New to ExPo - 2008 Wrangler.

Morticon

Adventurer
Shes back!

Well I am reviving this thread, as my Jeep has been in storage for almost 1.5 years due to lack of parking spots where I was renting and well... I finally broke down and put in a retaining wall so I have a 2nd parking spot.

Jeep needs new tires and rims, battery leads, and potentially a battery. It also needs some work on the reat tire carrier and some general TLC all over.

Ill be uploading some pics tonight from Novmeber when I went and visited my pretty girl and started her up for a bit.

Im going to be getting these http://www.fueloffroad.com/wheel.cfm?id=4047 wrapped in some 315/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler MTR W/ Kevlar. Pretty darn excited!

Morticon

Adventurer
Potential new parking spot...
imagejpg1_zps2f63c70b.jpg

Progress...
imagejpg2_zpse44ad0e7.jpg

Further...
imagejpg4_zpsbf72511e.jpg

Done!
imagejpg5_zps696d48ae.jpg

And parked in with my XJ...
imagejpg9_zpsb95d7236.jpg

imagejpg10_zpsee37e6ea.jpg

And the jeep that will soon sit where the work truck currently resides...
imagejpg12_zpsab9d60eb.jpg

imagejpg13_zps7d188266.jpg

Morticon

Adventurer
Thanks guys! Next on the list for the jeep is several things. MCE fenders, 1.5" RK crawler lift to replace 3" frankenlift... I also want an interior cargo rack, and the frontrunner slideout cargotray... and... and....and... haha

Morticon

Adventurer
Well,

After a year and a half in a damp sotrage place (an old chicken barn) some things needed work. A new battery, new battery terminals... and my hotcold knob and foot/defront switches are kind of seized. the hot cold isnt so bad just a little stick.. but the Defrost/foot one is for sure cause i broke the knob of while... being a knob I guess...

Ohh well here are some pictures!

Sunrider back and windows out.
IMG_20140504_102934_zps68983923.jpg

The pup enjoying it!
IMG-20140504-00119_zps596caa2a.jpg

Crusin down the road
IMG-20140504-00116_zpse51ab6b8.jpg

I think hes happy
IMG-20140504-00120_zps8bf8143a.jpg

IMG-20140504-00121_zps01868dce.jpg

Morticon

Adventurer
Had the jeep out again this Saturday. Headed up to the market. It's amazing how a gravel parking lot after a thunderstorm, makes your rig look that much

imagejpg4_zps5072e221.jpg

Found a stock x 2dr with rubi takeoffs. Neat to see the difference.
imagejpg3_zpsb217fb8a.jpg

Morticon

Adventurer
Tires.. Tires... Tires...

Ive spent more on tires for this Jeep then anything else for it. And that includes lockers and gears...

I wanted 315/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler MTR's With Kevlar, but Goodyear is out and have no idea when they will start production again.
I wanted the Fuel Anza D558s but they are brand new and havent started production yet.

I just wanted to spend all my money! why so hard!? haha

So I ended up calling Discount Tire Direct, and got a hold of Patrick. He was amazing.

I ended up with a set of 315/75R16 Hankook Dynapro MT RT003s, which are WAY cheaper then the MTR's and would you look at that.... looks like FourWheeler Magazine loved them... alot!

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/w...tire-shootout-first-place-hankook-dynapro-mt/

I love the oldschool look of the tread pattern. Anyway I also ended up going with the Level 8 ZX rims with the protective rock rings for wheels. They are sexy and have similar styling to the Fuel rims I was looking at.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...ubmitProductSize.do?pc=57369&tmn=ZX&typ=Truck

The optional rock ring protection is 64 dollars for a pack of 2 rings. Well worth it in my opinion. I also paid for theyre tire replacement. As long as my tires have 3/32nds or more no matter how I damage them they will replace them for free, shipped to my home. In Canada, no brokerages fees nothing. Even if I pop a sidewall offroad.

I havent had such great service in a long time! Should ship out late next week as some stuff needs to come from texas first. Super excited to have these on intime for the Mid State Overland Festival that Mainline Overland is holding!

Morticon

Adventurer
Finally! - Installed

Finally the day I have been waiting for has come. Tires have been installed.

I LOVE these tires. They are a lot skinnier then my old Mickey Thompsons although they are the same 12.5" width. I also went with less backspacing on these rims. For two reasons. 1 being I didnt like how much my old tires stuck out and 2 because my old rims were 15's they needed more backspacing to fit around the brakes.

I cant believe how quiet these tires are! Ive only driven ~25km (~15.5 miles) but DAMN!

Also of note, I was having death wobble issues before with my old tires, and even after replacing a bunch of parts I still had this awful shimmy starting at 70 (~40 mph) and bareable untill 110 (~70mph) and progressively worse after that! I got on the highway real quick and had them up to 110 with ZERO shimmy wobble... anything! even took my hands off the steering wheel and it rain straight as an arrow.

Anyway enough babling. Here is what everyone has been waiting for.

At the shop
facebook-20140605-134315_zpscd17e99c.png

IMG_20140605_140127_zps6fa67e15.jpg

Back at work.
IMG_20140605_144055_zps306873b1.jpg

Anyway I am so stoked, and cannot wait to go out wheeling in 2 weeks, as well as take the long haul down to BESF for the Mid-State Overland Festival! Gunna be a blast.

Let me know what you guys think!

Morticon

Adventurer
Well I finally got out on the trails after nearly 2 years and had a great time putting the rig to use.

We hit Bobcaygeon, five points trail system. About 3 hour drive from me.

Has so much flex up front it rubs a tiny bit on the inner metal fender support

imagejpg1_zpse48938ef.jpg

imagejpg5_zpsc3e0c9bc.jpg

All of these jeeps are on 35's or 37's and fully locked.

imagejpg20_zpsdd4648ad.jpg

imagejpg22_zps1a794541.jpg

imagejpg21_zps8451d136.jpg

When you are on 35s high centred with all 4 wheels spinning you might be stuck!
imagejpg19_zps85889c2f.jpg

Literally a 1 second pull from his winch got him over enough to move on. That must of hurt the ego!

imagejpg18_zpsb61e192a.jpg

The only breakdown/damage of the day was from a lost bead on a rim. the tire slipped of a rock while positioning for an obstacle and got pinched thus loosing the bead. This is why you carry spares. Especially at 13 psi. Maybe 12 psi would of been better luck? Lol
imagejpg17_zps98ad2d61.jpg

Part 2 of the trip to come soon...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94