GMC Ambulance

Jason124

Hello everybody. I am new here to the site, but I have been following for some time. I recently purchased a 1990 Gmc C70 Ambulance that will be converted to a camper. 4wd is out of the question for now due to lack of funds but some day It will get there. It has an 8.2 Detroit diesel, 109 thousand miles with an Allison automatic 4 speed. From what I've seen, Not to many people are converting these things to campers. The idea is to travel the USA for now until the 4wd conversion can be done. Any ideas what type of transfer case and front axle i should use?

picture.php

picture.php

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
What ever you can afford.:sombrero: Your front axle choice will be dictated in large part by lug pattern and brake type unless you want to do the rear axle too. You have air brakes or hydraulic brakes and you will want something that has the same lug pattern and type as you have now. The transfercase will be a divorce mount, you could have mechanical shift linkage or air shift. You will need to get driveline work done too when you get the T-case put in. You can do the 4x4 conversion in segments though, axle and t-case don't need to be done at the same time. Start looking at medium duty truck yards and ads. Sometimes you can get the stuff pretty cheap if you shop around. I picked up a front axle and t-case from that was off a Forest Service rig for $1600. Measure your front axle spring width too, if you get parts try to get as much stuff as you can with them. Axle and driveline flanges get expensive if you buy them new.

If you ever make it up to N Ca stop by, I have a shop and like working on stuff like this. My camper project is a 72 International Loadstar 1700 4x4 Shortbus with a raised roof. It is ex-Air Force. Thats what I got the front axle for, current axle is geared at 7.17 to 1 and its hard to get parts for.

wantapinz2

Observer
For a vehicle that size I would go with a dana 60 up front and maybe a np205
transfercase. My 1967 jeep ambulance came with a 60 up front and a 70 in the rear. It weighs over 6000 lb unloaded.

Jason124

I will have to look at some local truck yards for parts. That didn't even come to me as an idea. The truck has a 10 lug rear axle with air brakes and air suspension. The front is also 10 lug with Leaf springs. The weight of it as it sits with no camping gear loaded is 12,440 pounds. Thats what was throwing me off on which axles to use. I only have 1 photo of the interior for now but i'll go take a bunch more and post them up! I should be heading to north California in january some time. That would be cool checking out other peoples home made overland rigs. Thanks every one for your help.

picture.php

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
You are beyond Dana 60 and NP205 stuff with this rig. Welcome to the world of medium duty trucks. Are your rims the older bud style lugnuts(1.5" nuts with a taper on them) or piloted(smaller lugnuts that have a washer so your nuts don't mar the rim)?

D

Deleted member 9101

If it was me, I would leave it rear wheel drive.. but that's my personal preference. Less to break, and nothing is "jury rigged".

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
They look like this.

picture.php

on 19.5 inch rims.

theres a truck over at http://www.boyceequipment.com/ thats 4x4'ed out. This is what my end goal would be.

Those rims are piloted so you would want to get a front axle with the same. You could keep it 2 wheel drive, put a lift kit on it so you can put bigger tires under it. Put traction tires on the back and see if you can get a locker for the rearend and add a front and rear winch. It doesn't take much to get something like this stuck offroad.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Those rims are piloted so you would want to get a front axle with the same. You could keep it 2 wheel drive, put a lift kit on it so you can put bigger tires under it. Put traction tires on the back and see if you can get a locker for the rearend and add a front and rear winch. It doesn't take much to get something like this stuck offroad.
A hydro winch would be another good addition.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist

I know it sounds odd, but if you can get that yellow hook off, AND don't need it, my EMT program could use it. We're trying to re-hab an old rig for demos with students and ours was donated with out that hook. Parts rig got cut up by the Truck Academy and hauled off before I could get it out. Thanks.

Jason124

MC Taco, That won't be a problem at all. I was going to remove it and the Gurney bars next to the pile of wood if you needed that. What kind of ambulance do you have? What ever else you may need, just let me know. I might have it in there. The 4x4 is just an idea/dream, I do feel like i will stick to the 2wd and get a really good winch. When the 4x4 is necessary I'll get a rig that was designed for it. Maybe eventually put a lift and some bigger tires. Any here ever explore off road in there 2wd rigs?

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Congrats, an old ambo would be a fine travel platform. I remember seeing an ambo posted up here a year or two ago that had been modded quite nicely and driven around the USA.

Keep it rear wheel drive and good luck with the build.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Nice start atleast the body is waterproof and a good strong engine. Ditch the red lights and see if you can get more of the work lights.

Caduceus

Adventurer
I've spent many an hour napping in those...

Great idea (I would have used a van, but hey, I'm only 5'7")! Um... just out of curiousity, do you see the 5-6tons of weight being an issue? Does it have the 1 fuel tank or 2? I know driving our rigs, we might get 300 miles out of 1 tank.

Have fun with it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94