School me on the Ram w/ Cummins

tombodad

Adventurer
So I've been thinking a while now what my next truck will be. I have two options in my mind right now, 05-09 Ram megacab 2500 w/ cummins, or an F150 w/ the new ecoboost.

This thread pertains ony to Rams with Cummins.

I know that they switched from 5.9 to 6.7 in 07.5, and that this is accompanied by much more emissions garbage, and the resulting decrease in mpg. However, I would most likely be buying an auto, (I love manuals, the wife feels uncomfortable. I want her to be able to drive if need be..)

I have heard negative things on the older autos with the 5.9. Is the 6 speed auto in the 6.7 better?

Is the emissions additions, and the accompanying negative effect on mpg, reversible? In other words, can I take some stuff off, get a tuner, and get the same (or close) mpg's as a 5.9?

So basically, is it worth getting a 6.7, with its worse mpg and potential for more problems with emissions equipment, to get a better auto trans?

Any other comments on these rigs?

D

DEEZLPWR

the only 2 weak things with the 24v ISB i have corrected were the poor engine vent that dumps oil out at extreme downslopes (easily corrected with a pvc pipe to the rear of engine). The lift pump getting weak and taking the injection pump out, i replaced my entire fuel system due to this. As far as the tranny, with a couple mods and a better cooler it is good. but dont quote me on it as i have no experience with the auto on a cummins.

The later models with all the emissions stuff does reduce fuel mileage mainly from regeneration, in some states you will fail if you remove any of it period. (stuck with it till the end).

I have a 01 2500 with 6sp manny and i love it. $.02

So basically, is it worth getting a 6.7, with its worse mpg and potential for more problems with emissions equipment, to get a better auto trans?
my opinion, get a 5.9 without all the emission crap and put $ into the tranny make it bulletproof. I have read write ups on how to do so and they get wheeled to death with no issues. And you can dump the emission crap.

My oldest daughter has a long bed 4 door '02 6 speed. It's incredibly easy to drive, pulls like a train and is surprisingly comfortable.

Just fyi...

theduece

07 5.9 6-spd. get the manual cant beat the fuel mileage not to mention the torque.

My buddy has the auto and off the line unless I bring my A game he can get me, but goin up or down a pass with a load.... he is toast. either up with out accelerating him or down with just kicking on the exhaust brake and it holding it in the gear I choose. while he is on and off his brakes.

The manual really is super easy to drive, and first is a granny not needed unless loaded heavy with trailer in tow starting from a dead stop. go test drive one explain to her the ins and outs of it and let her do the driving. the salesman will sit there.

5X,XXX miles probably 30,000 of which towing a light load(only 10,000lbs) and she is barely broken in.

O and dont know if it is any use to you but the 6-spd will come with 4.10 gears versus the auto is standard with 3.55 IIRC and either of them will fit 35's or 315's stock in 4 wheel drive trim of course. And yes a BFG 315 will fit in the stock location.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Oh boy! Been here, done this..........

I was sick and tired about using my Ford and Chevy gas trucks to haul a 30' enclosed trailer. Terrible mileage but even worse was the towing performance. Constantly shifting, 6K RPM at 30 mph towing up mountain roads........Hated it!

I started researching Diesel pickup...........My findings are as follows.

The best Diesel truck available is a 2006, Dodge with the automatic.

Reasons:
Last year available without all the emission filters etc
Mercedes owned Dodge during this time and the automatic transmission was breathed on by Gertag. So far (120K) so good.........
All the other little annoying issues these trucks had were resolved by 2006

If you go to the Dodge Diesel forums you will see very little issues with the 2006 year trucks........

I installed a "Juice With Attitude" module on my truck. Absolutely amazing performance. Never downshifts while towing the biggest of trailers and returns 18-19 mpg. Without a trailer I get 20-21 mpg at a steady 65mph.

I'm hoping this is the last truck I'll ever buy...........

DSC_12-vi.jpg

4-vi.jpg

bobcat charlie

Adventurer
Better than the '05 or later Dodge Ram are the '03-'04 1/2 305HP Cummins. No smog equipment, no cat, one less injection event (better milage). I have 160K trouble free miles on mine, easy to get 20 MPG on a trip and all the power I need.

Find a low milage '03-'04 1/2 and you'll save money and won't be disappointed!

Of course, I am slightly biased...

chasespeed

Explorer
Charlie, its okay to be biased... a guy who owns a Cummins, AND a Buell has good taste indeed....and a tuber to boot!

I vote for the 12v.... doesnt get any simpler, or more reliable....:victory:

But, seriously, these trucks are wonderful. You wont be disappointed...

Chase

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
2007 5.9,g-56.

I ordered the last of the Dodge 5.9's. It's an '07 early model w/G-56 tranny with the 0.79 final drive which simulates 4.10 gears. 285-75-17 tires brings the rpm's down to a realistic level,but still preserves the dual mass flywheel. Carli,Thuren,Defiant and Lorenz suspension upgrades enable me to haul my Northstar onroad with ease and offroad as well as 2000# on your back can hope for. I had a '98.5 for seven years and this newer platform is way stiffer than before. In addition, a quantum leap in braking,cab roominess and handling make me a biased fan of the 3rd gens.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have personally owned both a 94 12v with built auto and an 05 with auto. Both 4x4. I love the power and simplicity of a mildly built 12valve. But, the noise and smell mean the next one I buy will be an 05 or 06. I don't want to slam the 03-04s, but the one I drove for a week felt like it was dragging a boat anchor in comparison to either of my trucks. I rented an 08 with 6.7 auto and it also felt sluggish... The exhaust brake was a nice touch though.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
i do have to purchase the rear disk upgrade for my ram. i hate drums....
Don't bother. I installed the egr rear disc conversion. Results were marginally improved braking,but with increased pedal travel and a SOFT parking brake. I'd look into EGR's stock brake enhancement systems. The 1-ton Chevy wheel cylinders have helped some guys,but it wouldn't dent mine. Rear 3500 shoes will fit the 2500's I'm told. Drums would have to be turned.

chasespeed

Explorer
My 01 came with rear discs........... I would find a wrecked truck, and snag all that you can off it.... hydra boost, etc...

Chase

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Orange Muffler.

I have personally owned both a 94 12v with built auto and an 05 with auto. Both 4x4. I love the power and simplicity of a mildly built 12valve. But, the noise and smell mean the next one I buy will be an 05 or 06. I don't want to slam the 03-04s, but the one I drove for a week felt like it was dragging a boat anchor in comparison to either of my trucks. I rented an 08 with 6.7 auto and it also felt sluggish... The exhaust brake was a nice touch though.
My '07 does have the free flowing cat and that really cleans up the diesel smell. Orange Muffler in Orange, Ca installed a Shuttleworth diesel muffler in mine which deletes the very restrictive stocker while preserving your sanity in the cab. Throaty with zero drone. Paul Fox,the owner is very knowledgable about sound suppression without restriction.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
My '07 does have the free flowing cat and that really cleans up the diesel smell. Orange Muffler in Orange, Ca installed a Shuttleworth diesel muffler in mine which deletes the very restrictive stocker while preserving your sanity in the cab. Throaty with zero drone. Paul Fox,the owner is very knowledgable about sound suppression without restriction.

I would love your set up! Perfect for me. The 94 was straight piped when I bought it. Not terribly loud though, unlike some of the newer trucks I see and hear the meatheads driving these days... I guess muffler/cat would help with smells. Can't do much about the engine noise though. I love it, but it is a pain when trying to hear wife when hooking up the trailer or backing in a tight spot.

No matter which Cummins version, you get a great engine. Each version has their benefits and maybe one or two things that could be a little better. At least we Dodge guys don't need to shop for urea when on an extended adventure...

tombodad

Adventurer
Thanks for all the advice guys!

Sounds like the way to go would be the 06-07 with the 6 speed, although the auto sounds like it's not as bad as the older ones, and i could probably buy that, with the more desirable engine (imo) and beef up the trans for the same money as buying a newer one with the better trans, but i would still end up with a better overall truck.

This is probably a couple years out, but it's always good for me to have a pipe dream so I can watch prices, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz