Dodge Dakota as Expo Vehicle?

OffaRex

Observer
The kids actually did much better than I expect. They had their moments, but overall they had a fun time and didn't whine too much. The worst part was actually the first few nights before we got far enough west to leave the oppressive heat and humidity behind.

We wimped out on the way back and stayed in motels once we got east of Kansas.

ned

Just picked up a 2000 Dakota Quad Cab. I dont plan to go extreme with it. I have had built up vehicles in the past. Gas hogs. I just want to put 31" tires and a hefty bumper. Really just something to repell deer and soemthing I can pull or push from.

fjatheart

Adventurer
The kids actually did much better than I expect. They had their moments, but overall they had a fun time and didn't whine too much. The worst part was actually the first few nights before we got far enough west to leave the oppressive heat and humidity behind.

We wimped out on the way back and stayed in motels once we got east of Kansas.

Nice! I admire hitting the road with the kids and getting them outdoors. You make some great memories this way!

Bikemobile

Adventurer
I had a 2002 quad 4x4 with the 4.7.
It also had 3:91 gears and 32's. I loved that truck and the power was good. Payload was pitiful and towing wasnt the greatest. It drove great though.

punisher1130

Adventurer
I wondered the same thing and got some real good support to say the truck would be a good platform. I have a 99 extended cab with the 5.2mag, a suspension and body lift and 33's( look at my profile picture) and between me and my friends 2 kids ageing between 9 and 12, the truck works perfectly, the kids have enough room to be comfortable in the back seats and I believe my truck has more payload then the newer ones due to the bigger motor and the same drive train as a ram 1500 ( towed a couple cars and never felt them behind me). Though I have yet to take it out on a full expedition run I have taken it out on a couple mud trails and trust me when I say its got plenty of power, as it sits I get between 17 and 18 if I get the cruse set right. All in all it can serve well for a dual purpose rig.

The biggest down side for me is the fact that all Dakotas and Durango's of all years do not have very good off road support with parts, very little available for these truck so depending on what you want chances are it will have to be custom, however you did mention you wanted to get one and do a axle swap, that is the best move you can do with these truck and the axles from a 2005-present F250 super duty will fit under the wheel wells so no worried about the wheels being wider then the truck. Just find a good fab shop that is willing to work with you, that shop I am going to is charging me $4500 to do the whole thing meaning getting the axles, doing the full suspension front and back, all the linkages and a 4 link set up. Once all that is done then the payload can increase a little from there since the super duty suspension would be used on it.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I had a 98 with the 318 magnum in it. I added 2" of lift front and rear, and put 32x11.50x15 on it. I used it ALOT in the back country, camping and hunting. Great truck. Gas milage was not too bad, but was not great either. The biggest issue with the 98 was the crappy ball joints. Every trip I would trash one. Come to find out, they changed them in 99 to greaseable units. MUCH better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior