Which bike would make a good "lifeboat" for a Unimog?

Jolly Roger

Adventurer
Hi all

My wife and and I have recently sold our bikes (BMW R1200 GSA and BMW F800GS) in order to purchase a Unimog for a RTW trip. We're considering purchasing a smaller bike that we can mount on the back of the Unimog. The bike would be used for . . .

- scouting out off-road routes ahead of the Unimog
- running errands (if we don't want to drive the Unimog around town)
- providing us with a "lifeboat" in case the Mog gets stuck or disabled out in the sticks

We'd like a bike that is road legal (i.e. with all the lights, indicators, etc.) but is also relatively capable off-road. It should be able to carry both my wife and I at the same time but we'd like to keep the size and weight as low as possible.

I don't know much about smaller bikes so any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated. We'd also appreciate any advice on methods of mounting the bike to the Unimog.

Many thanks

burnoil

Adventurer
Is price an issue? Just wondering...

A few bikes come to mind that are quite capable for dual use, but smaller than your former units. 2 people should be ok on these as long as the terrain isn't terribly rough:

KLR650
DRZ650 (400 for something even smaller)
XR650L
BMW 650GS
KTM 640/690 series

I'm sure there are more choices floating around. Not sure about mounting to your Mog, though I am sure there is an option somewhere.

Last edited:

rusty_tlc

Explorer
I've been researching this myself and the KLR650 is pretty much top of the list based on reading the two wheel expo type forums. If money is no object look at the KTM's , however the Kawasaki will most likely have better parts support world wide.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I would have suggested the WR250R, but I just don't think it'd be good for around town if you were 2-up. I'd go for the KLR, but I'm a bit prejudiced. They are great 2-up and capable off road and around town. Weight is heavier, but i don't think the extra 50-75 lbs over a 250cc bike would worry you too much.

-

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites

trailsurfer

Explorer
KTM 530 EXC with a 4 gallon tank. Street legal, light weight. Extremely capable off road and will get you back to help if need be. I bought one to put on the back of the EarthRoamer.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'll add a vote for the Honda XR650L. I had one of those bikes for three years. I rode the heck out of that bike. It's pretty basic, very reliable, and there's a multitude of parts available all over for them.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Another vote for the TW200. Fat tired and unstoppable. Easy to ride for the ladies and fun for the boys. Simple carbureted engine. Kick starter can be easily added to the late model TWs. The Clarke tank makes its range 200+ miles.

rynosurf

Adventurer
I'll vote for the TW too. Simple air cooled design, you can flat foot it even if you are 5'6" and it wont be a handful in tight trails.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
How about a couple of these!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5ADbwfktYs&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - DTV - one year progress H264.mov[/ame]

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
TW200 was the first thing that popped in my head. They make cool FRONT and rear racks too. For such a small package, you could carry the two of you and a good load of crap out of the boonies in a pinch. Low to the ground but very capable and easy to pick up. Perfect IMHO.

TW200_Bikejpg.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke