Dex-Cool in a Chrysler: What the Deal?

M

modelbuilder

So about 8 months ago I went to autozone to get some coolant. I noticed my reservoir was missing coolant...but slowly.

I also noticed distilled water leaking from the engine. I couldn't source it till today...when I saw that my water pump was leaking!

Anyway, the coolant was GM Dex-Cool and I drive a Jeep. Didn't notice that till after I poured it. However on the back it says it meets the standards and specifications for the Chrysler Coolant so I'm all good. I guess there is a difference between "Dex-Cool" and "Dex-Cool Approved" as that is what my tub says.

Questions is, is if it meets the standards and specs for my Chrysler Coolant why do the Jeep guys on the other forums swear it is the most horrible thing I could do when my engine runs fine and the coolant meets the specs.

I'll be replacing my pump in the next month or so. My water pump lasted for about 90,000 miles so it's time for a new one anyway.

truck mechanic

Adventurer
True Dexa cool, is just awfull stuff, it disolves plastic. and gm motors have tons of plasic in there gaskets. I see at least a few gm intake gasket jobs on gms every month go through my shop. I had a 96 2500 I went cross country in back in 03. before I left I found the intake was leaking. so I replaced that then within days I had to do the water pump and t stat gasket. all from dexa cool. I flushed the system and started useing good old green antifreeze and never had another problem.
just my .02
Paul

ihatemybike

Explorer
Note: The originally formula Dex-cool was a bit to acidic and did break down some gaskets and seals. I too am a victum with my van Green. Dex-cool was reformulated and is now fine for regular use.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I flushed the radiator in my TJ at ~75K, refilled it with Dexcool. It never gave me any problems until I sold it at 105K.

I had 55K on my old (2000) Chevy with no coolant related problems. The coolant was replaced with dexcool at ~ 30K due to a punctured radiator.

Just don't mix the old (green) with the new (dexcool).

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
IMO, worst stuff I've ever seen in a radiator. GF's old blazer had the stuff. Went to check it one day and it looked like it had sawdust in there. Flushed it all out and the dang thing stated to leak. we would get one thing fixed and something else would start to leak. All that the dexcool did was prolong us finding and repairing the leaks before it got to bad. ended up trading that thing in just to get rid of the trouble.

chasespeed

Explorer
Yeah, my Caddy has that, and has since new. When I replaced the w/p, thats what I put back in.... its a zero silica formula, which, with an aluminum engine....

I run regular ethyl glycol in the cummins... and the bike is air cooled......

Chase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior