Deuce inspired flip-up camper

Kohburn

Adventurer
Actually in the beginning it was inspired by the UNICAT monsters. They are amazing, but way beyond my capabilities. I had picked up a 1970 army M35A2 deuce and a half truck to use for hauling lumber/gravel, etc and my grey matter started churning out ideas.

For a long time I was stuck on the idea of the Alaskan style 4 corner solid lift system, had all my plans for a heavy duty cable based lift as I don't trust hydraulic or pneumatic seals long term. Then stumbled across the Japanese onroad camper here : http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45220

The added symplicity of a hinged lift, along with no need for a dropped door on the side, and angling the roof towards the sun for better solar, was too much to pass up. So in the end my design became a cross between a UNICAT, the japanese camper, and a few other expedition designs.

a little bit of CAD work and here is the basic representation of the design. I have not finalized locations/sizes for all the tanks, filtration, betteries etc. but there is a lot of room under the trucks stock bed and I want to keep the weight down low so most of it will go there.

The size was determines by the stock frame and bed length. The original bed on the truck is 8'wide and 12' long with a 1' gate. The departure angle is 40* and I wanted to retain that so the maximum length of the body before being angled up is 13.5' with a 2.5' overhang at the angled portion. The overhang area provides plenty of space for light weight storage as well as a lift for two spare wheels.

The current layout gives me seperate shower and lavatory, however I may combine them in order to get a little more space for food storage. The upstairs will have a queen size bed on one end and the other end seperated by a sound curtain will have two childrens beds. The porch platforms are also the door shutters; they will share the hinge with the doors but pop off and attach as the platform.

Solar system includes 4- 200 watt canadian solar panels that I already have. I actually get about 220 watts from each on an average day. Combined with a 2'x12' solar hot water heater. The hot water tank is both electric and indirect water heated. The solar heater as well as the engine both act as heat sources for the 13gallon storage tank as well as for the primary hydronic radiant heating. Backup heating will be done with a marine solid fuel stove.

Insulation is a minimum of 3 inches of solid polyurethane foam (better insulation than most houses)

Laminated safety glass based full awning windows and skylights for proper ventilation.

This is also a long term plan - probably take me the next few years to complete, but as I work a bit at a time I may as well have a thread to put it all :) - it also gives me time to tweak the plans as I go based on everyone elses experience.

Attachments

• front-corner-action.jpg
    front-corner-action.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 211
  • pass-through.jpg
    pass-through.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 146
  • side-view.jpg
    side-view.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 149
  • upstairs.jpg
    upstairs.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 122
  • rear-corner.jpg
    rear-corner.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 154

Kohburn

Adventurer
may as well post some cutaway pictures of the interior. I have a feeling that I will be adding cabinets over the bench area and in the galley.

Attachments

• kitchen-cutaway.jpg
    kitchen-cutaway.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 99
  • bathroom-cutaway.jpg
    bathroom-cutaway.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 86
  • diningroom perspective.jpg
    diningroom perspective.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 97

Kohburn

Adventurer
Love it! I'm building an M109 right now, and often wish I had built a custom box instead...

I've followed your work a bit, did you ever get around to mounting rear shocks? I found some inspiration with greynomad's build up for the rear shock setup.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Interesting. For years I've had percolating in my brain the idea of a 2 1/2 ton or 5 ton with the frame extended, living quarters towards the front, and a rear "porch" to carry my Lightweight with either a liftgate or ramps to unload it for local trips/exploring.

Kohburn

Adventurer
decided to post a picture of the roof transparent to show the amount of space available in the loft area

it is one queen sized bed (kingsize in the UK - 60x80) and two single short beds (36x69)

Attachments

• transparent roof.jpg
    transparent roof.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

Kohburn

Adventurer
some new developments along the way:

I talked about constructing insulated full awning windows in another thread using laminated safety glass and boat building practices.

Well I believe that I have now settled on the type of hinge to use for that as well as the main hinge for the roof. Those locations all required a hinge that could seal out any water or a hinge with a seperate continuous seal.

then I remembered plastic hinges.

http://www.ceshepherd.com/hinge_continuous.html

They are essentially a plastic piano hinge but use the flexible properties of the plastic in order to no have any seams to leak. As long as the ends are protected from developing a tear then they are extremely strong with a load rating of 100 pounds per linear inch.

I plan to attach them with sikaflex 252 which has a strength of ~500psi (I should mention that when buying this type of hinge to look at the temperature ratings on it - abs and acrylic versions are only rated down to +40F, the polyolefin is rated to -40F meaning it will function correctly without risking fatigue cracking down to those temperatures)

Last edited:

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
What's the interior height of the ground floor? I'm assuming that it doesn't change at all with the roof raised/lowered.

Also, what's the height of the cabover section?

Kohburn

Adventurer
interior height is 7 feet, if I left it as a 2 person loft with only a 1/2 upper floor then raising the roof would give me a vaulted ceiling in the dining area.

If the truck itself wasn't so tall then I could give more headroom but as it sits now with this setup the height of the total package is 12'

The cabover section is ~3' tall, but isn't actually attached to the camper. It is supported over the cab and will be used for light weight storage accessable from the front when standing on the hood. I've thought about also using it to house the water filtration for pumping collected rainwater or water from other sources through to fill up the main potable tanks.

This would be the cutaway if I didn't plan on taking any kids along and it was just my wife and myself.

Attachments

• loft.jpg
    loft.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

Kohburn

Adventurer
I have a few designs for the deck but they all use "storm door" panels that protect the glass french doors during travel. my walls are 3" thick and the doors are 1.5" thick so that allows for double doors.

for regular use there will be a single door knob to open the doubled door on one side (the other side will have top and bottom latches to release before opening)

when stopping for a while I can detach the outer door layer and attach it as the front deck. I've got another design that uses both door panels infront of the door and another flip down panel next to them to make the deck twice as big.

Kohburn

Adventurer
it is still mostly in the planning phase. I have been doing some upgrades and maintenance work.

I have replaced the air wipers with 24v electric wiper motors and housed a sterio. I have the materials to start sound/heat insulating the cab for general comfort.

I also am having wheel adaptors similar to the ones pictured made so that I can use common 22.5" 10 bolt wheels rather than the less common 20" 6 bolt wheels. It will let me have a lot more tire and wheel options.

Attachments

• wipers.jpg
    wipers.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 6lug to 10lug adaptor.jpg
    6lug to 10lug adaptor.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 50

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz