Short bed utility body????

Rbertalotto

Explorer
I think a utility body is the best idea for storage on an expedition vehicle. But my Dodge diesel four door pickup has a short bed. I'm not finding many choices on a shortbed utility body in aluminum.

Has anyone built their own utility body using aluminum truck tool boxes such as this.

3480054_lg.jpg

There are many sizes available and stacking them on the sides of a flatbed like building blocks could give you any possibility.

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Thanks, but....

Quote...."Reading Aluminum bodies are not recommended for offroad use"

I really want the weight savings of Aluminum.....And these Reading bodies cost upwards of $5K........Yikes!

chasespeed

Explorer
First and foremost....

Dont get too energetic looking for a service body/utility body.

Our whole fleet of service trucks, has them. They arent worth it... first... THEY LEAK. Period. You might be able to get it adjusted, and keep it dry.... get going down a dirt road.... and everything will be back outta whack...

My current truck, has the Reading Space Saver, it leaks like a damn sieve. We have Stahl, and Knaphiede. While, all are good products... a steel or aluminum service body, itsnt where I would be putting my money... I HAD thought about it... and almost snagged one for my Cummins.... glad I didnt.

NOW, if you have your heart set on a body, do yourself a favor, and look into the fiberglass bodies. They are much more weather proof, and dont rot away like the steel ones...

Look as well under service body. The fiberglass bodies are lighter, and sturdier. Astoria comes to mind, definately one of nicer bodies I have seen.

Now, I havent seen these, but, the BrandFX looks like it might have what you are looking for. They have glass bodies in, 40, 43, and 56" cab to axle sizes....

http://www.brandfxbody.com/products/service-bodies/

My 2 cents....

Take it for what its worth...

Chase

lstzephyr

wanderer
I've thought about doing that before. I think to do it right you would really want to get a steel bed/steel boxes or aluminum/aluminum boxes and weld them in place.

I've also thought it might be good to take my long bed truck and fit it with a short bed length flatbed and stack boxes. Unrelated but I think that would make for a useful truck.

wjeeper

First and foremost....

Dont get too energetic looking for a service body/utility body.

Our whole fleet of service trucks, has them. They arent worth it... first... THEY LEAK. Period.
Chase
X2 we had ONE service body truck when we owned a landscaping company.....tools were constantly getting wet and conceequently rusting. We did try weather stripping them but water still would get in and when it got hot the humidity inside the box would cause the tools to rust even faster!

Get in one fender bender with a utility bed and you will die when you see what they cost to repair! (in all fairness I cant remember the body manufacturer, we might have just had a cheap body on there)

wild1

Adventurer
utility bed

I have run several utility beds including five years on the latest one.I think that it may be a function of the type of weather you get but I have no problems with leakage or rust. Mine is loaded and ready to go 24/7. I do think that they have some issues,cost new,weight and limited storage in the single rear wheel models.This is magnified when using a swb truck to the point that I don't think that they justify the downsides for the small amount of storage. I think that an aluminum flatbed with full side boxes and rear under boxes would be a great setup and would still work with most campers.

Attachments

• MomDad60th8272009 078.JPG
    MomDad60th8272009 078.JPG
    678.9 KB · Views: 119

chasespeed

Explorer
Wild1... I was gonna say that looks like a Reading... but, the T handles are throwing me off.... Those would probably go a long way to solving MY personal grievances with utility bodies.... My current body is 5 years old. I can point to all the problem areas......

Chase

wild1

Adventurer
utility bed

It's a Knapheide. Your probably right the t handles do really rachet down the doors against the seals.

chasespeed

Explorer
Yep... and a much more POSITIVE closing of the door as well.... I had one of my doors unlatch, and made a yard sale of good amount of my tools.... THAT really had me fuming... had a brand new set of LONG Klein magnetic nut drivers... of course the 1/4, and 5/16 were never found....

ANYWAY.... Like I said, I have seen the fiberglass bodies, and they seem to hold up MUCH better, and most are designed with OFF ROAD use and abuse in mind(rescue bodies, forestry, etc).....

Chase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94