Oil Lanterns

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
So I was just perusing Cabela's and I've always liked the look of the Hurricane Lanterns

s7_517119_003_01

So does anybody use one? The reviews on the Cabela's site say it's a nice product and at $25...What is the light comparison? I don't use a lantern very much besides cooking and I prefer to cook in the early evening when there is still light out anyways.

The idea of having a lantern/bug repellant is pretty nifty (citronella oil). Thoughts? Warnings?

Errant

Explorer
I've got at least a dozen of them - all over my house. I use them during power outages. I've never considered taking them camping, tho.

Lichen

Explorer
Not that much light. Kerosene can smoke and stink. The lamp oil seems to burn cleaner. I have one that burns charcoal lighter fluid and it doesn't smoke at all.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
SWesty.. i swapped to these years ago. It's so much nicer sitting at a table in camp with these than the propane noise.

Search the bay and CL for Dietz lanterns.. you'd be surprised how cheap you can find these. The newer ones are made in China, but arent real flimsy when compared to the originals.

Made a pine box that these travel in.

Spend the extra few dollars for the smokeless lamp oil, much less soot on the globe and better for indoor use when the power goes out.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
They are too fragile and messy for my taste. You can't beat the current LED lanterns that are available. Some are super bright, no issues inside a tent and long battery life. The gas lamps do have a cool factor:)

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Growing up "lantern" meant a Dietz Hurricane lantern.

They don't put out as much light as a propane or electric, but they are a lot more romantic.
After a while the hissing of a propane gets on my nerves and really, most of the time in camp a lantern is plenty of light.

SWbySWesty

I like the idea of no mantles since I always seem to break my mantles on the trail in my vehicle... :D

Wyowanderer

Explorer
So I was just perusing Cabela's and I've always liked the look of the Hurricane Lanterns

s7_517119_003_01

So does anybody use one? The reviews on the Cabela's site say it's a nice product and at $25...What is the light comparison? I don't use a lantern very much besides cooking and I prefer to cook in the early evening when there is still light out anyways.

The idea of having a lantern/bug repellant is pretty nifty (citronella oil). Thoughts? Warnings?

For the money you'll spend buying a lantern at Cabela's, you can buy a nice Dietz lamp and have enought left over for fuel. Check this place out:

http://www.lanternnet.com/dietz.com.htm
No affiliation, but I've bought from them.
I'm sitting under a #80 Blizzard cold blast, and it's great. Not as powerful as a gas or propane lantern but more than enough for camping or for when the lights go out.
The scene you've seen in the movies of a lantern falling over in a barn and starting on fire just isn't so. When an oil lamp overturns, it extinguishes itself.

When looking at a lamp, consider the wick size. Bigger wick=more light output. If you buy lamp oil for indoor use and use the lamp properly, it won't smoke. Use lamp oil inside and kerosene if you're using it outside.
Both are available at the hardware store.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Growing up, we had some similar oil lamps we used during power outages and was generally impressed with the light output (compared to candles at least).

But I have to say I really have a soft spot for my Coleman lantern. A little noisy and you need to use mantles, but it is a great amount of light. Maybe it's just the ambiance of it, I dunno. I imagine an oil lantern might have its own flare too 0 but I'm not sure it will travel as well as a gas lantern.

I'm a huge fan of LED lighting, but will always take the Coleman car camping.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
For the money you'll spend buying a lantern at Cabela's, you can buy a nice Dietz lamp
The one from Cabela's is a Dietz.

The cheapest place to get them is yard sales. That's the other nice thing about them, they are dead simple so unless someone has smashed it, worst case is all it will need is a wick and globe.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
The one from Cabela's is a Dietz.

The cheapest place to get them is yard sales. That's the other nice thing about them, they are dead simple so unless someone has smashed it, worst case is all it will need is a wick and globe.

Yep, wick and globes are easily attained. Well.. most globes.

The only thing to really be carefull of is the bottom being rotted and allowing fuel to leak.

I feel i have enough light from these, if i need more i can use the flashlight or headlamp. I dont have to carry propane or batteries.

The only problem i'v ever had with these is they will freeze in cold weather. This only happened once when the temp hit -7*F.. the next night we left it burn low light and it was fine.

SWbySWesty

How long will one stay lit on a full "tank" of fuel?

Do they travel well? ie: bumpy roads and jarring? I'm sick of breaking mantles...or it's my driving :D

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I get about 10 hours on a tank of fuel at near max output.

My friends and i have six total lanterns, we made the boxes i mentioned earlier to hold a single lantern. Never had any damage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior