Oil Lanterns

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I use kerosene in mine, so I expect diesel would work, as long as it's not too cold. especially if you use 1D. I've never tried it though, but was actually thinking about it the other day.

shogun

Adventurer
The two significant sources;

http://www.lanternnet.com/

http://www.msiwix.com/index.html

Kirkmans provides answers to most of the continuing questions such as brightness and run time. As has been said, the coleman type provides super light if you dont mind the noise and large footprint. I prefer a lower profile and the ability to turn down the kero and enjoy the view is better for me. More durable and mechanically reliable.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Well, I picked up a Dietz lantern early this week! I'm in love. I'm going to get another one so that they can book end my balcony. I'm camping in Gorman this weekend and I'm looking forward to using it for a soothing camp light whilst sipping whiskey and smoking a cigar.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I've used Dietz hurrcane lanterns for over 40 years. Love 'em.

I used to always tie a loop in the tent line over the front door, and take one turned down as low as it could go and hang it there as a "porch light" when I went to bed. It was *always* still lit whenever I needed to get up in the middle of the night. Only once did I ever have one blow out due to wind.

The only thing I don't like is that they shine in your face when you're trying to see where you're going, so I always put aluminum foil over one side of the globe so I can use it as a spotlight. Tried silver paint a few times, but it didn't last long from the heat, so went back to foil.

Though lately...I've got a SERIOUS hankerin' for a Britelyt:

http://www.britelyt.com/

Last edited:

DontPanic42

Adventurer
I have a fairly large collection of oil lamps and lanterns but the Acme Inspector Lamp is one of my favourites.

The hood on this one is 8"X9", I have another that is 11" OD, and one that is 12" OD.

taugust

Adventurer
Last year I bought two of the Kirkman's house-brand lanterns for emergency use. I like them, but don't take them camping. These lanterns must stay upright, as they will leak if tipped over. The Kirkman site has info on fuel do's and dont's as well.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I have a Deitz I have used occasionally for camping and for power outages over the years. I like it a lot, silent compared to a coleman and enough light for most purposes around the campsite. If it wasn't for the difficulty of transport without spilling the fuel I would definitely bring it on expos.

jronwood

Adventurer
As one poster mentioned the Alladin Lamp is BY FAR the BEST. The come/came in all sorts of variations, glass, tin and so forth. Perhaps the "chimney" is a little fagile but hte light out put is 10x the Dietz. I have a few of both here in Alladin is IT. I think Lehman's still sells them. I have been to there store several times, VERY cool.

Jronwood

SWbySWesty

Bringing this back from the dead! Are you guys still taking yours out? I do and love it. I always get compliments about them from guests.

Dietz_Wine.jpg

taugust

Adventurer
Garrett, I'm curious how you transport your lantern. Empty? I have two that would leak at the base of the uprights if tipped over. For now, I am using vintage Coleman lanterns from the 50's and 60's.

SWbySWesty

Usually I wrap a towel around them and place where nothing will shift onto or into them. I'd love a carry case though. Usually as long as they are upright, and not moving, I haven't had an issue. I usually transport them with minimal fuel and full them in camp.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Yeah, transporting them is a problem. I love them for camping so I tried to take one out west this year and it tipped and leaked lamp oil all over. Fortunately the oil I had in it is nearly odorless so it wasn't a big deal. But until I figure out a better way to transport I may have to leave it at home.

I get the lamp oil from Wal Mart in the candle section, (note that one of the knowledgeable websites says not to use paraffin based oils). This stuff is pretty affordable and burns nice. Walmart also has replacement wicks and Dietz knock-off lanterns in the camping section.

doug720

Expedition Leader
I have made great cases from PVC and SD pipe and fittings. Go to a good builders supply and you can see the parts in person. Once assembled and glued, the case wont leak, protects whats inside, is light weight and best of all...Cheap!

Doug

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I mentioned earlier about making a wooden box for each of my Dietz, never broke a globe or spilled fuel. Many local camps and several trips out west.. it's the only lanterns we use.

I'll have to take a few pics..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles