BigJerm's where the heck am I going LJ build

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
Well this is my 3rd Wrangler now and I plan to actually build this one. I had a 2 door JK, 4 door Rubicon and after owning both I didnt find what I wanted. After driving around in a truck we (I say we because this is the lady's favorite Jeep too) found a 2006 LJ. Believe it or not it only had 14,000 miles on it :wings: It has a soft top with tinted windows, 6 speed, D30 front, D44 rear with LSD and looks like the poor Jeep has never seen anything but maybe a gravel road.

It does have some mods done to it:

Good
-2" Pro Comp suspension lift
-Best top rear tire carrier (bolts to the body)
-35" pro comp mud terrains

Bad
-3" body lift
-Chrome front/rear tube bumpers
-Chrome tube steps
-Chrome grille overlay
-Chrome tail light covers
-Mickey Thompson classics simulated beadlocks 15x10

5763a301.jpg

1a3dde72.jpg

8c7d7c1f.jpg

The plan: I am going for this idea in my mind of a hybrid of many styles: Budget, Rock Crawler, Overland and general purpose vehicle. I want it to do a lot good, but I don't plan for my budget to make it do anything great. I am not going to tear the body up on the jeep rock crawling, I don't get enough time off for big Overland trips, and most of my driving is daily and would love to have a rig that was a cool tailgate vehile. Oh and I love the LCG builds so that too!

Stage 1:
-Stock front and rear bumpers without the floaties (done)
-Metalcloak front highline fenders and rear fender flares (ordered)
-1" BL for the 3" BL (ordered)
-CB (done)
-Body Armor rock rails
-Spartan front auto locker
-Steering skid
-Engine skid

Stage 2:
-Winch Plate
-Smittybuilt XRC8
-Hi-lift and mount it on the spare tire carrier
-On board air

Later mods in no certain order:
-Belly up
-Fridge (i like the ARB)
-Roof rack maybe? I like and dislike it all the same
-If I get a roof rack, I will get something going with an awning system
-Quick disco's or maybe the anti-rock sway system

And then just keep on going. Parts will get bought as sales and price drops or I find them used. Its all about budget but doing it right. Thanks for reading my long post, pretty bored at work.

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
Ok so atleast got the bumpers and the CB. iPhone camera pictures (front Chrome Grille is removed now)

ee7d5c75.jpg

3d541a25.jpg

ff40c91d.jpg

Metalcloak flares will be here tomorrow and then its time to paint and prep from a fender/body lift install this weekend

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
I already pulled. It doesnt look bad but I dont think it will look right the the black high line fender style of the metalcloaks.

I forgot to add, i got all kinds of ideas swirling in my head after being on here so much. Ideas of water tanks and pumps, setting up a trailer, RTT, I mean you people may really cost me some money in the long run of the "budget hybrid" build. I just keep thinking about certain situations like when camping or tailgate or just a long road trip and all the times I have said, "it sure would be nice to have...."

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
Welcome to the LJ family!

Already looking better without the chrome tube bumpers. I would ditch that 3" body lift ASAP!

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
Welcome to the LJ family!

Already looking better without the chrome tube bumpers. I would ditch that 3" body lift ASAP!

It will be gone by Saturday night. Got the 1" daystar in my garage now. I would have done no BL but I know i will do a belly up and maybe move the gas tank up one day

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
I like your LJ and the 1 above it! You don't know how happy I was to find an LJ. Anyways, 1 is that a power inverter in your center console (I see plugs on the back side)? 2. Where do you run the power for your stuff? The only good hole through the firewall I have found is a large rubber piece under the dash on the driver side. An inverter is in my plans but I didnt include it and other smaller things in the build list. Those I can obtain between forking out the big bucks.

monele

Adventurer
The inverter is disassembled and I made a custom harness. Pretty sure I used the big grommet under the dash then came around through the center console pieces. Only the wiring for the plugs and switch are run (in separate enclosed chases) the inverter is under the hood above the little tray at the back on the drivers side. I wrapped it in a shop-vac prefilter to keep gack out. Been running that way for 3 years now. (I haven't gotten it wet, I am sure a full submersion would do it in) Most of the other crap I built too.

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
Thats pretty cool but probably above me electronic skill. I plan to have on board air of some kind even if its just the compressor, a way for power and water because those are usually the top 3 "if I only had..." while out in the Jeep or camping.

goldenbeagle

Adventurer
I dig the LJ's :costumed-smiley-007

Glad to see the chrome has been removed...I myself am not a fan!

But honestly....put the front locker in, winch, come up with some storage...than go find some adventure.

Just my 2 cents! :coffee:

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
well the fenders are first as they are sitting on my garage floor waiting for their final coats of paint tonight. I have thought about it and your way might be the way soon. Rock rails, front locker, winch, bumper hi-lift and start working on the "other" things like OBA and the converter. While I think skid plates are needed I dont feel there are a must right away unless I start to get crazy on the rocks then thats a whole new issue

monele

Adventurer
There are some good choices out there for air. I went with a Viair portable (200 or 300 series, don't remember) and it has served me well. I often air up others out on the trail and this makes it easy. A bunch of folks I know have the little Qmax (also sold as a Smitty Built) and it is surprisingly good for its size and price. (for a while costco had them for $49!!)

I also carry a Zodi with we when I plan to dry camp (well, no toilet anyway, I like to be by a stream) I have a single burner with the hard case that doubles as a bucket. I can even fit a cloth tarp in the case with some rope for a quick modesty panel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles