New to me 06 stroke

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
So I was pretty dead set against a full size about 5 months ago. I wanted something bigger than my 4runner but with the same capabilities. Well since then life has taken a few unexpected turns. Such as I am now building wind mills on the road in various locations such as Southern Idaho. After a cpl of months on the road my wife and I came to the same conclusion and that is we did not get married to be 11+ hours away from each other. So the idea is to have a truck and travel trailer for us to live out of for the next 2-3 years or better.
The Truck - 2006 ford powerstroke in hunter green and tan
Since I have been toyota man for so long I am at a stand still as to what my next move is with the truck but we are looking at travel trailers as well so cost is going to be a factor.

chasespeed

Explorer
If you are living and working outta the truck, I recommend a bumper pull, that will leave the bed for tools. Get a nice cap while you are at it... something that sweeps up in the back, to smooth the transition between the truck, and the taller camper.. it'll help with mileage.

Have the trans of that truck gone through, and dont use a tuner... until you stud the heads...

Enjoy....

Chase

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I am a longtime Toyota man as well, but when it comes to fullsize diesels I only go Dodge Cummins... I will say that as far as trailers go, do yourself a favour and check out Airstreams. They are a little more cash if you go new, so a lightly used one is better. The quality and resale is well worth the extra cost. We live in ours fulltime...

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
If you are living and working outta the truck, I recommend a bumper pull, that will leave the bed for tools. Get a nice cap while you are at it... something that sweeps up in the back, to smooth the transition between the truck, and the taller camper.. it'll help with mileage.

Have the trans of that truck gone through, and dont use a tuner... until you stud the heads...

Enjoy....

Chase
luckily in the business I am in the companies I work for provide all the tools except for maybe a tape measure and a few assorted hand tools to make life easier. Also with my CDL it gives me the option to tow a trailer off the rear of a 5th wheel so I can haul 2 trailers (5th wheel and car hauler) at once. As for travel trailer brand, other than being in good sound shape, all I require is that it is pre setup for cold weather. While the cost of a 5th wheel might be a tad more expensive than a hitch haul, the assets to the 5th wheel far out number the hitch haul in both ability and long term savings.

I also looked at the cummins and my wife and I were in love with this 07 megacab. Unfortunately the cost was just outside our comfort level for a monthly payment and after dickering with the sales folks on the powerstroke, it was hard to turn down the deal we got on it. Yeah the megacab still has my eye but it will be a cpl of years before I dive into it.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
here she is all sexy and clean. The wheels were not my idea but will work until the tires get worn out and then replaced.

Attachments

• _DSC0001.jpg
    _DSC0001.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 65

DT75FLH

Adventurer
Nice. the 06 fords have a decent reputation as long as they were not chipped etc.

put an exhaust on it if it doesn't have one ..leave it stock and it should last quite awhile.

the trannys are decent also. I was impressed with the 5speed torqshift.

strider3700

Adventurer
Around here at least used 5th wheels are far cheaper then tow behinds. A lot of people seem to complain about always having that hitch taking up the bed.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
wow bronconut that is a slick trailer company. A lot more than I am willing to pay right now.

Strider. option for option the 5th wheel will always go for more because of the pulling ability of the 5th wheel. I had thought of a tow behind because they were so cheap but after careful consideration decided that a 5th wheel will serve my purpose a lot better due to the secondary trailer pulling ability that a CDL gives me.

Also look at tow behind regulations on size. Most people who tow a 30+ ft trailer with out a class A CDL are doing so illegally due to the combined vehicle length of 40+ ft.

longjohn

Observer
Also with my CDL it gives me the option to tow a trailer off the rear of a 5th wheel so I can haul 2 trailers (5th wheel and car hauler) at once.
I read this to say that you plan to Pull a car trailer or a stacker( car) trailer behind a 5th wheel CAMPER trailer behind your new Ford. ( First let me say that i am not trying to sound like a wise guy or know it all....not my intention at all) I may be all wrong but to my knowledge, unless special built 5th wheel it is not intended to pull a car trailer with even with a Smart car on it. My response is in the interest of safety . You might want to check with the pros before doing this . As an otr driver and o/o for over 35 years every time i would see such a rig , i would get around it as fast as possible or slow down, seeing the results of the camper tore in half ( dont know the why it broke, seemed self explanatory to me) was enough. Again NO DISRESPECT INTENDED just had your safety in mind........
Oh by the way nice lookin truck

DuvaFX4

Hey john101477
Nice Truck! Just like DT75FLH said i wouldn't chip the truck, the 6.0 are know to have there problems time to time, but they are reliable. I have a buddy with 200,000 on his and has only has changed a few injectors on his and it is completely stock. I read this article a little bit ago and it really broke down the 6.0 engine

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarti...ower_stroke_bulletproofing_tactics/index.html

I know you didn't ask for this information but i though you would like to know,Take care and have fun traveling around in your Great Looking Ford!!!

alexrex20

Explorer
here's a +1 for not putting a car hauler (or even a flat tow) behind a FWC. good luck with stopping the sway once it starts...

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
not exactly the same but I have a 1999 F250 with the 7.3 powersdtroke and it is still going strong with 26X,XXX miles on her... these Navistar motors are good motors if you maintain them and dont go crazy with mods. mine is all stock right now, but will be getting a new exhaust and DIY Intake soon

TRDFAN

Adventurer
6.0 club

GLad to hear Im not the only one who made the switch. I had no plans of selling my Tacoma, but a deal I couldn't pass up led me to join the 6.0 club. My truck came with several mods, several of which I have removed in favor of some different stuff. Mainly the 22" Chrome Wheels, chrome mirrors, and tonneau cover. Here are some pictures. I have a small transformation in the last 2 weeks.
DSCN0460.jpg

to this
IMG00053-20110102-1718.jpg

Now on 37x12.5 on 18" king ranch wheels. These are great trucks with great power if you have done the right mods. I bought mine with the EGR delete already on 4" exhaust and banks 6-gun with speed loader. This truck is crazy fast and has a ton of power. Enjoy your new ride!!

Saline

Adventurer
Congrats! Nice looking truck. Another good idea for the 6.0L is a coolant filter. It's cheap insurance and, it helps reduce the chance of a clogged oil cooler on the coolant side. I have cut open my coolant filters after removal and was amazed at the amount of sand like, gritty material trapped in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94