Flashlights

ThomD

Explorer
I recently bought a Quark QTAA2 Turbo AA2 for my bug out bag. Comparable to my Surefire L4, but only $75.

Superu

Explorer
X2 on the Maglites.

I have several that are over 16 years old and have never failed me. I've converted all but the 5 D Cell to LED and they are super bright, adjustable, have long battery life and are extremely durable.

Mini-mag with LED conversion.
2D Mag with LED conversion.
3D Mag with LED conversion.
5D Mag with krypton bulb.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I carried this for many years on car wrecks, inside structure fires, ect..ect.. In fact, all the rescues and firetrucks in the city have them mounted inside the cab. After about 6 years I replaced the battery on mine. Now it is my "House emergency" light. We leave it charged and by the front door. Truly an awesome light. http://www.streamlight.com/product/class.aspx?cid=4

burnoil

Adventurer
I find that Surefire flashlights are minimal bang for lots of buck. Durable, sure. Bright, absolutely. Worth it? Maybe...

I am not here to say anyone screwed up buying a Surefire. I just don't see them as being worth it for the price.

I have since dumped all of my Surefires (an A2 and a few others, including 1 G2 Nitrolon) and replaced them with a Fenix and just recently, Eagle-Tac LED lights. Fenix and Eagle-Tac (as well as a slew of other Chinese manufacturers) are pretty similar, but the ET's have been the cheapest in cost with the best in quality for that price/performance range. They are made of anodized aluminum. The anodizing is serviceable, but not great. Not a big deal to me.

My Eagle Tacs (and the one Fenix) are carried in all my vehicles. They are used for maintenance, get dropped here and there, go camping, soaked in water, oil, sometimes diesel/gas. They get used hard. None have quit. battery life is very good. They are very, very bright with nice focused beams.

If American companies could compete with the price/performance these lights offer I would buy USA-made in a heartbeat. Until then, money talks and the reliability has been equal.

ryguy

Adventurer
I bought on of the lightforce flashlights and really like it. I have only had it for a couple months so I can't speak of its longevity. That said I carry a mag in my truck thats older than I am.

Blain

Adventurer
Been using a Fenix for many years -works great, compact, powerful.

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of the Fenix lights!!!!

Their on par with brightness/durability of other hight quality light makers, and cost about 1/2 the price. I have 2 hand held ones, and their new 230 lumen head lamp! Might be over kill, but it's awesome!

esh

Explorer
I picked up a little Fenix LD01 (80 lumen, 1xAAA, 3 brightness levels) at Fry's. Fantastic light and was brighter shooting across the Wedge than my 17 LED mega and Surfire-like tactical.

iigs

Observer
Flashlight hack $10 Police Flashlight Hack!
We tested this earlier this summer and its amazingly bright with a good light pattern.
We tested against a surefire & maglights and they, lost to this flashlight mod

This is interesting and I might try it out. The price is sure right, and I think I have some spare 123 cells.

FWIW the bulb they show is 6v and 3x3v batteries = 9v. I suspect that this has bad implications for bulb durability. (but at that price, who cares?)

digitaldelay

Explorer
Fenix

Another vote here for Fenix LED's. Great value vs. Surefire and Streamlight. (All 3 are of excellent quality, just different price points.)

I have a Fenix no bigger than my pinky finger and my 4D incandescent Mag looks like a candle in comparison! :Wow1: That said, I'll always have a soft spot for MagLites. Most of mine are converted to LED now.

For as many handheld flashlights that I have, I find it's my headlamps that really save the day when I'm doing hands-on tasks. Consider getting one with both short and long range LED bulbs.

Jason

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Another vote for Fenix flashlights, along with 4 Sevens. http://www.4sevens.com/
I collect flashlights and just love my Fenix and 4Sevens lights.

For those of you who like Surefires ( I have a few ) look into retrofitting your old ones with a new Cree L.E.D. reflector. World of improvement.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Check out these lights from Nebo.

http://http://www.nebotools.com/cat.php?cid=16

Very inexpensive. Of course they're Chinese, but almost all of the LED lights are coming out of China. I've purchased several hundred of these for our industrial supply house, with only 2 returns (so far).

Expect more (returns that is)

We sell these at work. They are returned non-op all the time.

That said, nebo is getting MUCH better. They just introduced their Redline. And it is no joke.

I picked up one a few weeks ago as a demo. Yesterday I purchased an entire case of them. They will be family stocking-stuffers this year.

Very cool lights. And every bit as bright as they claim. 220 lumen is INTENSE from such a small light.

dms1

Explorer
Costco has a deal on a 3D LED Maglite and a 2AA LED mini mag light for $25.00, I picked one up and can say this is a great deal.

51861-skIyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne