nice G WAGON

m635dude

Observer
I personally can't imagine how the 35's don't rub to much in the rear with no lift. Did he trim the body? or just trim the frame? I'm running 35's with a 3.5" lift and the frames been notched, but I still have hit the tire against the body in extreme positions. I have really soft springs in the rear though so maybe that's why?

IMGP5525.jpg

close to rubbing

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

stevegsmith

Observer
ummmm. pointed three forum seems to have the largest group of "users" if youre interested in a bit of lurking, but it is more like the 100-200 LC forums on mud. just as many people wanting to keep up with joneses by adding the latest factory dash and grill. the porsche owners tough vehicle.......
Zimm, I think you're thinking of the benzworld forum hombre. Most of the active members and contributors of P3 are regular overlanders/campers/trekkers. It is primarily a technical forum so chances are it won't interest most folks unless they have a G or are thinking about buying one. Lots of helpful folks more than willing to share. Range of topics covers the old and new. Everything from rebuilding an old vacuum pump on a 460 to replacing/modifying the nav system on a 463.
Namaste

chris505

Observer
I personally can't imagine how the 35's don't rub to much in the rear with no lift. Did he trim the body? or just trim the frame? I'm running 35's with a 3.5" lift and the frames been notched, but I still have hit the tire against the body in extreme positions. I have really soft springs in the rear though so maybe that's why?

Correcto,

Soft springs may allow full axle travel, leaving the bump stops to limit tire up-travel.

That is why most people with ORC springs and 35s don't have big rubbing probs(unless the G weighs over 7,500lbs). The ORC springs are much stiffer, they are made using a bit thicker "wire" and 2-3 more "wounds"(compared to my stock 2000 G500 rears), this means if by some amazing chance you DO fully compress the rear axle, the ORC spring will bottom out (wire touching wire) BEFORE the rear bump stops compress against the rear axle. To me this would be very bad... axle bending bad, but given the super stiff rate of those coils most people would never get there in normal driving.

To the credit of ORC, they recommend and stock extended bumpstops (factory part, used on heavy load versions?)

If you dont want your big tires to touch your undercarriage, these longer bumps are the ticket, wish I had the part number because the 35s on my G500 are touching the top of all 4 fenders at full compression.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Zimm, I think you're thinking of the benzworld forum hombre. Most of the active members and contributors of P3 are regular overlanders/campers/trekkers. It is primarily a technical forum so chances are it won't interest most folks unless they have a G or are thinking about buying one. Lots of helpful folks more than willing to share. Range of topics covers the old and new. Everything from rebuilding an old vacuum pump on a 460 to replacing/modifying the nav system on a 463.
Namaste

no, im thinking p3. if you think im insulting anyones experience with the truck, im not. what im saying is, the consensus there is to find a mechanic you trust, where on other forums its be the mechanic you trust. im not sure what overlanding has to do with it, as the ability to fix has only a slight correlation with the ability to use.

what im saying is if you went to model specific forums on Mud, the mechanical, first hand, get your mits dirty experience on p3 is equivalent to the 100 series section. there are a couple guys that really know their **** and you hope that when you post a Q, they have input. and there are allot with anecdotal knowledge obtained from manuals, internet searches, and what the mechanic did to fix their issue. is it useful? absolutely! are people ready to help with what they got? absolutely! is it the best out there? yes. its a tremendous resource. is it an insult? ... hmmm... dont know why it would be unless people want an image for some reason. im not gonna tell someone its something its not. the G just simply doesnt have the volume, of say, and 80series LC. hence... dispersion of knowledge is limited.

thairish

Observer
Correcto,

Soft springs may allow full axle travel, leaving the bump stops to limit tire up-travel.

To the credit of ORC, they recommend and stock extended bumpstops (factory part, used on heavy load versions?)

If you dont want your big tires to touch your undercarriage, these longer bumps are the ticket, wish I had the part number because the 35s on my G500 are touching the top of all 4 fenders at full compression.

here you go...

Attachments

• 461 rear suspension.gif
    461 rear suspension.gif
    54.2 KB · Views: 28

stevegsmith

Observer
no, im thinking p3. if you think im insulting anyones experience with the truck, im not. what im saying is, the consensus there is to find a mechanic you trust, where on other forums its be the mechanic you trust. im not sure what overlanding has to do with it, as the ability to fix has only a slight correlation with the ability to use.

what im saying is if you went to model specific forums on Mud, the mechanical, first hand, get your mits dirty experience on p3 is equivalent to the 100 series section. there are a couple guys that really know their **** and you hope that when you post a Q, they have input. and there are allot with anecdotal knowledge obtained from manuals, internet searches, and what the mechanic did to fix their issue. is it useful? absolutely! are people ready to help with what they got? absolutely! is it the best out there? yes. its a tremendous resource. is it an insult? ... hmmm... dont know why it would be unless people want an image for some reason. im not gonna tell someone its something its not. the G just simply doesnt have the volume, of say, and 80series LC. hence... dispersion of knowledge is limited.

Thanks for the explanation. I still don't quite get your meaning but I understand there's no ill intention. All good. It was/is this statement that threw me off.

"....but it is more like the 100-200 LC forums on mud. just as many people wanting to keep up with joneses by adding the latest factory dash and grill. the porsche owners tough vehicle."

I don't want to hijack the thread and misunderstanding the statement is really my problem. Just wanted to equalize/qualify the opinion if that's all it was. Don't forget though, punctuation and complete sentences are your friend.:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles