Custom maps

longcreative

I'm a news artist in Arizona and I'm trying to guage the interest in custom expedition maps that you could frame after the trip is done and you are back home.

I'm able to take your GPS coordinates or notes from your trip and turn it into a National Geographic quality terrain and route map. These could be poster sized. You could also add specific info about the trip into the map to make it a very custom item.

Anyone interested in something like this?

I would be willing to discount the first couple so I could figure out the process.

longcreative

gjackson said:
That's an awesome idea! I've done some work mapping, but it has all been digital, rather than printed. So what would something like that cost? I'd like to get this route posterized:

http://www.africaoverland.org/africa.htm

cheers

Well...I'm not sure yet. I'm currently pricing the fixed costs...such as digital poster printing and shipping. There is a local shop that can really nice large digital posters. I think some of the cost would depend on the amount of detail and information someone would want to include. The more detailed the map...the more time it would take.

Right now, I think I would be willing to do one for the cost of production and a small labor charge. This would give me an expample of what I can do...and an idea of the amount of time involved in producing such a map. You could email me and we could discuss the details. Andrew@longcreative.com.

I have to say that route would make a beautiful map.

Is that a Google earth KML file?

gjackson

FRGS
Yes, it is a KML file producted from a de-rezed full trip track log. There were some problems with my de-rez algorithm, and I'll have to re-do it to get a more accurate track, but it works for a general idea. I've sent an email.

cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles