Considering making an expo trailer from a grand cherokee

carcrafter22

Adventurer
Thats why I wish you would get a move on!:sombrero:

LOL good point. I plan to start this thing soon, currently getting all my plans in order.

I work out of town alot (I'm on a job right now actually wont be home for another week) so I have to do alot of my planning while I'm gone and playing while I'm home. I plan to make it to a junkyard when I get home to do some measuring and price checking around for bodies along with look at some bare bodies with no dash or interiors to get some ideas for things I've been thinking about.

Besides I still have to finish the isuzu install in my jeep.

K2ZJ

Explorer
I measured my ZJ, from center of the rear axle to the b pillar was 42", and it was 86" (7') to the fire wallish. I should have measured to the rear. I will get that tomorrow. 7' is long plus you need to add a hitch.

carcrafter22

Adventurer
Thanks for posting the measurements, I havent had much luck getting my wife to get the measurements I need off our jeep since I'm 400 miles away from the house.

I figure worse case scenario is I get the whole jeep body from firewall back with all doors, temporarily but securely weld on the steel tongue and hitch. If I take it down some back roads around my house and dont like how it pulls I can always cut off a foot or two and retry it again, if I find I like it there then I can proceed to enclose it and properly weld in the tongue and other items.

I'm really hoping to be able to make this work from the firewall back since I'd love to stuff a matress in the front and be able to sleep in it like a teardrop trailer. Sure would be nice to pull over in certain areas when we take our trip from texas to alaska next year and catch a few hours sleep in the trailer instead of paying for a hotel every night.

carcrafter22

Adventurer
Speaking of measurements. Would anyone care to give me some measurements if they happen to have a WJ jeep around?

What do you guys think an empty shell of a body weighs? no door panels, no dash, wiring, windshield, seats, carpet, drivetrain, front suspension, etc.

I am thinking these measurements in the pic would be great to have (I can wait till I get home in a week or so if I have to just excited to get things figured out)

If anyone wants to post up some measurements can you measure from A - F, B-F, C-F, D-F, E-F and post them up? Thanks

K2ZJ

Explorer
Wouldn't you be more concerned with the rear axle center? Over hang off the back vs length up front?

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I was thinking about it and I can put a 15 gal water tank where the fuel tank is now...
Don't forget about the massive spare tire cavity in the back either. It's a bit higher up, but would keep the weight of the water over/behind the axle and still let you use the fuel tank for fuel.

the only thing I can see helping this would be to make the front of the trailer the sleeping area and trying to make it as light as possible. I could just remove the entire interior and sheet in the firewall with .063 aluminum sheet using body adhesive to give plenty of strength. I can install a 6" memory foam matress (weighs around 45 pounds) on some suported 1/2" plywood just above the floor to sleep in. I can make a divider to seperate the front sleeping area from the rear cargo area so that most of the loaded weight will be directly over or slightly behind the rear axle.
The wife and I sleep in the back of my Disco when camping and find having a side door all to ourselves much more convenient. Plus, it lets less heat out camping in the cold when you have to pee in the middle of the night. We have actually never used the tail door while in "sleep mode".

Also, would the body you're getting to cut up have a sunroof? One of the features we like most about the Discotent is having the sunroof directly overhead when we go to sleep. It's great to be able to go to sleep under the stars without actually having to be out under the stars. :D

carcrafter22

Adventurer
Don't forget about the massive spare tire cavity in the back either. It's a bit higher up, but would keep the weight of the water over/behind the axle and still let you use the fuel tank for fuel.
You read my mind, I've already been searching for a bladder or small tank for that spot. I am thinking of just building a swingout mount to put the spare on the back along with a shovel and high lift jack. This would also help distribute weight.

The wife and I sleep in the back of my Disco when camping and find having a side door all to ourselves much more convenient. Plus, it lets less heat out camping in the cold when you have to pee in the middle of the night. We have actually never used the tail door while in "sleep mode".

Also, would the body you're getting to cut up have a sunroof? One of the features we like most about the Discotent is having the sunroof directly overhead when we go to sleep. It's great to be able to go to sleep under the stars without actually having to be out under the stars. :D

Unless I get lucky and find one with a sunroof ( a definate benefit) I dont think I will worry about it too much. I did think about reinforcing the floor a bit then cutting out a large part of the roof and putting lightly tinted lexan in for a large sunroof, I've since passed it up but may come back to it eventually.

Great ideas keep'em coming.

carcrafter22

Adventurer
I ran across that thread on here while searching but my internet wouldnt open the links at the time. I've seen several guys on different sites including this one do very similar trailers. Its just different than mine for sure.

I know what would be cool (and cost double the money in the end) would be to join the back half of 2 grands like you suggest but with a twist. I'd have one half have the 2 rear doors, axle rear hatch, the other half would just be from right behind the wheel well and basicly only have half the side window, rear hatch and bumper. I'd joind those to halfs together so I could still get in from the 2 side doors and have 1 single axle to ride on but the twist is that I'd have to hatches, one at each end. I could make each hatch like a popout tent setup that fold out when you open the hatches and use plywood for the floors and air matresses. I bet that would be a very cool trailer that wouldnt be too long although I think it would be about as long as I am planning now or at least close to it.

K2ZJ

Explorer
I really love the two hatch idea and may try to do that too. But now I need to Jeeps instead of one. I stopped by a junkyard and asked about the back half they said if they cut it, it would cost $350 from b-pillar back. Less than I thought.

carcrafter22

Adventurer
I can get the jeep bodies off craigslist for pretty cheap. I think if I find the right guy that needs to get rid of the body I'll be able to get it for a couple hundred bucks or so.

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Subscribed!
I have been preparing to do this very same thing with the left over parts from my 4 86 - 88 Troopers I have. I'll be stretching a 4 door Trooper 18" by splicing in a topless 2 door rear body end to make a crew cab Trooper pickup this winter sometime. Not sure what power plant I'll use but been thinking about stuffing a newer 3.5 Trooper frame and running gear under it.

Should have enough body parts left over to make a trailer like the XJ from a 4 door body and a rear cap to cap in the front of the trailer.

Been kicking around the idea of making the leftover pieces into an open top like the TJ but I like the enclosed XJ Trailer better.

I'm not far from you either, for when you get going and would like some help.
I retired last year so I have a lot of disposable time to help out, if you need an extra pair of hands.

I would appreciate picking up some do and don't off your project for mine!
Been fabricating cars and trucks for years, so I know my way around a tool box.

Curtis

carcrafter22

Adventurer
Thanks Curtis, I'll try to let you know when we start the trailer. I've been home from my buisness trip for a couple days now and the wife and I measured our WJ diesel project in the shop today and there is plenty of room to fit a full queen size matress (8" memory foam from walmart) up front and still keep the cargo area behind the rear seats as storage. We are also thinking of making another storage area above the rear seats where our feet and legs will be while laying on the matress.

I also got a good look at the firewall for planning on how to seal it all up and we came up with a simple plan. We will more than likely just leave the window in place and sheet metal the firewall with some 22 gauge aluminum using body adhesive (stuff they assemble car bodies with so its strong) then fiberglass the edges to smooth it into the doors for a clean look.

The only thing I'm still unsure about so far is the axle being so far away from the tongue but we will find out as soon as we try it I guess.

keane

Observer
I hate to bring back a old thread, but did this ever get finished? I have gc that i am looking at doing this to, and wanted to know if it worked out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles