Suburban 2500 vs Power Wagon vs Tundra

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Ok.. take it from a Power Wagon owner. It IS a rock crawler. It is powerful, it is reliable, and it will not let you down. The Dodge Power Wagon can do anything. As for an all around tough, tough, incredible trail machine, work truck, family truck, whatever. You can't beat it. Really. MPG is the only downside. Comparing a Suburban to a PW off road..... makes me laugh.

jcbrandon

Explorer
Does anyone have real world* gas mileage figures for the 2010-2011 Power Wagon?

*Around town, highway and expo off road use...

Can't answer for 2010-2011; but if it helps, my 2007 gets 13.5 mpg in town, 14.5 on the highway, and 10-12 on the trail. Stock tire size.

I've got nearly 90,000 miles on it and would buy another one tomorrow if I were in the market.

boblynch

Adventurer
The Power Wagon's are very cool. However, if I was towing in the mountains and mileage was an issue, a Dodge 5.9L diesel crew cab with a topper may be a better match. If you want an SUV consider a 00-02 Ford Excursion 7.3L diesel 4WD. The 5.9 and 7.3 engines have excellent reliability history and get better mileage than many smaller alternatives.

bftank

Explorer
i'm with bob on this one, a diesel suburban from the 90's would be horrible either.

i would think that you could get and older version of either of these for a reasonable price and still be able to afford to put selectable lockers and a decent suspension in it. before you approached the price of a new power wagon. before any body gets offended, this is an assumption, from somebody that is addicted to diesel. :wings:

bjowett

Adventurer
The Tundra is my vote (big surprise). It's based on the current generation Land Cruiser, but has a larger rear axle (5.7 only) and larger brakes. It's a true HD 1/2 ton - extreme durability while operating at rated load, which is SAE J2807 compliant. People like to put it down, just like they put down the mini trucks in the 80's, but it stomps every other 1/2 ton out there in most areas.

Power Wagons are just plain cool, hard to argue with factory lockers, winch, etc.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
A good buddy of mine recently traded in his Tundra for a Power Wagon. He is in the forestry buisness. His comment to me was that, while he loved his Tundra, it was more a fun truck, not a work truck, and he's right. Another pal just traded in a Chevy full size for one too. We all have RTTs and work together in some very remote, far off places., it's amazing where three PW's can go and accomplish. Anyhow, as far a MPG.. unloaded, on the highway I approch 15. Usually 13.5 ish. I run MTR's 35s'. In town, it's about 12 ish- 11.7 ish..
The big diffrence here is while towing. I pull a 5000 plus pound trailer, also a bed with RTT, tools, equipt, ect, and I have gotten as bad as 7.9. That hurts. I think average while towing is about 9.9- 8.5. Conditions, speed, seem to really factor in.

gahi

Adventurer
Its really too bad the Power Wagon isnt available in diesel. Have you considered and diesel Ram, than adding Power Wagon like goodies?

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Its really too bad the Power Wagon isnt available in diesel. Have you considered and diesel Ram, than adding Power Wagon like goodies?

There has been only one 3rd generation Power Wagon/Deisel conversion ever in the history of the world., it was a very wealthy buisnessman in CA that was able to do it.

It is cost prohibitive for mere mortals.

gahi

Adventurer
There has been only one 3rd generation Power Wagon/Deisel conversion ever in the history of the world., it was a very wealthy buisnessman in CA that was able to do it.

It is cost prohibitive for mere mortals.

What (besides lockers and a winch) extra do they have?

sargeek

Adventurer
Thanks for all the input.

I welcome all the outside the list thinking.

Like everyone else - a PW with a cummins would be way over the top. I like the thought of a PW w/ flip pack.

Just dreaming at this point, but trying to get the stars to align. With my luck Dodge will stop making the PW when I am ready to buy.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
What (besides lockers and a winch) extra do they have?

Well, defiantly don't talk to a Dodge salesman, they know zilch. Besides the front and rear electric lockers, there is a fully armored undercarraige, rock sliders, 4.56 gearing, lower compression mapping in 4L, an electronic disconeting swaybar, and a 12,000 pound winch, (which, is actually a 15,000 pound winch but nobody knows that.). Same exact components in the "Dodge M12000 " as in Warns, M15000. It also, has a 3 inch lift,, and ...(I recently found out but have not verified this....one ton axles. )

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I dunno guys…..You have to really really need or really really want a diesel to buy a 2010 diesel vehicle, or even 2007 and later diesel for that matter. With the latest round of diesel emissions there is little value in purchasing a new diesel vehicle anymore. Durability has been reduced, complexity has gone up, dependability has gone down, and real world fuel economy has gone down. In the case of the Ram, it is a $7700 up charge to deal with the hassles of today’s diesels. The Ram with a Cummins is actually the best of the 3 full-size diesel trucks currently on the market but you can buy a lot of gas for $7700 and have a lot less headaches in the long run.

There are reasons why the world’s largest package delivery company has added more gasoline powered vehicles in into their fleet in the last 4 years than diesels.

I work for a diesel engine manufacturer and it seems the latest breed of heavily emissionized diesel engines work best in boats. You can throw the entire tethered engine and after treatment exhaust system overboard to use it as an anchor and fish in the same spot for weeks…..even through a hurricane!

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Interesting comment on the forestry guys- 80% of the PWs end up there, and was from that market that Dodge went ahead with the project- we are just lucky.
Also, while the newer PWs ('09 on) are bigger inside, they are also about 14" longer wheelbase I believe, which is not such a good thing. While I have mine listed for sale, I actually enjoy it more than most any rig I have. When compared to a 110 Tdi, the fuel consumption is a huge difference, but in all but a very few instances, the PW reigns supreme- especially when any distance is involved. Perfect for our family of 4 really- strongly considering just keeping it...

LimaMikeMike

Observer
Of the 3 trucks mentioned the power wagon is the best offroad by a long shot, only drawback is that it is really hard on fuel, there's lots of low km PW up here for sale because guys buy 'em then find out that with the mileage and what they're doing with them a cummins would have suited them better.

I've been told they make a horrible daily driver if you commute in the city, my 2500 doesn't have as steep gears or the larger tires and my mpg is dismal.

Food for thought... some 2003 and early 2004 ram diesel 2500s came with a 10.5 ring gear AAM axle. The PW rear limited slip/locker pretty much bolts in, I know that there's more differences between a regular 2500 and a PW but you can get 9/10ths there with junk yard picking/craigslist and the aftermarket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz