New guy new build...

tone

Does anyone know where I could pick up a trailer axel w/o brakes for this project or is anyone on here getting rid of one thats in the socal area?

cocco78

Adventurer
Does anyone know where I could pick up a trailer axel w/o brakes for this project or is anyone on here getting rid of one thats in the socal area?

http://abctrailerparts.com/

Great prices even with shipping... I got a 2000lb axle kit complete with springs, u-bolts, 5 on 4.5 hubs, spring hangar kit, cut to whatever width I wanted shipped to my door for $200.

I built a little trailer to take camping with me...

ifvbxy.jpg

2qxxr2p.jpg

up_expedition070.jpg

Last edited:

tone

Making slow progress due to working alot of OT. But I sanded the top part of the frame with a drill and a wire wheel, talk about back killer! Then painted the topside:
c83b1d30.jpg

Will do the bottom side tomorrow hopefully and go get a piece of wood for the floor and weather proof it/throw it on...

This little pregnant feller jumped out at me towards the end and met his fate with a screw driver:
764b27aa.jpg

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Hi everyone my name is Anthony, long time jeeper first time trailer/camper owner. A little bit about me I'm 25 and live in the Palm Springs area in SoCal have a 97 Cherokee that is my DD/Wheeler, just got a 91 Starcraft meteorite pop up for free off a jeep forum I'm on.

This is my first trailer build that I've done and don't have a whole lot of knowledge in the trailer world so bare with me...

I picked the trailer up two days ago from a guy that was giving it away due to he couldn't keep it anymore cause he was moving and had no place to store it. I drove up to his place changed the tires and hauled it off to start it's new life down here in the desert. The guy didn't have any paper work for the trailer but wrote me a bill of sale(kinda weary about not having the paper work for it.). Anyway on to the build... I did a google search and got some inspiration from a build someone else did to a pop up http://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech/354638-offroad-popup-camper-build.html I would like to do something similar to that build essentially.

The day I picked it up:
c49ebc9f.jpg

Popped the top when I got home not knowing what was in store for me:
5ffd3b82.jpg

0a550e8f.jpg

The canvas was all mildew/rotten/ripped so off with the canvas:
ccd92dd7.jpg

After I got the canvas off I noticed the roof was rotted out from a leak in the top somewhere and the rear part of the floor was also rotted from the leaky roof so I thought that I might as well strip it so I started taking everything on the inside out:
5c77a848.jpg

Got everything out and ran out of sunlight so this is where I stopped for the day:
b3ff9784.jpg

3fd49dcf.jpg

Tomorrow I plan on trying to strip everything off down to the frame so I can start beefing it up. This is gonna be a slow build cause I haven't won the lottery yet :) but I'm gonna try to get it done as fast as my wallet let's me!

Is there anything that I should worry about this early in the build or any advice that would be helpful that I should know? Also is there a good (cheap) place online that I can get a new canvas and maybe some other replacement parts that I might need? Like I said I'm new to this game and don't really know too much in the trailer world.

I'll be updating this thread as I work. Should have another update by Wednesday so stay tuned! :D
Nasty neat looking XJ in the back ground.....trailer looks like a great deal for what you had to pay for it:sombrero:If you have trouble registering it A guy I talked to had a buddy transfer his title to a buddy here in Oregon.....then they transferred it back to him.....Oregon's real easy and has no plates for those. they didn't even ask to see it at the DMV. I'm sure several states could work for that.....:smiley_drive:

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Two pretty easy fixes for that

Cheap.. Spot weld the nuts..

Kinda costly, but not as much as a new set up lights.
http://www.kchilites.com/accessories/light-locks/

Kinda like wheel locks.. You've gotta have the right "key" to get 'em off..
I put a big ole glob of silly-cone on one side of the nut.....takes a Exact-O knife to cut it off nice enough to get the wrench on it. Should take em a while when they come back w/ a knife and the dogs start barking. Dog food's cheap compared to lights and they keep you warm at night.:victory:

tone

Awesome project. Here is mine from this last summer-

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49564

Looks good Im diggin the diamond plate! I had the same thing in mind just not on the back, I dont wanna blind people at night with their own lights :) that siding looks good too, wonder if it comes in a charcoal gray and black diamond plate sound like a good color combo! :D

Thanks for the help and replys everyone keep em' coming!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles