Northern Hemisphere Autumns

flywgn

Explorer
I love 'em.

Dividing my outdoor time between fly-fishing and wing-shooting this time of year often creates vexing choices but ones I'm more than happy to deal with.

One of the benefits of our present domicile is the fact that I can pursue both of these pleasures—on the same day.

Tuesday, for example, we fished Silver Creek in the morning (skunked, I must confess and not the first time I've left that stream frustrated), shot quail mid-day, lunched beside then fished the Big Wood River (not skunked at all there).

Quail photo below is about a third of our "home" covey. We just watch these. The river photos are on the Big Wood.

Allen R

Attachments

• Home Covey (Small).JPG
    Home Covey (Small).JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_0045 (Small).JPG
    DSC_0045 (Small).JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_0056 (Small).JPG
    DSC_0056 (Small).JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 25

Harald Hansen

Explorer
Here the seasons are changing as well. I'll see if I can get some pics during the weekend with the hills covered in fall colours.

flywgn

Explorer
We're having a strange autumn here. It's been unseasonably warm, in many cases setting record highs, recently, though we've already had several frosts too. In some places the trees look like they are in a quandary. In that middle photo above it's possible to see only the beginning of the fall colors, yet on river-left (just out of the picture) there were bright orange poplars that showed their leaves were well into the fall retreat.

Allen R

flywgn

Explorer
In addition to the colors and changing temperatures, here's another reason I look forward to autumn.

Allen R

Attachments

• DSC_0063 (Small).JPG
    DSC_0063 (Small).JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 10

Cody1771

Explorer
great topic! just spent the other weekend fishing for spring salmon (King salmon for you US'ers) on the Nitnat river

5039267872_5d569ddd93.jpg

flywgn

Explorer
What a pretty river, Cody. I looked at that river on the map in August and made inquiries in Duncan about following the back roads up to Pt. Alberni but couldn't find a clear answer. We opted for going on up to Campbell River where I had made arrangements to spend some quality time with Roderick Haig-Brown's home library.

I had a license yet never drowned a fly on the Campbell. Almost sinful. I did, though, take the time to watch from the bridge (the river looked like it had a picket fence of fishers ) just above the Haig-Brown house.

Allen R

Attachments

• Misc-Summer2010 019 (Small).jpg
    Misc-Summer2010 019 (Small).jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Misc-Summer2010 017 (Small).jpg
    Misc-Summer2010 017 (Small).jpg
    64 KB · Views: 11

Cody1771

Explorer
yeah, i know that whole area very well. lots of great fishing spots, that is kind of a secret spot that is a real PITA to get to. especially when your laden with rods and gear haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles