V1500 Suburban, lift it 4" or 6"?

Backroad Explorer

Adventurer
x3 on the 4" lift and 35' tires but I went with 4.56 R&P Front & Rear. That made towing and Exploring much easier on the diff's. Cuctom steps made it easy for my 72 year old mom to drive Big Red.
scan0002.jpg

Towing our restored 1972 25ft Travel-Eze
scan0001-1.jpg

Last edited:

gloriavoxdei

Adventurer
I love the traveleze, we have a 1970 Aristocrat 17st that I'm going to be restoring. Been awesome with out 3 kids, just put the older 2 on the bunk over the dinette and the baby sleeps on the dinette folded down, my wife and I sleep on the fold out gaucho. I love spending all that time with my family, best investment I've ever made and only $800.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
The truck that I was referring to, on 285's in this picture (Early June in So.CA):

PackingupSunMorn-1.jpg

Might be a 4" lift, the fronts are a very uncommon Rancho p/n specifically made to be a "pre-runner" spring for K5's. It can be found in their numerical listing, but not in their applications listing. They are something like 9 very thin leaves and have the lowest spring rate of any offering for a K5. Ride quality is exceptional and has been commented on by others who are familiar with how these trucks ride. I think that the brand name offering them scares off most people. The rears are a set of custom Nationals.

Basically you only need a lift to give the front axle some room for compression travel. As they come stock they have almost none. Any lift beyond that is pointless.

gm4x4lover

Observer
After having a hand full of solid axle burbs blazers and trucks i think the best combo is 2" front and 3-4" rear with a slightly beefier pack. My last suburban had 4.88's, 35's, and i towed alot with it mostly in 8k range. The 10 bolts in the half tons are stronger in the 89 and newer models. They had a thicker shaft (comparable to the 14 bolt sf) and a 30 spline count. I ran that burb like that for years towing and wheeling the snot out of it. I now have a k5 on 37's and 4" of lift and i like that look alot better. When i build the next burb it will be on 2" lift, 35's, and 4.56 gears. The 4.88's ate to much rpm on the highway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior