New guy new build...

tone

Hi everyone my name is Anthony, long time jeeper first time trailer/camper owner. A little bit about me I'm 25 and live in the Palm Springs area in SoCal have a 97 Cherokee that is my DD/Wheeler, just got a 91 Starcraft meteorite pop up for free off a jeep forum I'm on.

This is my first trailer build that I've done and don't have a whole lot of knowledge in the trailer world so bare with me...

I picked the trailer up two days ago from a guy that was giving it away due to he couldn't keep it anymore cause he was moving and had no place to store it. I drove up to his place changed the tires and hauled it off to start it's new life down here in the desert. The guy didn't have any paper work for the trailer but wrote me a bill of sale(kinda weary about not having the paper work for it.). Anyway on to the build... I did a google search and got some inspiration from a build someone else did to a pop up http://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech/354638-offroad-popup-camper-build.html I would like to do something similar to that build essentially.

The day I picked it up:
c49ebc9f.jpg

Popped the top when I got home not knowing what was in store for me:
5ffd3b82.jpg

0a550e8f.jpg

The canvas was all mildew/rotten/ripped so off with the canvas:
ccd92dd7.jpg

After I got the canvas off I noticed the roof was rotted out from a leak in the top somewhere and the rear part of the floor was also rotted from the leaky roof so I thought that I might as well strip it so I started taking everything on the inside out:
5c77a848.jpg

Got everything out and ran out of sunlight so this is where I stopped for the day:
b3ff9784.jpg

3fd49dcf.jpg

Tomorrow I plan on trying to strip everything off down to the frame so I can start beefing it up. This is gonna be a slow build cause I haven't won the lottery yet :) but I'm gonna try to get it done as fast as my wallet let's me!

Is there anything that I should worry about this early in the build or any advice that would be helpful that I should know? Also is there a good (cheap) place online that I can get a new canvas and maybe some other replacement parts that I might need? Like I said I'm new to this game and don't really know too much in the trailer world.

I'll be updating this thread as I work. Should have another update by Wednesday so stay tuned! :D

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Welcome to ExPo. Looks like a nice project you got there. Just guessing, but I would think that taking good care of the lifts and roof while re-habing the trailer will save a bundle in the long run. Also a search should find a awning/canvas shop here in Southern California. The old canvas looked a tad bit moldy. Did you have to toss it or could you save it for a pattern source? I know I wouldn't want to keep a bunch of mold ridden canvas around to breathe in.

tone

Most of the canvas was dry rotted and ripped off, but I used a razor blade to cut the old canvas off the c-channel type bracket that was holding it on, all the canvas is in the garbage can, I didn't think I needed it but I can save it if need be I just thought that there was a company that made a replacement for these things? Or would it be cheaper to have one made from a canvas shop?

tone

Another pic of the jeep

9d9fefe0.jpg

I don't leave the 9" HIDs on the light bar cause I rather not wake up one morning and them be gone... Just keeping honest people honest :)

mudbutt

Explorer
Nice XJ!....

For sure keep the old canvas just in case you need a pattern.

Look around the web, I know I have seen outfits that sell replacement canvas.

F3X

A quick Google search will find a complete new canvas made for your trailer for about 800ish.

I have a pop up in the yard that needs a off road mod as well..........someday.

Good luck on the build!!

tone

Got off to a late start today cause I worked a grave yard shift...

Pile of parts pulled off yesterday:
d9bcfa84.jpg

081dced5.jpg

Can't really tell but in this pic I had just taken the aluminum off, the foam was moldy in some spots:
f8e54bfa.jpg

The screws in the roof were nothing to write home about, most of them were loose and the ones in the rotted part of the wood were held in by the calking:
a8fd2b98.jpg

My dog was trying to help me pull this thing apart :):
2b26b388.jpg

I ended up getting the roof off leaving the sides for a template until I can get the wood to replace. I'd like to start on the roof first and start working my way down. The only thing I have noticed is that trying to save most of the OEM parts is starting to become a pain in the butt due to the fact that they are either rusted, in bad shape, or gonna take some elbow grease getting them cleaned up:
4e0db158.jpg

Then I decided to take a beer break considering it is my day off and all:
c9b01be4.jpg

And that's where I'm at right now, I'm gonna start taking some of the interior pieces off and putting them aside for later use. I'm a one man team right now so progress is slow unfortunately, oh well I'm having fun and can't wait to start building!

tone

What a great day to be outside working today! :D

This is one of the many black widdows that I've found in this trailer:
1d5c862b.jpg

Started ripping the back off:
4240abe6.jpg

1f747da8.jpg

Got all the lifters and walls out along with the vinyl flooring:
5d3c3319.jpg

My junk pile keeps getting bigger!:
3cdfe018.jpg

Got the floor ripped out, screw finding all the screws under the vinyl that didn't come up to unscrew the floor, that's what muscles are for, to rip it off:
26fef642.jpg

Once I had the floor off I unscrewed all the screws that were still in the frame then ran out of sun light. But today's destruction is brought to you by:
99f4a0c3.jpg

That's all I got done today, but will wire wheel the frame/prime/paint on my next couple days off. I'm trying to decide weather or not I wanna use rhino liner on the frame or if I should just paint it with some good paint to save weight? Also gonna try to see if I can't find some stock leafs from a Cherokee and different axel so I can take care of that part while it's stripped. Another thought was that I was gonna box the corners of the floor instead of angling for added space, is there any reason I shouldn't?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles