Coleman Oven

Sirocco

Explorer
I know you guys get these in the US. Here in the UK they are almost unheard of. I like the idea of one for various recipes and as they are compact can be stored easily.

Just wondering:

how often do you use one?
what you cook in it?
advantage over say, a dutch oven on an open fire (we already have this set-up).
is it worth carrying around?
reliable/durable?

thought I would ask the question before I try to persuade a US ebayer to ship one to me :ylsmoke:

cheers,

G

DontPanic42

Adventurer
I keep a Coleman oven as a backup for when I can't use a DO. More and more places here in the States are banning open fires even charcoal. I have also prepared dishes that are normally baked in a steamer on the camp stove. Corn pudding works well in a steamer. Some of my best steamed pudding recipes have come from the UK. Any sugestions?
You can find recipes and ovens at the Camp Chef web site. www.campchef.com

JKDetonator

Adventurer
Biscuits!! Hot biscuits for breakfast are a mainstay at my camp; leftovers are used for lunchs. It seems I'm always making new "friends" at breakfast time...

ruger1

Observer
They're also great on a wood stove or camp stove when the power goes out. My neighbor who's now 86 had one years ago and used it at deer camp to make biscuits and bread for us when I was young. When he couldn't find it a couple of years ago, we got him one for Christmas and he uses it quite a bit on his wood stove when we cut up venison. I like the way they're well built and fold very compact. We ordered his from Cabelas.

Sirocco

Explorer
I just took a look on ebay and many seem to be selling for more than new, which is about $30-35.

Will cetainly see if i can get a new one shipped over 1st.

still cant decide if its worth 'having' or not. We carry a DO which could probably do what the oven could.

decisions... can someone sway it one way or the other please!

G

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Buy one.

How's that? ;)

Seriously though, if a vendor won't ship it to the UK I can pick one up and post it to you.

v8chris

Griff,

If getting two of the Coleman ones sent across makes the carriage more sensible I might be interested in one, and I reckon an extra one or two would sell pretty quickly on ebay over here too.

Had toyed with trying to make something similar if I didn't happen across a coleman at sensible money.

I use both the colman and DO, find the coleman can be a bit harsh on the bottom of what you cook but i put a baking dish full of water in the bottom to distribute the heat better, makes for AWESOME cheescakes!!

what do people think of the camp chef oven with the 2 burners on top?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94