So I bought this Yukon.......

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Some of you may know me from the other areas of the forum, but for those that don't, here I am.

I picked up a 1998 GMC Yukon a few weeks ago. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it just yet. I'm leaning towards the Rough Country 2.5-3 inch lift and 285s, ARB bar, maybe go to 4.10s.

It is bone stock right now.

123K, 5.7 Vortec, 4L60E, Push button t-case, G80 3.73, Barn doors, blah, blah, blah.

Here are a few pics:
PA040016.jpg

ExteriorDriverfrontquarter.jpg

PA040005.jpg

Since these pictures were taken, I have removed the tint strip from the windshield, had the other windows re-tinted, and removed the vent shades.

So, there you go.

Dave

matt s

Explorer
Looks real clean. My wife has 97 and honestly it's been the best vehicle we have ever owned.

Have fun building that one up a bit.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
It is very clean, very stock and very boring. It is sort of like driving our living room couch around. Plush interior that just swallows you up.

Dave

Rot Box

Explorer
Those years were very comfy--almost too comfortable :bike_rider:

They have a lot of potential can't wait to see what you do with it!

Andrew

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Congrats! A cold air intake and a dual exhaust will help wake up that sleepy feeling a good bit. I think you will find the Rough Country lift with some bigger tires to be pretty adequate for most travel duty.

Looking forward to the build....:bike_rider:

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
mogas,
Don't you have an 80 also?

I really like that particular bodystyle Yukon/Tahoe. Looks like you got a nice one.

When did they go from carb to FI and what to look for when buying?

Humvette

Adventurer
Throttle Body injection to multi port was 1996, same year as the start of the vortec.

I believe the Throttle Body started in 90?

I had a 95 2DR Yukon that i loved. I ended up putting a 6" Rancho lift on it. I was happier with it stock on 285/75/R16's. I had to do just a lil tremming though.

M

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
has the fuel injector spider been replaced by the previous owner?

:coffee:

I don't know. There aren't any issues now and it doesn't look like something that will all of a sudden show up and leave you stranded, so I probably won't do it as a PM.

If I am correct you will see many symptoms like:
Hard Starting
Poor fuel economy
Rough Idle
Truck runs fine when cold and terrible when warm
Truck will start just fine when cold and not when warm
Getting a fuel smell inside the car
Loss of power in acceleration
Check engine light, and ghost codes too.

mogas,
Don't you have an 80 also?

I really like that particular bodystyle Yukon/Tahoe. Looks like you got a nice one.

When did they go from carb to FI and what to look for when buying?

Yep, I have an 80. We had a 62, also.

I think the last year for the carburetor was '86. I'm not sure when the change to SFI from TBI happened, though.

Dave

gloriavoxdei

Adventurer
First year for TBI was 87 although a carb was still available till'88. The Vortec SFI debuted in '96 and replaced TBI in the trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles