Oil Lanterns

Rando

Explorer
While not as practical as a modern LED lantern, oil lanterns are great. They produce a lot nicer light than either 'cool white' LEDs or mantle style propane/white gas lanterns, and they produce an appropriate amount of light for most camp activities. One of my (many) pet peeves are mantle lanterns, they produce so much harsh and undirected light that they totally ruin the night time ambiance and leave you entirely blind if you step away from it. I find it very annoying when someone pulls into an campsite next to you and lights one of these up, you may have well be camped under a streetlight in a walmart parking lot.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
I have an old Dietz I got from K-mart back in the late 70's. It's blue and has the Big K logo stamped into the metal.

When the wick is trimmed right and set correctly it doesn't smoke no matter what I burn in it.

Citronella oil has little or no affect as far as I can tell.

I originally got the lamp for stripper fishing at night. Set low it provides enough light to tie a leader if you get close, but not so bright it kills your night vision completely.

We use it on the patio to provide mood lighting, but I never take it camping. For camp chores I want plenty of light or none. We usually get everything done before dark then just enjoy the night sky or campfire.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I'm still going through the stack of back-issue Overland Journals that I recently bought, but I do remember there was an awesome write-up on cold-blast lanterns in one of the first few issues.

Hard to beat the light from Naptha/white gas for my money, but if I needed something in between naptha and candlelight, a lantern would probably be it.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Thanks for the responses. For the price, I think may get one since I have kerosene on hand to clean my motorcycle chain and give it a try. I feel it may be more soothing to skip the hissing of the propane lantern. I usually have my Coleman double mantle on the lowest possible setting anyways (if not off) if its not being used as a guide light, cook light, or carried to the bathroom.

Not to mention the cool quirky attitude of these lanterns to match the VAN :D

But what about this coleman lantern (runs on coleman fuel or unleaded gas) but has quite the price tag (click image)

Last edited:

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
I don't care for the push-button starters. I've found them to be unreliable in damp conditions.

As for hurricane lamps, I bought a Stansport lamp on a whim while on the road to go camping about two years ago. It turned out to be fortuitous, because I had left my regular lantern at home, and it provided our light. Turned out that the fuel reservoir leaked, dripping kerosene all over the place. The store accepted an exchange two days later when we drove back through, and the next one has been fine.

My advice, buy a nicer one.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I've used these older lanterns while camping for years and am super happy with them, to the extent I've been through a couple wicks each and several gallons of mostly cintronella oil. They're awesome, remain lit almost no matter what the wind. The only issue is making sure they don't break in travel. I have a rubber maid container they nearly perfectly fit in. I've only ever broken a glass while cleaning one. Wal Mart also carries the entire lanterns for $5 each or so.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Wallyworld(walmart) sells oil lanterns. Get the oil there too. Cintronella burns just fine in them. Buddy of mine has an old red lens railroad lantern he uses camping. Always able to find our way back to the red light at night....:friday:

Wyowanderer

Explorer
How long will one stay lit on a full "tank" of fuel?

Do they travel well? ie: bumpy roads and jarring? I'm sick of breaking mantles...or it's my driving :D

Depends on the size and how bright it's burning. Mine is advertised to burn 16 hours. Most will burn more than long enough to get through a weekend.
I use a cardboard tube that just holds its diameter, with a piece of foam in the bottom, and cardboard over the foam, then the lantern goes in. I've never had it break, but I don't take it very often. If you factor in mantles, a lantern is a lot less likely to break. Naturally, it makes far less light as well.

AC's right that the Cabela's lantern is a Dietz. But the price quoted must be shipped. :)

Last edited:

ozarkroozer

Observer
why buy new. Oil lanterns are built to last and with a few exceptions can be brought back to life pretty easily. The mechanics of these things haven't changed much if any in a hundred years. Head on down to your local thrift or flea market and you'll probably find one in working order. The older ones are better made anyway. As stated look for a "dietz" they have been around a long time. They are not hard to find. I have a few in my camping kit, they burn for a really long time, good natural light, no hiss. I dont like a super bright campsite, these are perfect for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior