Asymmetrical Roof Rack Idea. Thoughts?

ExpoMike

Hi everyone,

So I have been thinking about building my roof rack for a couple years. I keep coming up with new ideas and had finally planned on what I was going to do. That was until I got a great deal on an African Outback 6' awning. My original design was going to be 5'x4'. Now I need to go 6'x4'. I have the length available but really can't go much longer than 6'. Since the AO awning requires the pivot mounts to be fastened at the ends, I keep coming up with issues of how to mount the end when most rack designs are rounded corners. This causes the last few inches of the rack to move away from the awning and I would have to "float" mounts out off these corners.

This led me to the idea of an asymmetrical rack, where the edge with the awning has squared corners but the other side has rounded corners. I did a quick drawing in Paint to give an idea of what I am planning, with lights and my spare. :)

Let me know if these seems like an idea that would work and look okay or any flaws with the idea. Thanks.

The green bar down the right side is the awning.

Attachments

• roofrack.JPG
    roofrack.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 52

78Bronco

Explorer
Are you going to make it from steel or aluminum?

I see no problem with it being asymetrical if that is what you need to mount the awning.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I think that the design will be just fine with one side square and one side rounded however having just been an XJ owner for 13 years and having a rack on it for most of that time, I think that 4' is a little narrow. Think about 4.5' to 5'. That may seen wide, but if the rain gutters are going to be the mounting point, the rack will be directly over them.

ExpoMike

Thanks for the input. Rack will be steel as I don't have the equipment to weld aluminum.

Thanks for the info about width. I really need to setup the awning and get an idea of where it needs to sit and build the width based off of that. Might be 4'3" or some random number. Trying to keep low profile and tight as I can to help with aerodynamics... if there is such a thing with an XJ. LOL :D

off-roader

Expedition Leader
You could also make a pair of add on corners you mount to your rack then mount the awning to that. This way if you ever elect to sell the rack and upgrade it, you can.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Based on the drawing it looks good, with the awning giving balance to the rack. How often would the rack be used without the awning attached? And truthfully I doubt many would notice the contrast.

Let me know if you need any help making the rack Mike. I'm in a similar predicament with my Africa Outback awning; Need to attach to my non AO rack. Will trade help and beer for ideas to steal.

ExpoMike

Based on the drawing it looks good, with the awning giving balance to the rack. How often would the rack be used without the awning attached? And truthfully I doubt many would notice the contrast.

Let me know if you need any help making the rack Mike. I'm in a similar predicament with my Africa Outback awning; Need to attach to my non AO rack. Will trade help and beer for ideas to steal.

Actually the awning would always be attached. The rack, awning, lights, etc would either be on the Jeep or removed completely (unlikely).

BTW, I have a ton of ideas for mounts by either making new pivot brackets or chopping off the "legs" off the AO brackets. Then you can mount it to any flat surface.

AYIAPhoto

Adventurer
Rack will be steel as I don't have the equipment to weld aluminum.
I don't know what you're planning to weld with, but if you have a stick welder aluminum rods are available. Not as pretty as tig welds initially, but can be cleaned up nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior