Democratic Republic of Congo: Lubumbashi to Kinshasa

Gebbel

Zot zoin doet da zjeer?

Beste Josephine en Frederik,

Jullie hebben echt de guts gehad om toe te geven dat het leven zo intens mogelijk moet geleefd worden, en we moeten stoppen met toch maar zo lang mogelijk proberen te leven door ons allerhande dingen te onthouden, risico's te ontwijken en excuses aan te praten.

Hier is een koppel dat op het einde van hun leven zal kunnen zeggen dat het goed was. Fantastisch, jullie hebben me doen dromen. En ik ga sparen opdat ik op een dag hetzelfde kan doen. Hopelijk ligt er dan macadam in Congo!

Geniet van jullie verdere reizen, en laat het internet voor wat het is. Het is de grootste vorm van tijdverlies dat ooit uitgevonden is! Buiten dit verslag dan:)

Nen Oilsjteneer

RockTaco02

The statements I made in post #836 still ring true almost 9 months after reading this and I hope that never subsides...

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Reading this Odyssey a few nights ago changed my perception of a great many things. It was a pleasure to come along on the journey. You guys have the strength and will of which I have never seen. The excitement, the irrational, the terror, serenity, disappointment, triumph, all contribute to a sense of humanity that most of us have never experienced in a lifetime let alone in the course of just a few years span. This narration changed me in the way that I no longer find myself asking why, or how but look forward to the possibility of putting foot to terra and embracing something that i cannot fully understand until it has gone full circle. There is no doubt in my mind that you guys left a lasting impression on everyone you encountered. Even as the days go by the excitement still hasn't subsided, and I struggle to find the words to describe the way I feel, stories like this give hope to young people such as myself who are constantly reminded everyday how grim and unforgiving the world is. Thank you for sharing...

I think this how most of us feel reading this thread.

LJ61

Very few heavy vehicles in third world settings have front drive axles (too easily broken) and single rear wheels (tires too heavy and very difficult to find).

Haven - Sorry but you are mistaken there. Almost all of the trucks shown, including the IVECO, are 6x6s. You'll notice that the truck that was really stuck and held them all up was a single drive, badly overloaded to the rear so that the front drive was ineffective.

Containerized

Adventurer
Christian - The Angolan entry visa is unobtainium, though I know two people headed to Angola in the near future, one of whom is South African (and spent time as a military consultant and mercenary in Angola long ago) and one of whom is an election observer from Geneve. A note to other travelers: I spent time in Haiti and in Tunisia as an election observer. This is an excellent and amazing way to volunteer internationally. My background as an international economist and lawyer let me get a spot more easily than some others might (being affiliated with a university or with the legal profession tends to help), but the reality is that there is a shortage of people willing to be election observers in many of these parts of the world and it is worth looking into this as an "activity" as part of a broader expedition. I'm not saying you should become an Angolan election observer just to get entry papers (this seems a bit overboard), but that it's a great opportunity to understand the local people, culture, and political system that is often overlooked. For those interested, I'm happy to speak with academics, consultants, and UK or US attorneys about the process and whether this is a good activity to include in a future expedition.

Pappa Bear

Flip Flop Winch Technique

Also new here because of this incredible adventure (or is it adventure AND writing style?)
Brilliant story.

I also have never had a winch and a friend who has, has only used it to recover others. However, when travelling alone like this, it seems like a nice-to-have.

However, Consider the Flip-flop technique if you dont have a winch.
I Googled and copied this .doc from Landyonline.co.za, but have known of this technique for years.

Remember
*The winch is going to move toward the anchor at half the rate that the load does.
*Try this with two pencils first to get the hang of it.
*The longer the arm and he smaller the winch circumference, the more power you get.

Thanks for sharing this rudimentary but clever solution!

mistermike

You Are Both Very Lucky........................

Frederik and Josephine:

Man, you are lucky to be alive. It's amazing that you weren't beaten, robbed, tortured, raped, killed or eaten. I enjoyed reading the thread but admit I wondered if you both needed to have your heads examined for undertaking such a dangerous expedition.

Reading this thread reminded me of the famous 1959 Airstream Capetown-to-Cairo rally organized by Airstream company owner Wally Byam. Here's a link to the Web site that has the full story through the eyes of the gentleman who was the advance man for the adventure.

http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/me...galleries.html

1959-1960 was a different time. The countries they passed through were mostly British colonies. Roads were poor and the journey was not without its challenges but they made it. No one was injured, killed or eaten. It was a fascinating journey and I have enjoyed reading about it and watching the videos (available on YOUTUBE). It is a testament to the incredible quality of the Airstream trailer of the late 1950s and the vehicles that towed them.

The only thing that made it possible was the presence of British/White law and order.

In 2008 the Vintage Airstream folks thought it would be cool to have a 50th anniversary caravan following the same route. However once the organizers looked into it the original plans were quickly scrapped. Can you just picture a procession of rich white Americans in expensive vehicles towing shiny aluminum trailers the entire length of Africa in 2009? My only question at the time was not would they make it but how far would they go until something terrible happened to them. The world had changed too much in 50 years for anyone with a bit of common sense to undertake such a foolish venture that had been possible and indeed, do-able in the past.

The rally was still held to commemorate the 1959 rally on September 11th - 13th 2009 but the route was changed somewhat - the rally was from Cape (Girardeau MO) to Cairo (IL), a distance of about 34 miles. It was a whole lot safer.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Anyone got an update on F&J? hope they're doing ok. Did Fredrick manage to do the post on equipment/truck etc? I couldn't find it.

First and formost I would like to thank you for such a great trip report. Of course I accomplished absolutly nothing today. Second is even though it has been over a year since you last posted I and I am sure many others feel the same way you still owe us truck info before and now what you have done with it. Oh and big brass testies.

EWS

Observer
Just shows what can be done with determination, with what was a basic truck , no under body amour, no fancy winch, jacked up suspension ,diff locks or gizmo’s just a truck which had many miles under its belt beforehand .

May you both have an eventful and happy life on your travels. An inspiring and enlightening read

zeroabzolut

Great job, guys. It's absolutely amazing!
I am Daniel from Romania and I have discovered this thread (and the whole forum actually) by googling the overland adventures of Pouzet family (poraquiporalla.com).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles