Recomended Rugged/Tough Phones

Sirocco

Explorer
Is there a need for Rugged/Tough phones for backcountry/overland use? I have for a while wanted one, just because it is tough. I dont have a habit of breaking phones (only 1). My current Sony (k810i) is pretty sturdy if very scratched.

I recently bought a Panasonic CF P2 off ebay because it was cheap, but it is massive! no good for everyday use.

My contract is up and I was going to leave, but they have offered me a good deal and another phone. Samsung B2100, simple, but rugged.

So what are everyone elses views?

Other activities for us include Kayaking, mountain biking, hiking, scrambling, fishing etc. we generally spend a lot of time outdoors but is it enough?

discuss :coffeedrink:

G

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Have been very happy with my Casio GZone Boulder phone that I got 2 years ago. It's water/shock resistant and I've dropped in numerous times with no ill effects. Works great, too. I'm on Verizon and my experience is that if I don't have coverage, nobody has coverage and if anybody has coverage, I do. At least in the US.

Also has a cool 'flashlight' feature which is probably more useful than a lot of things cell phones have on them nowadays.

Sirocco

Explorer
Forgot to add, i am looking at a Sonim XP3. Does anyone have any experience with them?

G

edit: sorry, this is in the wrong section, MODS, can it be moved to comms please. apologies.

Last edited:

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Have been very happy with my Casio GZone Boulder phone that I got 2 years ago. It's water/shock resistant and I've dropped in numerous times with no ill effects. Works great, too. I'm on Verizon and my experience is that if I don't have coverage, nobody has coverage and if anybody has coverage, I do. At least in the US.

Also has a cool 'flashlight' feature which is probably more useful than a lot of things cell phones have on them nowadays.

^^ I couldnt agree more with Verizons coverage.

I have the new Casio Rock, the newest model of the Boulder mentioned above. Ruggedized, waterproof, compass, tidal calender etc.. it's a great outdoorsman's phone.

EDIT: Heres a link..

http://www.casiogzone.com/rock/

Last edited:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I second the Casio GZone...I haven't been able to kill mine, despite it being dunked in water, dropped, vibrated and beaten....

-H-

Sirocco

Explorer
that network means nothing to me... Im in the UK! we cannot get those phones either :( noticed the tide thing, neat. I have my Nixon Tide Rover SS watch for that though ;) Sonim is looking like the favorite, just trying to hammer down on price now though.

G

bucketosudz

Explorer
If I were in the UK I would have a Sonim in short order. When I can use a Sonim on Verizon's network without having an "unlocked" phone, I will have one here. Until then I believe the Casio as mentioned is a Great option.

Token

Explorer
Anything that will fit in an Otterbox will instantly become rugged and somewhat water resistant..

Sirocco

Explorer
so handsets aside, what are peoples views on actually needing a ruggedised handset? do you have one and feel you need it? do you break phones and feel you need it? does your current phone manage ok?

just getting a feel for peoples views :)

G

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
that network means nothing to me... Im in the UK! we cannot get those phones either :( noticed the tide thing, neat.

G

Ooops, sorry missed that lil tidbit.

To answer your latest question.. yes. I have never damaged a phone from water.. but have dropped them numerous times. Once the phone wouldnt power backup. Simple warranty replacement cured that, water damage is not covered on my policy.

My last phone was a Motorola W755 and i never had issues, kept it for 4 years. My carrier offers incentives to upgrade after a contract and the phone i mentioned earlier only cost me $50 so i thought it prudent to pick it up.

Actually, i had the 755 warranted once also.. dropped it and the internal antenna failed.

Guess i do need a ruggedized phone. :sombrero:

S

Street Wolf

Blackberry Pearl 8100

411nA8CWTTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

jh504

Explorer
Anything that will fit in an Otterbox will instantly become rugged and somewhat water resistant..

:iagree:

I use Blackberry's and refused to spend the money on the Otterbox for a while. I figured I could get by with a simple hard case. After ruining an 8330 I decided to spend the money on it. I work full-time EMS and wear the phone on my hip. It sees all kinds of abuse and is still going strong.

robert

Expedition Leader
I'm still using an old Motorola E815; it's a pretty basic phone but I haven't killed it yet and I work EMS (oilfield for the last year though) and take it everywhere including mountain biking and motorcycling. Verizon keeps trying to get me to trade up but it's hard to find phones with a good battery capacity and an external antenna port (an external antenna, especially with an amp, greatly increases coverage). I could care less about texting and that's what most seem to be geared towards now.

jh504

Explorer
I'm still using an old Motorola E815; it's a pretty basic phone but I haven't killed it yet and I work EMS (oilfield for the last year though) and take it everywhere including mountain biking and motorcycling. Verizon keeps trying to get me to trade up but it's hard to find phones with a good battery capacity and an external antenna port (an external antenna, especially with an amp, greatly increases coverage). I could care less about texting and that's what most seem to be geared towards now.

Thats actually the phone we used to have on our ambulance's for 12 lead transmission. They were pretty tough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz