rear interior bedliner= good or bad?

coreys88burban

Adventurer
I want to remove the carpet behind my middle row of seat in the burb and put a bedliner on. main abuse will be firewood and tools, water, and blood (i hunt), so it dosnet need to be linex or rhino line as it will be kept clean and wont take abuse like the bed of a puckup does and im in seattle so it wont get dried out or faded.

I was thinking about Herculiner..seems easy enough to do. just prep is a B!@#$, has anyone used Herculiner in the rear? got pics? like it? not like it? need to know whats bad about it.

will it be louder? colder inside?

i used pain to see what it will look kinda like.

33796332992.jpg

doing the back of the 2nd row, floor, and wheel wells.

also thinking about lower door panels where the carpet piece is???

Last edited:

snakedoctor

I have been kicking this idea around for a while I kept running into the hot?cold and noisy.

I was talking with a buddy that does stereos. He suggested dynomat or the like and some carpet foam.

Now I haven't done it BUT I was thinking that the foam and them dynomat would leave it easy to puncture with pressure which got me thinking, Thin sheet metal or lexon (sp) bolted down over and line X'ed or what ever you use. maybe ply wood could work and hold the liner better.

First post so I really hope this helps some!:wavey:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I used to drive an 89 burb without carpet, and I assure you, it will be too loud!
Make a plywood "box" in the back and herculine it. It will keep things way cleaner and blood won't end up in the cracks etc of the body!:REOutShootinghunter

coreys88burban

Adventurer
i dont really care about sound. i usually roll my rear windows down anyways. i cant drive 4 crap in a soundproof car..thats a mind F#$%er lol loud pipes save lives and loud tires are fun tires.

chasespeed

Explorer
Okay... I did this to my bronco.....

It did NOT add weight.

I did the WHOLE cabin...

I did this, as the truck was for the beach and the lake, and we have 2 younger daughters... so, sand, mud, seaweed, etc would find its way into the bronc... needed something easy to clean out....

Gutted the 1985 interior, carpet, sound deadener, etc.... and herc'd the whole cabin....

I had to re-wire the entire cabin. There was a surprising amount of wires running under the carpet....

Anyway, I the amount of carpet, padding, and deadner that I yanked... weighed A LOT more than the Herc I put in.....

I did make the vehicle louder, hotter in the summer, etc. But, I did the whole truck....

Chase

Humvette

Adventurer
I am not worried about the weight at all. I could see it being a little louder, but not that much. I want to have just bedliner when offroad, and arround town i will make some mats that have lots of insulation on them to further cut sound.

Lets see pics.
M

Murfman

Observer
Add weight.

Why do people always comment on the added weight? Herculiner weighs ~ 10Lbs a gallon, how is that a problem, it's not like you are going to use 50 gallons of the stuff.

With that said, I have used lava liner (Good stuff, not sure if it is around anymore, it stayed more rubbery when dry) Herculiner (Did not really care for it, it was too thin and dried hard) I would recommend pulling everything out of the interior, and driving to a rhinoliner shop and have them spray it on, you will never get a do it yourself liner to achieve the thickness and protection of rhinolining. I had the bed from from my ram coated, it added 30 Lbs doing it top and bottom, inside and out, it is near a 3/16" thick in the floor.

DSC02052.jpg

I would add the rhinoliner all the way up to the firewall, and cut the carpet to fit around the seats etc.. like Jeep does on Wranglers so it can be removed. Reinstall the carpet over the rhinolining and you will have the best of both worlds, when you know you are going hunting or hauling wood pull the carpet out before you leave, then for highway trips etc.. you can have the carpet to keep it quiter and warmer. I will say that Rhinolining is quite a bit quiter and warmer than bare painted steel though.

Last edited:

Humvette

Adventurer
The shop i went to said it would be really hard inside the H1 because the nozzle is soo long. Anyone got any advice. Is there a short one? Flexhead...

I will try acouple of other shops before i "pull the trigger" I will be taking out all the interior myself...
M

Phreak480

Army Guy
defintitely do the liner on the interior. remember you can always lay carpet back over any part of it you wish. in the back of the burb i would try and find to go on top of it one of this high lip cargo liners like the stuff that weathertech makes at least for keeping the blood from running all over. and might help a little with impact from tossing in firewood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles