BigJerm's where the heck am I going LJ build

bob91yj

Resident **************
I like the look but would hate to live with it on a daily basis, much less a long trip with two people in the cab.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Nice truck... I'd personaly get some Tall skinny tires to replace those big wide ones, but that's just my preference. Ohterwise I'm totaly with you on the things you want to change/have changed... I love those LJ's Even as a die-hard Toyota guy now I still find myself gawking over those truck ALOT. There's just something about the Long-WB Wrangler Variants that I like so much more then the super short ones. Personaly I think the LJ's are one of THE best looking jeeps ever made and I'd love to have one to play around with. PLus it's Ruby so it's got ALOT of great bits from the factory to make it a real trail-killer.

Neat truck and good luck on the build mate.

Cheers

Dave

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
Bob I have started thinking the same thing. If it was a weekend rig it would be cool but as a DD it would suck. Add 2 people, some exspensive gear, grocery shopping, or anything you might would want to keep in the covered area and you are screwed. Not to mention I could buy a hard top for not much more than the half hard top.

4Rescue its not a Rubi sadly enough so 30 front, 44 rear and 3.73 gears with no lockers.

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
Bob I have started thinking the same thing. If it was a weekend rig it would be cool but as a DD it would suck. Add 2 people, some exspensive gear, grocery shopping, or anything you might would want to keep in the covered area and you are screwed. Not to mention I could buy a hard top for not much more than the half hard top.

4Rescue its not a Rubi sadly enough so 30 front, 44 rear and 3.73 gears with no lockers.

You do have a limited slip in the 44 though. I guess he got confused with your avatar.

Nikson

Explorer
Congrats on the LJ... just picked one up myself yesterday in LA area.

Anyways,,, any specific reason for the Metal Cloak and not another brand?

I am not seeing how the front wheels been so "uncovered" makes them practical?

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
Ha its practical in the sense I didn't have the cash to afford the front flares! They are coming quickly though. A drive down a country road can mean mud everywhere!

Metalcloaks were my choice because they require no welding and no cutting (unless you buy the cut out rears like I did). They have done well, look great and no real issues.

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
So just an update: I have installed 35" MTR's, Currie Antirock, Skidrow Steering skid, Ten Factory front axle shafts, Aussie front locker and Rough Country tie rod.

DSCF0472.jpg

Antirock and Skid
DSCF0471.jpg

DSCF0477.jpg

DSCF0479.jpg

Tie Rod
c102021a.jpg

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
Lets see... blew a rear shock at Choccolocco mtn and replaced the cheap Pro Comps with Old Man Emu shocks... So much better! Looking to replace the fronts before I drive to Harlan.

dbb53b75.jpg

Tired of dragging the belly so I put on an UnderCover Fab belly skid and JMS motor mount lift. Fit and finish is good, had to modify the exhaust hanger by the transmission so the exhaust would stay away from my front upper control arm.

12dc60cb.jpg

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
Very nice combo of parts

Thanks!

Did some rewire work this past weekend. Picked up a new fuse box and some relays to do it right. Drilled a 1/2" hole in the passenger fire wall to run wires and mounted the fuse box under the passenger dash. I still can't run wires cleanly but at least my jeep shouldn't burn down! And finally wired up my rear rock light.

6cd201b0-81b5-1136.jpg

6cd201b0-81c0-aaea.jpg

Last edited:

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
Not much but added the Smittybuilt rear tire carrier. I was surprised by how well it held up in Harlan with minimal rattle. It will rattle a lot less when I install the rubber bumper on the body. They have changed the design a little from first production models it seems. It's nice to have the tire out of the back and have the room of the LJ back for use.

6cd201b0-de47-c1fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
Appreciate it. It's pretty much the same except new front upper control arms. I had 1 stock arm rip apart, the other was really close to it when I replaced them with Rock Krawler arms.

Stock arms:

aje4ejer.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles