Disco Conflicted

fowldarr

Explorer
Alright, after much soul searching and exploring my options, and dealing with the guilt over the scandalous disco pictures I've been looking at while my cruiser sits in the garage, I'm going to start my long slow search for the perfect disco. I've been reading a lot on this forum and others. But don't really have teh best idea of where to start. But here is what I've picked up.

I think I either want a Pre-99 D1, i.e. very simple, rugged, and apparently more reliable (properly maintained) then us cruiser guys usually give you credit for. Then apparently there is a space in there where the D2 did not have a diff lock? Is that right? Started up again in 03 or 04? Of course, then you are looking at significantly more money.

What else should I be looking at? Other problem areas?

I see an 04 on craigslist for cheap but has an overheating issue. I'm guessing head gasket? how do these engines handle that? Would that just be a gasket replacement, or a whole new engine?

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
If you want simplest, get a 94 or 95. Distributor ignition and don't have the immobilizer alarm crap that can die and leave you stranded. No CKP that seems prone to dying, at least prone enough that you should keep a spare.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
If it has an overheating issue and you're buying it as-is, purchase it at a price assuming the motor is done, because it quite possibly is. They don't tollerate it AT ALL.

jrose609

Explorer
Alright, after much soul searching and exploring my options, and dealing with the guilt over the scandalous disco pictures I've been looking at while my cruiser sits in the garage, I'm going to start my long slow search for the perfect disco. I've been reading a lot on this forum and others. But don't really have teh best idea of where to start. But here is what I've picked up.

I think I either want a Pre-99 D1, i.e. very simple, rugged, and apparently more reliable (properly maintained) then us cruiser guys usually give you credit for. Then apparently there is a space in there where the D2 did not have a diff lock? Is that right? Started up again in 03 or 04? Of course, then you are looking at significantly more money.

What else should I be looking at? Other problem areas?

I see an 04 on craigslist for cheap but has an overheating issue. I'm guessing head gasket? how do these engines handle that? Would that just be a gasket replacement, or a whole new engine?

There are a couple D1's up here in Boise.........on craigslist.

Chazz Layne

Administrator

There's a long list out there somewhere, but in a nutshell:

- lots of little quirks and issues were finally worked out. It seems like the folks at Land Rover tried harder because it was the last year they'd get to make a "real" Discovery. That said, there are still a lot of little quirks and issues that persist, mostly to do with the Automatic Rust-Prevention System (small leaks of every fluid possible).

- the 4.6L brought some much needed power, and is a (nearly) perfect match to the vehicle

- the 2003 is iffy because of oil pump issues and lack of CDL

- CDL. Sure the early D2s had it too, but on a modern vehicle the less used the better...

- fixed underhood wiring harness. There was an issue where, over time, the wiring harness going into the fuse box gets sliced on a jagged edge. It's easy enough to fix it, but on the 2004 it was already done at the factory.

- best headlights without the 2003 issues: separate hi/low reflectors offer better coverage and some great stealth "off-road lighting" options (for example: I run high-powered HIDs in the highs, and just never use them on the road, so I've never needed forward off-road lights).

- MANLY roof bars. The roof bars on all previous years are quite dainty looking. :D

muskyman

Explorer
There's a long list out there somewhere, but in a nutshell:

- lots of little quirks and issues were finally worked out. It seems like the folks at Land Rover tried harder because it was the last year they'd get to make a "real" Discovery. That said, there are still a lot of little quirks and issues that persist, mostly to do with the Automatic Rust-Prevention System (small leaks of every fluid possible).

- the 4.6L brought some much needed power, and is a (nearly) perfect match to the vehicle

- the 2003 is iffy because of oil pump issues and lack of CDL

- CDL. Sure the early D2s had it too, but on a modern vehicle the less used the better...

- fixed underhood wiring harness. There was an issue where, over time, the wiring harness going into the fuse box gets sliced on a jagged edge. It's easy enough to fix it, but on the 2004 it was already done at the factory.

- best headlights without the 2003 issues: separate hi/low reflectors offer better coverage and some great stealth "off-road lighting" options (for example: I run high-powered HIDs in the highs, and just never use them on the road, so I've never needed forward off-road lights).

- MANLY roof bars. The roof bars on all previous years are quite dainty looking. :D

I disagree with this..my 2001 was one of the most issue free vehichles I have ever owned and we put a ton of miles on it.

yes the 2004 gets alot of praise but as they age they sure are showing a bad habit for going through head gaskets IMHO.

the 4.0 was in no way slow for the the way a DII handles. yes the 4.6 is faster but the the 4.0's had plenty of get up and go in good condition.

Dave Legacy

Adventurer
FWIW my 2003 was in the oil pump range and hadn't failed at 115K, but I wouldn't risk it...2004 all the way. Do yourself a favor and upgrade your front driveshaft as early as you can afford to.

fowldarr

Explorer
What's the deal with the front drive shaft?

Oh, and I'm not in Idaho anymore so the ones in Boise are not that convenient, but there are several in Denver (which is closer to me)

So the concensus is 94 95 D1 or a 2004?

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Or a 2003, add CDL( you can pick up a used transfer case with cdl for cheap and install yourself- under $500 if you look a bot. Also change out your oil pump.

Those are the only two real issues. I fixed them both early on.

-Sam

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yeah, you pretty much have to plan on replacing the front driveshaft. Failure rate is going to be 100% as the vehicles age.

Viggen

Just here...
If you want simple/ rugged, look for 94/95s and then buy the best one that you can find. Pull the carpets EVERYWHERE to look for rust. I have a 95 and will not look at anything newer. 96- on went OBDII where the computer is tied into everything. Just take your time looking. They are everywhere and a lot of times, you can find them already built for $4k that just need some cleaning up. Buy it and then go through it looking at everything and replace anything that looks questionable. Then youll have a reliable truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94