long winded writeup for on-board-hot-shower system

zags

I was thinking a simpler, less expensive version of this system could be constructed. It would be fairly easy to pressurize the water can with your OBA system, negating the need for a pump. Instead of a mixing valve, you could a use couple of inexpensive valves on the hot and cold legs tied in to a single outlet, just like faucet. Thoughts?

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
I hope this isn't to risque, if so, I appologize. Here's a similar setup on a Gwagon:

shower-original.jpeg

theksmith

Explorer
I was thinking a simpler, less expensive version of this system could be constructed. It would be fairly easy to pressurize the water can with your OBA system, negating the need for a pump. Instead of a mixing valve, you could a use couple of inexpensive valves on the hot and cold legs tied in to a single outlet, just like faucet. Thoughts?

an adjustable "Y" valve or plain "mix" valve would let you adjust temperature to compensate for how hot your particular vehicle and heat exchanger are.

00324862.jpg

most systems out there are just a 12v or "D" battery operated pump and a heat exchanger: http://www.helton.com.au/shower units.htm

you could also just power it with gravity by putting a collapsible water jug on the roof rack higher than your head and then all you have is the heat exchanger really.

lots of ways to do anything! since this wasn't a critical vehicle system, design simplicity was not a requirement for me, instead operating simplicity / ease-of-use was my primary goal.

theksmith

Explorer
I have the same problem, rust with brass connectors, where did you find solid brass ones?

i didn't - i only thought the ones i had were. these new ones are expensive as hell all aluminum Jiffy-Tite. there are cheaper plastic ones listed in my link. or you can use pressure-washer ones if you don't need auto-shut-off on them.

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
had to replace the connectors on the on-board-hot-shower due to rust issues (turns out they weren't solid brass after all) info here:

If they fail on you, try Prevost, they make the best air couplers, and have stainless fluid ones that are valved and take standard garden hose disconnect, so no silly non-standard fittings all over the place.
http://www.prevost.eu/COUPLINGS-AND-PLUGS-FOR-FLUIDS/ELS-09-COUPLINGS,en,c-c188-epc1000003.html

I've used them on my setup. (Blue one is air)
IMGP0018-L.jpg

IMG-20110928-00017-L.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior