Flashlights

troyboy162

Adventurer
Huge thread so I didn't read it all but I use multiple flashlights for my hobby of mine exploring. I need lthe most light I can get and back ups to back ups since single points of failure are not a option regardless of perceived brand quality.

Budgetlightforums.com is where I would go looking for the latest and greatest lights. With a little research you can find good $10-$40 lights outperforming $100-$400 lights. LED aluminum bodied flashlights are not rocket science and need not be expensive.

I will say that Id only leave a CR123, or traditional battery flashlight in a hot vehicle. Rechargeable LIPO batteries and high interior temps wouldn't make me feel good, but I am over cautious. I take my flashlights camping/wheeling and on road trips but they dont live in the truck 24/7

So I usually wheel with a flashlight the shape of a coke can (2200lm) in my backpack and a headlamp a bit longer then a 12 gauge turkey shell in my pocket (750lm). I use the 18650 size batteries in everything for there long life, high output and low cost.

rowerwet

As an airplane mechanic i spend plenty of time out in the dark, or looking into dark holes inside the plane. I carry a flashlight on me at work, after many types, from minimag to Cree and Coleman, I found myself buying the next flashlight to keep on my toolbox, for when the current one died. I only buy led and will not buy anything that wont run on AA or AAA as my employer stocks those types for us. until I got a maglite xl50 none has lasted over a year. I have two spares in my tool box both xl50's and probably won't need them for some time based on the way this one lasts.

iron dingo

Observer
I am in the mag light camp but I always have headlamps cause i like the hands-free aspect. Since i do a lot of hiking and backpacking i have ended up with these E+light cause they are incredibly light and can be tossed in any pocket or glove box and the head strap can be a wrist strap and also aimable. I was worried about batteries but when I looked on amazon I found this Battries

zelatore

Explorer
I tried the Maglite xl50 but was very disappointed. The first one died (switch as I recall) and the second just never put out the light I expected. I liked the size and price but ended up giving up on it. After that I went to the fenix which was admittedly much more expensive but is in a whole different league performance wise.

SnowedIn

Observer
I'm still trucking along with a Fenix TK11 I picked up for work ~4 years ago. It spent part of it's work life kicking around in a vehicle mounted on a shotgun; now, it's mostly used for ID'ing critters and vehicle repairs.

I use the 18650 batteries in it and always have the charger and various cables/adapters for it in my vehicle. I don't think I charge it more than once every other month.

The other lights I use frequently are a Tikka LED headlamp and Princeton Tec Attitude. The Attitude in particular is as waterproof as I'll ever need it to be and extremely inexpensive. Both of these lights use AAA batteries, and a small battery caddy of them typically lasts me the whole year.

You don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get a really nice flashlight setup.

XpeditonTERRA

I used a maglite xl50 for years and was always happy with it. Its a great light for 30 dollars. But recently it started acting a little erratic. So I started researching for a new light and settled on a foursevens quark tactical 2a (qt2a). It is a great simple light. One advantage is it can use recharchable and lithium batteries. I have had it for a few months and I am happy with it. Quark has a pretty good selection of lights if you ask me.

As for a headlamp I use a Petzle tactikka. It is also a great light but I am kind of wanting an AA headlamp to match my hand held light. I just cant find one I like.

RangerXLT

Adventurer
I've been using a Pelican 1920 for a few months now, very satisfied with Pelican overall, so I naturally decided to try one of their flashlights out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ssiilas

Not really sure if this should go in the camping section or here, but I consider my flashlights 'tools.' I am looking for a few new flashlights, for the tow rig, trail rig, around the house etc.

I would like to have a good small flashlight that is reliable and powerful and easy enough to fit in my pocket and carry around camping or where ever, probably around 3 inches or so long? I would also like a larger flashlight for the tow rig to keep when I need to do walk arounds when i stop at rest areas at night and check on the straps, I would also use this camping but I want something powerful and very bright.

So do you guys have any suggestions for good quality tac flashlights that can take a fair amount of abuse before they stop working? I need something that will handle extreme conditions and stupid use.:)

-Alex

Fenix, J5 or Streamlight are all recommended. I have Fenix and J5 and they have done very well in the past two years. They have a sturdy outer shell, so they are also suitable as defense tools. Whether I go camping or taking a walk, I will bring one of them.

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
Here's my pocket light, got it from Amazon of course....LOL Not expensive at all, has two brightneses and will light up a good size back yard. Charges with a phone cable from computer or whatever USB outlet you have. Charge last quite a while.

off.jpgon.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke