Camp Chef griddle ??

FullsizeJimmy

I bought a Camp Chef Explorer 2 burner stove last weekend for use at family get-togethers and I'm looking for advice. In looking at griddle options, they offer a reversible cast iron griddle, and a deluxe steel model. My first thought was to get the cast iron, but the steel model is more expensive (better?), and weighs more (better heat dispersion?). I realize the cast iron will have better non stick properties, but is that really an issue with frying bacon followed by pancakes? I doubt that I'll use the reversible feature of the cast iron, because my experience with a round griddle I have is the stove burns the seasoning off on the side that is down.

One other issue is the burners put out a tremendous amount of heat, even to the point of being difficult to turn down low enough. Does anyone have experience with the flame tamers Camp Chef has available?

RHINO

Expedition Leader
as for the heat,, you know you bought a massive stove right? what were you expecting:sombrero:

no exp with flame tamers, i got the 25k btu burners,, there different style and seem to have much better control at low temps.

for the griddle,,, if your not going to use the "grill" side then get the steel, its bomb proof.

bayou is good quality, same as the name brands but some of the stuff is kinda neat and different, like the jambalaya pots.

Last edited:

FullsizeJimmy

Thanks for the responses. I had been using a 160K turkey fryer burner and a cast iron griddle, and could get the heat close to what I wanted, so I hoped the 30000 btu burners in this stove would throttle back a little better. I may experiment with some home made flame tamers.

I ordered the steel griddle from Amazon, it should be here tomorrow. I liked the idea that it was made to fit the stove, and that the grease drains into a can. It must be 1/4" thick to weigh that much if I can go by the shipping weight. Hopefully that will be thick enough to heat evenly.

sierrahsky

Adventurer
Thanks for the responses. I had been using a 160K turkey fryer burner and a cast iron griddle, and could get the heat close to what I wanted, so I hoped the 30000 btu burners in this stove would throttle back a little better. I may experiment with some home made flame tamers.

I ordered the steel griddle from Amazon, it should be here tomorrow. I liked the idea that it was made to fit the stove, and that the grease drains into a can. It must be 1/4" thick to weigh that much if I can go by the shipping weight. Hopefully that will be thick enough to heat evenly.

I just recently started using this expedition stove 2 burner set up. I got the griddle in the kit along with the bag. MAN that griddle is heavy. I mean the stove it self is a hefty beast, but that griddle ads so much weight we are thinking of leaving it behind on our trip and just using pans.

I have also had issues with the power of the flames. I was thinking they would be awesome for cooking things like pasta but when we made burgers they were done so fast it burned them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier