Sirocco Overland's Trailer Project

Sirocco

Explorer
Evening folks,

thought I would share a recent purchase of mine, A Sankey based Overland Trailer :wings:

Inspiration taken from my brothers across the pond (ie, you) we have opted for a trailer to tow behind the D90.

Now I cannot take credit for the box Body, it was built by another forum member. He also extended the A frame by 12" so the wheelbase is now very close to my 90 (the original owner did not do it for this purpose). Many more features/plans for the build. 1st is to replace the floor with trailerboard and build a rack for my Maggiolina to sit on. after that a colour match repray is on the cards... Epsom Green :coffeedrink:

Some photo's for you from a recent greenlane (read backcountry) trip where I was very impressed by its capabilities.

18701d1285702040-griffdowgs-wales-trip-sept-2010-dsc_0025.jpg

18686d1285627695-overland-trailer-sankey-based-dsc_0024.jpg

18689d1285627695-overland-trailer-sankey-based-dsc_0073.jpg

18690d1285627695-overland-trailer-sankey-based-dsc_0089.jpg

no doubt many more questions to follow. main plans are a water tank within the chassis, a kitchen section, some slide out drawers or rails for boxes, awning mount and the roof rack to hold the tent/waffle boards/table. Debating electrics, but it looks like I will fit a battery for lighting and 12v acc. the fridge will stay in the 90 along with clothes and food.

that is all for now! :ylsmoke:

greentruck

Adventurer
Sirocco,
Thanks for the pics. Neat trailer!

Your comment about adjusting drawbar length to suit matching wheel bases is a good point. I've heard it before somewhere, but it rarely comes up in most discussions about modding the drawbar. People are interested in more storage there, but performance also needs to be considered as a very important point in adjusting the length of it to best suit one's needs.

Sirocco

Explorer
Sirocco,
Thanks for the pics. Neat trailer!

Your comment about adjusting drawbar length to suit matching wheel bases is a good point. I've heard it before somewhere, but it rarely comes up in most discussions about modding the drawbar. People are interested in more storage there, but performance also needs to be considered as a very important point in adjusting the length of it to best suit one's needs.

Yer i know, I did a search here and could only find a little bit of info. The trails here are super super tight so you need the trailer to perform. Tight switchbacks up hill with washout sections are no good if your trailer is cutting corners and riding banks! Im very pleased with it and if I can sort out the paperwork this rig will be coming with us to Siberia in 2013 :drool:

Sounds great!

Where were those pics taken?

My wife's from Winchester...

Cheers,
Mark

Hi Mark, Ha! nowhere near Winchester :ylsmoke: Its pretty flat there, most of the lanes are through farmland and forestry. The pics where taken in my homeland of Wales :) we go there the most as we live just over the border in Bristol. It provides some of the most challenging terrain in the UK along with the Peak and Lake District.

G

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
I've always wanted to visit the 'top left hand corner of Wales'!

Thanks for the pics.

Looking forward to the build.

Cheers
Mark

Sirocco

Explorer
I've always wanted to visit the 'top left hand corner of Wales'!

Thanks for the pics.

Looking forward to the build.

Cheers
Mark

Its one of the best places along with the bottom left :) If your ever over here, drop me a PM and I can show you the local lanes :ylsmoke:

G

Sirocco

Explorer
Thought I would bring this one back to the top. I got the trailer back home after being sat at my folks in Wales for nearly a year!

Work has progressed, stripped the A frame right back removing all the brake parts, jockey wheel etc. got 3 new 255/85 KM2s on the wolf rims, sprayed black. I have taken off the Gravelly latches as they were really bad, I dont recommend them. I have a set of overcentre catches at the office which I will pick up Monday and fit next week.

I downloaded Sketchup last night (after seeing some awesome examples here!) and had a bash. This is what I came up with and some other pics of progess.

Next I need to build a rack for the maggiolina and the design is also attached. what do people think structurally? and what size box section and thickness should I be going for?

Any help appreciated.

G

Attachments

• L1130493.JPG
    L1130493.JPG
    531.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Rack.jpg
    Rack.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 38
  • trailer_v1a.jpg
    trailer_v1a.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 75
  • trailer_v1.jpg
    trailer_v1.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 77
  • L1130494.JPG
    L1130494.JPG
    728.9 KB · Views: 41
  • L1130492.JPG
    L1130492.JPG
    488.3 KB · Views: 33
  • L1130657.JPG
    L1130657.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
  • L1130655.JPG
    L1130655.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
  • L1130656.JPG
    L1130656.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Sirocco

Explorer
Any thoughts on what size box section to use guys? could really do with your input. I was thinking 2" square. what thickness? is 3mm too much? I was thinking 2.5mm.

Also does my design look ok? The trailer body is just folded sections of steel plate with internal bulkhead strengthening. There is no real frame to it.

Cheers,

G

Sirocco

Explorer
Offered up the Maggiolina on the metal I ordered (75x50mm main rails with 50x50mm on top) It fits much better than I thought, no real overhang.

IMGP0040.JPGIMGP0038.JPGIMGP0039.JPG

Just need to weld it all up not and attach the tent.

G

I think you might be overdoing it on the tent rack. Mine is simply supported on 2 1"x2" x 1/8" rails (roughly 25mmx50mmx3mm). That's it. That's all it needs. Now, those rails are in turn well-supported by the structure of the trailer, so you need to get that right. I advise against using 3 rails in any case. If the 3 rails are out of plane for any reason at all, fabrication tollerance, frame flex, etc, it will impose a strong bending load on the tent floor. 2 rails is enough, and eliminates this problem.

Last edited:

Sirocco

Explorer
I think you might be overdoing it on the tent rack. Mine is simply supported on 2 1"x2" x 1/8" rails (roughly 25mmx50mmx3mm). That's it. That's all it needs. Now, those rails are in turn well-supported by the structure of the trailer, so you need to get that right. I advise against using 3 rails in any case. If the 3 rails are out of plane for any reason at all, fabrication tollerance, frame flex, etc, it will impose a strong bending load on the trailer floor. 2 rails is enough, and eliminates this problem.

That is just the advice I needed (before I spend £100 on the ruddy metal!) :ylsmoke:

Your probably right and im still not convinced myself yet.

Im just worried about the trailer body as its just folded sheet metal. Im going to run the 2 main rails close ish to the edge (around 6") as I believe this is where most of the strength in the structure will be, then the (now) 2 cross rails on top of that for the RTT. This should also give me the height for the spare to be mounted on the A frame.

Thanks for your help/input.

anymore from anyone? speak up :)

G

Sorry, that should have read "bending load on the tent floor".

You're right, the fact that the whole thing is made from bend sheetmetal is a bit of an issue. What thickness? Your strongest points will be right at the front and rear corners, and on top of that "pillar" in front of the wheels.

Sirocco

Explorer
Sorry, that should have read "bending load on the tent floor".

You're right, the fact that the whole thing is made from bend sheetmetal is a bit of an issue. What thickness? Your strongest points will be right at the front and rear corners, and on top of that "pillar" in front of the wheels.

I think its 1.5 or 2mm zinctec. It was made by the previous owner. There is an internal bulkhead which seperated those doors you can see. There is also a length of box section that runs from the rear door to that bulkhead to support the roof. But again its only tied into the other sheets.

So the main rails will be just inboard of the corners by 4" or so. im going to use tabs and strengthening plates on the underside (within the trailer body) and im also going to run 2 lengths of box section down the front and pick up the chassis rail on the A frame which should add a lot more strength.

G

Sirocco

Explorer
Progress 08.02.12

Progress update,

Rack finished off, mounted Maggiolina.

Inside painted, kitchen galley sections finished and number plate light on.

Now I can concerntrate on fitting out the kitchen, getting the water tank in and sliding drawer for the rear.

G

Attachments

• kitchen.jpg
    kitchen.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 7
  • interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 9
  • maggy.jpg
    maggy.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 11

Forum statistics