eXpeditionXterra Build Up

eXpeditionXterra

Adventurer
Ok, going to kinda post these one at a time, but here is the evolution of the suspension work on the Xterra. Works great for all terrain situations, rocks, rough roads, you name it. The system provides additional travel, and a little over 3" of lift.

At the same time, I got some goodies to install from Automotive Customizers http://www.4x4parts.com

- 3.7:1 low range transfer case gears
- Front ARB air locker
- Rear ARB air locker

It begins
SLR01.jpg

Calimini... no good!
SLR02.jpg

SLR05.jpg

SLR03.jpg

SLR04.jpg

Gusseted lower control arms, and UCA's in
SLR06.jpg

Upper hoops and fitting for bump stops begins
SLR07.jpg

Getting closer, bump stop mounts welded and tested, gussets on upper shock hoop, and bump stop contact pad welded in. T-bars and chromoly T-Bar anchors/adjusters installed. Front Diff back in, with new ARB locker installed.
SLR08.jpg

Still need res. bracketry and new brake lines
SLR09.jpg

Welds to strengthen contact between frame and UCA mounts
SLR10.jpg

Last edited:

eXpeditionXterra

Adventurer
Work begins on rear end.. all brake lines, fuel lines, return lines, and breather lines have to be re-routed. The deaver main leaf was redesigned to sit 3/4" back from stock to eliminate rubbing on rear fenders.
SLR11.jpg

SLR12.jpg

SLR13.jpg

SLR14.jpg

Last edited:

eXpeditionXterra

Adventurer
eXpeditionXterra: T-Cooler

I ended up going with the larger B&M oil cooler. It works great!! Down here in the heat, my tranny can get really hot especially at low speeds. With our mechanical fans, the fan speed and CFM are directly related to your RPM's. Slow traffic, stop lights, and especially offroading, can be hell on an auto tranny because it gets so hot. This sucker kicks the fan on at a set temp and cuts it off when the temp drops.

I have tested it, and it works excellent. At the same time, I installed a temp manifold on the HOT line coming from the tranny to get a good idea of what temp the oil is once it filters through the tranny. I had a guage in there forever, and now it finally does somthing!! haha.

In the pictures it looks like the tranny cooler is massive, but it really isn't very big. It's about 13" wide. Ignore the red electrical tape and jumble of wires, that has all since been fixed.

Additionally: The cooler has been moved to accomodate the winch. It was rotated 45 dagrees right.

On to the pics:

tcooler1.jpg

tcooler2.jpg

tsensor.jpg

Last edited:

eXpeditionXterra

Adventurer
eXpeditionXterra: Scanguage II

Installed to be able to check ODBII codes while on the trail. I keep a reference book with me. Also installed for the purpose of knowing true MPH with the change due to tires. MPG, dist to empty and other data as well.

scanguage.jpg

Last edited:

eXpeditionXterra

Adventurer
eXpeditionXterra: Tripple Battery System

Only minor fabrication is needed to install the two front batteries, which is drilling holes in the stock battery pan, to mount the new custom made, steel black powder coated battery pan.

The THIRD battery is a total custom job. TONS OF FABRICATION

dualbatt07.jpg

dualbatt08.jpg

One other thing that needs to be changed, is the oil res has to be slightly relocated, and the brass hookup that jacks in to the engine will also have to be bent just slightly.

dualbatt03.jpg

dualbatt05.jpg

Also, the main wire harness that jacks in to the fuse junction under the hood needs to be pushed slightly downward. And the battery temp sensor needs to be moved slightly forward.

dualbatt01.jpg

Thats it, not much work for the amount of stuff that gets fit in there. His kit uses two ODYSSEY 1200 batteries, military spec, drycell batteries. Yawan intalls these suckers in the presidents motor pool, and they had him do tests to see what the actual full load reserve time is. Average was 90 minutes each. Some more, some less. These batteries kick ***.

This system uses a relay isolation, so there is no voltage or amperage loss like other systems out there. There are three different operating modes controlled by a switch inside the truck.

For additional information, see these two documents:

Dual Battery Flyer

Odyssey Info

Here is a final picture:

dualbattfinish01.jpg

dualbattfinish02.jpg

The rear battery has gone is as a part of the rear cargo re-design project, creating a new sub-floor, and mounting rails, drawers, etc. The rear battery is the same one used in the U.S. Bradley Fighting Vehicle. ODYSSEY 2150 seriese.

It is also isolated and crontrolled by two switches in the dash.

rearbattery.jpg

Last edited:

eXpeditionXterra

Adventurer
eXpeditionXterra: Compressor

Ok, this ARB compressor was installed mostly for just running the front and rear lockers, but COULD be used to air tires in an emergency.

We just ran a feed in to the Powertank ARB manifold I already had, with a check valve in-line. This way, I can use my ARB compressor for the lockers, or my Powertank for the lockers. We also have quick disconnects at the front and rear of the vehicle. This means I can air up tires with the Powertank, or the compressor.

On to the pics..

compressor1.jpg

compressor2.jpg

Last edited:

eXpeditionXterra

Adventurer
Reserve time due to fridge and heat here in the desert.

Plus with that much battery, I can run a massive amp behind my ham radio to reach out and toutch someone.

eXpeditionXterra

Adventurer
eXpeditionXterra: Guages

Addition guages installed. Added a T-fitting for the air lines.

I wanted an air guage inside because I wasn't able to monitor the pressure to my ARB manifold. So I fabbed up a mounting bracket and installed these:

tfitting.jpg

guages.jpg

night.jpg

Last edited:

eXpeditionXterra

Adventurer
eXpeditionXterra: Exhaust

Had a Magnaflow installed and custom bent.

The sound is great! Nice and mellow, not too harsh. Just right.

magnaflow.jpg

Last edited:

eXpeditionXterra

Adventurer
eXpeditionXterra: Winch

Warn XD9000i installed!!! It's so beautiful.. *tear*

warn1.jpg

warn2.jpg

warn3.jpg

Can't have a winch without recovery gear.

recovery.jpg

Last edited:

eXpeditionXterra

Adventurer
And of course, the Eezi-Awn roof tent.

This shot shows the start of the rear cargo design. Engel fridge, pelicans with spare parts /gear. Powertank 10LBS C02 tank. And the Skid-Row rear swingaway tire carrier.

The next part of the rear cargo design is the stove mounting/natural gas.

rooftent.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier