Well thanks for the insight marcopolo. So, while power consumption isn't ideal; and while it won't really freeze anything, it might be a good option for some folks considering (1) low price, and (2) it should be fairly robust with low/no issues of tilt angle, etc.
Again, thanks for the comment.

dustboy

Explorer
Hey, great first post, MarcoPolo!! Good research, welcome to ExPo.

It appears the system is maybe not immune to tilt, as it requires gravity to complete the circulation:

"The gaseous refrigerant moves upwards through the
heat-pipe and finally becomes liquid again when meeting the
cold. Then the liquid re-circulates within the pipe under its
gravity and this process forms a circulation within the pipe
continually."

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Back from the dead!

I found a cheapo Sanyo mini fridge on CL nearby. Its in great shape. I am being tempted to pick it up to use on an upcoming 3-day camping trip as my cheapo wannabe Engel. I will just run an extension cord from my inverter inside the cab back to the bed for it and shut it off at night or has anyone already tried this and will the rough riding kill it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles