A new rack for my LJ

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
I've been wanting a rack. Just something I could throw a stepladder on for work or to throw a canoe on top for a days paddle. I didn't need one for an RTT or to haul tons of gear. For two people the Mouser (our Jeep) has plenty of room inside and when it's the whole gang we press the Tundra into service. So I've been looking around at various racks for awhile trying to pick the right one. But I had a couple of requirements to meet before I chose one.

*RUST: When you live in the rust belt and have salt on the roads 5 months out of the year, rust is always a concern. So I didn't want to drill holes in the Mouser (our Jeep). Holes lead to rust, no matter how well you take precautions against it. Add to that the fact that powdercoated items do not hold up well in this enviroment and you see many popular racks on Jeeps around here succumb to rust.

*WEIGHT: No matter what I add to the Mouser I always consider how the weight of the item will affect the Jeep. I try to keep the Mouser as road friendly as possible so I didn't want extra weight up high tweeking the handling or sucking more gas out of the tank.

*ADAPTABILITY: Another aspect I was looking for was the ability to adapt the rack to my needs at any given time. Sometimes set up for paddling trips, sometimes for work, sometimes I don't want the rack on at all. I was looking for a rack that was strong and stable but could be easily removed if I wanted it gone. Plus it should be easily stored if removed.

*NOISE: I hate listening to racks that whistle. The rack on my truck was chosen for it's lesser wind noise and even then it can drive you bonkers. So a rack for the Jeep had to be quiet.

Well, I looked at all the options and really couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Then one day we had an ExPo East meet where we were heading out on a river float. A new guy showed up with a JK Unlimited with a sweet roof rack. It was a Rockyridge rack made of aluminum and stainless steel, with cool aluminum slotted rails. It seemed like it would fit the criteria I was looking for. Well that gent was the maker of the rack but only had them setup for the JKs. But I wanted one for an LJ. So after a couple of discussions and a few more ExPo trips I got a new rack.

5038393761_c573a18ded_z.jpg

5038479121_d695526df2_z.jpg

The bases are made of heavy aluminum, while the uprights are stainless steel. The connecting rails are aluminum and are slotted on both sides and the top to ease the mounting of whatever you want. I'll probably use a couple of Quickfists with some capture nuts in the rails to mount trail tools on the rails.

5039060040_55800a120d.jpg

Thule and Yakima accesories slide and mount easily in the connecting rails. I had some Thule risers and rails in the garage and they worked sweet. The main rails are held to the windowfairing by a couple of knobbed bolts. Remove those two knobbed fasteners and the rack tilts back 90*, is held in place there and allows you to put the softtop down. The whole rack can be easily removed as a whole or in pieces. The fairing can stay in place without the rack and has mounting holes for lights. I won't use those but it'a nice that they are there. Taken apart, the rack can store flat on the garage wall.

This whole sytem is pretty light in weight and with the oval tubes is super quiet. The softtop makes way more noise than the rack. But when you put the square Thule bars on it howls pretty good. I just run without the rails when not hauling something plus without them the Jeep (3" lift, 33" tire) still fits in the 7' tall garage door. You hardly notice the rack is on there other than seeing the downtubes at the back edge of the mirrors. I'm pretty happy with this setup but look forward to the hardtop brackets that are still being prototyped. I really prefer my hardtop.

So it's quiet, adaptable, lightweight, stable and the most important it's not going to rust. And with all the rustmites in this area the rack will probably outlast the Jeep..

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I like it!

Its way less rusty and probably significantly lighter than my Congo Cage. I'm looking for a rack that mounts directly to the hard-top and is braced to the rollbar.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Here's a few closeup shots of the RockyRidge rack's aluminum mounting bases as per request.

The front rack mounts attach to the windowshield side in the factory holes using stainless round headed allen bolts...

5071885571_0a82d40cf9.jpg

The rear soft top mount attaches using the two factory holes to the rear of the top rail of the tub. Again, like all the fasteners, these are stainless pieces. The aluminum mount sticks out the bottom zipper portion of the softop side windows and the zippers snug up tight against the mount. You don't even notice them on there when there installed.

5072493578_0e0351d47d.jpg

To store the rack you just remove the large center bolt from the rear mount, undo the knob bolts from the front fairing and slide it off. The mounts stay in place until your ready to reinstall the rack.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
The jeep looks great. I believe a paddling road trip should be executed as soon as possible to throughly test the new gear.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
The jeep looks great. I believe a paddling road trip should be executed as soon as possible to throughly test the new gear.

That sounds like an invite...

The only good thing about this rain we have been having lately is that the creeks are up to levels were their floatable again. Next weekend, with shotguns at the ready, we'll be floating Oil Creek looking to put the ********** on some ducks.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Well the hardtop mounting brackets for the Rocky Ridge rack arrived along with some aluminum crossrail brackets and some extra capture nuts. With my boy Cam's help we reattached the rack (which took about five minutes), threw the canoe on top and went for a short paddle on a close by beaver pond. On the way back we pulled into our campground a snapped a couple pics, mainly because we were shooting the breeze to much to remember to take the camera along.

5103109795_0636e0195e.jpg

With the support rails being slotted it was easy to use the crossrail brackets as tool holders. With the Thule mounts I don't need those brackets. Turned out it was a great place to mount my paddles.

5103127663_49598a545c.jpg

Oh, with the canoe on top the Thule bars stopped singing. :sombrero:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
How happy are with this rack setup? Can one person remove and install it?

I'm really liking this rack. It's quiet, light and supports the canoe quite well. When we took the softtop off I easily removed the whole thing one piece at a time. We took it off as a whole setup other than the fairing once when we still had the softtop on with just me and my boy Cam with ease. Installing is easier with two when it comes to putting the front fairing on, mainly to avoid scratching the Jeep's paint. The rear hoop is also easier with two, but I did install it on the hardtop by myself. The connecting rails and cross rails are easy-peasy.

Looking good! How cleanly do the rear brackets fit under the hardtop?

They lift the hardtop up about 3/16 of an inch but it snugs down pretty well. I pressured washed the Mouser of after installing the rack and didn't have any leakage. My impromptu paddle holders worked really well, I was a worried there might be a little flutter but by keeping the clamps closer to the paddle blades it seem to have prevented that. I'm looking forward to getting a 'yak to mount up there though as I'm getting to lazy to throw that heavy canoe all the way up there. :elkgrin:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Storage response..

Here's a shot of the RockyRidge rack disassembled and hanging on the wall as was requested. I just used a couple of utility hangers with around 5" of offset, leveled them up on the garage wall and screwed them in. Holds front fairing, rear hoop, spreader rails and the Thule crossbars that I use for the boats. Works great....

100_2570.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne