I feel like a newb: lift for 255/85 required XJ

Nathant78

Observer
I hate for even having to ask this, but what would be the minimum required to install 255's under the XJ
If i have to bang the fenders up a little to fit thats fine, but i do not want to do massive trimming.
saw a XJ saturday running 35s and as tempting and sexy as that looks its just too big for me.
if 255's are too much are 235/85 still a common size. i remember back during camel trophy that is what they would run and always thought it was nice looking size for the vehicle.

spencersausser

Not sure what the conversion into inches measures out to be, but take a measurement and, based on that, I would go with the following most common recommendations:

30 inch - 2 inch lift
31 inch - 3-4 inch lift
32 inch - 4 1/2-5 1/2 inch lift
33 inch - 6 inch lift

I have a 96 XJ and I was running 32 inch tires with about 4 1/2 inches of lift. Hope that helps.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
255/85 is about a 32 inch tire if you are running a 15 inch wheel, so 4.5 inches of lift should do it with only minor trimming. A 235/85 tire on a 15 inch wheel will be about an inch smaller diameter so you could just go with the Iceland flares and not even need a lift.

BlueGerbil

C´est le gerbil plus bleu
255/85 usually come in 16" sizes, that equals to about 33.5x10". It´s a very common size for LandRover vehicles and it looks pretty fugly on an Cherokee IMHO.

You´ll need somewhere between 4.5" and 6.5" inches of lift, depending on how much fender you´re willing to cut.

cocco78

Adventurer
I would do a 4.5" lift and trim to fit. I'm not a fan of big lifts, 6.5" for a 33" tire is way to much lift. Plus anything over 4.5" and you start running into alot of issues. Unless you plan to go with a set of long arms the ride is going to suck with the steep lower control arm angles, even at a 4.5" lift without drop down brackets... I did run a 4.5" lift and 33x12.5 tires and they fit pretty good with only minor trimming and using proper bumpstops, although mine is an 88...

gm4x4lover

Observer
On a cherokee anything over 3.5" of lift it is recomended to get a sye kit. I would figure out what it would take to run them with 3.5" of lift. I run 255's as my winter tire on my 94 cherokee. We run 35x12.50x15's in the summer but the lack of weight and the wide tire doesnt seem to do real well on the ice.

Mathematically they calculate out to be 33.07 inches tall. Will very from manufacture to manufacture and mine measure a hair over 33" tall. a normal 33 is 32.5 - 32.7

XJxplorer

Adventurer
On a cherokee anything over 3.5" of lift it is recomended to get a sye kit. I would figure out what it would take to run them with 3.5" of lift. I run 255's as my winter tire on my 94 cherokee. We run 35x12.50x15's in the summer but the lack of weight and the wide tire doesnt seem to do real well on the ice.

Mathematically they calculate out to be 33.07 inches tall. Will very from manufacture to manufacture and mine measure a hair over 33" tall. a normal 33 is 32.5 - 32.7

Even with 3.5" of lift, an SYE is STRONGLY recommended.

gasman

Adventurer
i ran a 4.5'' RE lift with 31's minor rubbing at the rear and no sye was needed, the kit worked great, i went everywhere the big boys could go almost,
for some reason, i decided that a 6.5'' long arms and 33's were required, , then i needed trimming and a sye and drive shaft and, and, and,, then i went to 35's,, it never ends,

the 4.5 and 31's is all you will need, ...... for now ha ha ha ha ha

oh ya mine was a 95 xj.

Nathant78

Observer
i ran a 4.5'' RE lift with 31's minor rubbing at the rear and no sye was needed, the kit worked great, i went everywhere the big boys could go almost,
for some reason, i decided that a 6.5'' long arms and 33's were required, , then i needed trimming and a sye and drive shaft and, and, and,, then i went to 35's,, it never ends,

the 4.5 and 31's is all you will need, ...... for now ha ha ha ha ha

oh ya mine was a 95 xj.

yep, had a ranger for 5 years, never spent a dime for suspension. had it 2 weeks and got 18 friends offering to help lift mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier