'10 Tundra CrewMax

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Any noticeable difference is side to side height with 46 gallons on one side ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zidaro

Explorer
How many gallons?

Since you are still here I'd like to ask you about the Slam Specialties bags you used at one point. They are the only ones I've found that have decent travel, and you are the only one I know who has used them offroad! How did they work out?

Slam Bags #SS-8 , i think. They have been awesome.
Total travel is at 13", thats pretty huge compared to the Firestone bags, and they carry a massive amount of weight. Which means you don't have to max them out to carry the camper- big deal to me so the bags can handle bouncing/slamming around down the trail instead of worrying that they will pop if stressed.
They are also THICK and seem very durable. I have a huge abrasion on one bag from rubbing on a bolt head for hundreds of offered miles (didn't notice it at the time). Caught the issue and fixed it, held off on replacing the bag for whatever reason and assumed it would fail. That was thousands of miles ago and couple years- still showing no changes in integrity.
Travel- I did install the daystar cradle and now the lower bag mount is detached. This is a MUCH better system for allowing travel. DO IT! I have zero issue with the cradles.
I can't imagine any real issue with the bags. They are probably overkill, an 8"dia. bag is really meant for some huge dually carrying megaloads or some dude trying to launch his impala 6' into the air. But they have held up great for 5years now.

hope that helps some. Ask away if ya got more questions

zidaro

Explorer
Does anyone have the Transfer Flow that wheels it pretty hard? I would love to add the 20 gallons but I've scraped the bottom of the frame a couple of times and makes me really nervous.

Zidaro, it looks like you do some good off roading, thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So the real answer! I have no idea!! Drove it home, after we installed it, on the highway. And have only driven it down a couple forest service dirt roads so far.
But, my thoughts on off-roading. BTW- i have a crawler and another 08runner that i love to drive fast around the desert.

My Tundra is not a desert racer. This means i drive plenty fast and bomb down fire roads, desert washes, forest service roads, and tons of desert 2 track and washboard roads. Always in pseudo-control and if something huge comes up i slow down and navigate thru it. I drive nasty sections with big rocks, or steep rocky sections, at a very slow pace in control where i can choose my path and choose where the truck may make contact.

The Tundra is a long rig and its easy to drag over the top of a berm or wash as you cross over it. Or scrap along a large rock with the sliders or framerail on a corner boulder. OR maybe i even drag the rear axle over a large boulder that i couldn't get around.
The idea of slamming down very hard on the tank under all these situations is HIGHLY unlikely. Ie- puncture or massive crumple.

Likely in a bad situation i may have to drag over a rock or across some small short obstacle with the tank. Its 12G on the bottom so somewhat durable to allow it to hold up sliding gently and calculated over said issue, and if its sand or grapefruit rock the coating should even hold up fine. If i was that guy that hucks his nice truck in the dunes- no issues. If i ws gonna huck at Ocotillo desert with rocks- this tank might be a bad idea.

So, my thoughts are the extra gas is massive. The likelihood of destroying the tank because it sits just under the framerail is very slim. Something to be cautious of on super nasty, gotta choose the right line. But its not a big anchor ready to catch on any little thing, its gonna be obvious.

Did i blab enough? :)

jCubed

Adventurer
So the real answer! I have no idea!! Drove it home, after we installed it, on the highway. And have only driven it down a couple forest service dirt roads so far.
But, my thoughts on off-roading. BTW- i have a crawler and another 08runner that i love to drive fast around the desert.

My Tundra is not a desert racer. This means i drive plenty fast and bomb down fire roads, desert washes, forest service roads, and tons of desert 2 track and washboard roads. Always in pseudo-control and if something huge comes up i slow down and navigate thru it. I drive nasty sections with big rocks, or steep rocky sections, at a very slow pace in control where i can choose my path and choose where the truck may make contact.

The Tundra is a long rig and its easy to drag over the top of a berm or wash as you cross over it. Or scrap along a large rock with the sliders or framerail on a corner boulder. OR maybe i even drag the rear axle over a large boulder that i couldn't get around.
The idea of slamming down very hard on the tank under all these situations is HIGHLY unlikely. Ie- puncture or massive crumple.

Likely in a bad situation i may have to drag over a rock or across some small short obstacle with the tank. Its 12G on the bottom so somewhat durable to allow it to hold up sliding gently and calculated over said issue, and if its sand or grapefruit rock the coating should even hold up fine. If i was that guy that hucks his nice truck in the dunes- no issues. If i ws gonna huck at Ocotillo desert with rocks- this tank might be a bad idea.

So, my thoughts are the extra gas is massive. The likelihood of destroying the tank because it sits just under the framerail is very slim. Something to be cautious of on super nasty, gotta choose the right line. But its not a big anchor ready to catch on any little thing, its gonna be obvious.

Did i blab enough? :)

Love it! Great analysis and hope to but this on my short wish list. I hate pulling my travel trailer and always worrying about filling up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rruff

Explorer
Slam Bags #SS-8 , i think. They have been awesome.
Total travel is at 13", thats pretty huge compared to the Firestone bags, and they carry a massive amount of weight.

Thank you very much! They seem like a great bag for offroading, yet you are the only person I know who uses them. I have a Tundra also, and will be building a full time camper on it. I could just beef up the springs but I like the adjustability of the bags for leveling when parked, and being able to raise it for more clearance if I'm going through a tricky section.

With 13" of travel are the Daystar cradles really needed?

zidaro

Explorer
With 13" of travel are the Daystar cradles really needed?

Likely not when your loaded with a camper. Its more about freeing up the cycle when your out having too much fun

IMG_3066_zps321a0006.jpg

DannerGuy

Transfer Flow is running a $200 off special on all their tanks right now. sale ends today though in case anyone was interested.

JS

zidaro

Explorer
Still happy with the ATZ P3s in the snow?

Absolutely! they've held up very well on all our desert trips and i think they exceed the Duratracs i had in the snow. (roads covered with snow and ice are what we typically have, but lately my driveway has given us fun times with up to 3' pow runs :) )

Rhymer

Lurker
Zidaro- truly epic build, sir!! :coffeedrink:

I was wondering how your sound mods ended up? Did you finish the rest of the sound isolation and continue on to upgrade the speakers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier