EarthRoamer XV-JP "Northwest Edition"

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Now that XV-JP looks proper!
PS--I now know my duties on the next trip; official bike-pusher-man! :sombrero:

ab1985

Explorer
I've been going back through this thread as I prepare to complete my interior build. I'd be lying if I said I haven't dreamed about shipping it off to Paul for the full treatment. Maybe someday...

Do you have pictures posted anywhere else online - maybe all together in one place?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Do you have pictures posted anywhere else online - maybe all together in one place?
Well, that's a pretty useful question but, no, there's no other archive beyond this one.

If you'd like some photos of anything special, I'll be happy to take them for you.

ab1985

Explorer
No worries, you've got things pretty well documented here. Was just curious if there was anything else around.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
No worries, you've got things pretty well documented here. Was just curious if there was anything else around.
Some who weren't paying attention to it near its introduction date might not know that the EarthRoamer XV-JP has one of the highest publicity to vehicles manufactured ratios of anything with four wheels. Toward the end of the last decade, the ER Jeep got mentioned in a few high-circulation national magazines, as well as lots of vehicle blogs, including the big ones like jalopnik, allpar and autoblog. The result is that web searching for "EarthRoamer XV-JP" will get you a lot of hits and a lot of reading material. My favorite, and ER's biggest accomplishment, was a full-length article by John Phillips in the million-circulation Car and Driver of November, 2009:

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ay-we-drive-a-120000-jeep-earthroamer-feature

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I think you and I should take it to Cars and Coffee soon. Talk about bombardment of interest!

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
You don't see much of the XV-JP in these forums any more. That's a result, sad to say, of it pretty much being done. I can't really think of anything fruitful to do to it or buy for it. What a bummer. ;)

On the other hand, not constantly building on it means that it gets out a lot more. I'm really fortunate to be able to use this as a single-purpose camper. It's really nice to have a dedicated vehicle that needs no prep beyond cooling down the fridge and has nothing to pack except the food and clothes.

The most recent trip was a quick run down to Central Oregon with Jeremy, Jer's manly dog, Boo, and Jeremy's fine G-Wagen. We went down along the John Day in our obsessively built-up trucks only to find the road in "high-clearance passenger car" condition. Oh, well, the camping was good and, except for a need to squash the many dozen tiny gnats that made it into the Jeep's cabin, there were no problems.

Jer and Boo had comfy digs in the G.

P1020126.jpg

It sounds stupid, but I actually forget sometimes how the cabin floor turns into an excellent table, but this was a great time to remember to use it; I got to eat supper looking straight at the river.

P1020130.jpg

It was cloudy for the whole day, with the sun finally starting to break through around sunset.

P1020121.jpg

And, boy, did that work out well. A FANTASTIC sunset.

P1020132.jpg

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Mike, I'm a firm believer that too many people spend their entire time outfitting their rides, rather than enjoying them for what they're meant to accomplish.....to get you out into the wilds, the backroads or even the local state forests. Who cares if you have 20" of ground clearance or can crawl over some crazy rock garden. Few of us actually go out and do that, so the fact that you're using your XV-JP for what it was meant to do...get you out camping, Kudo's to you!

I love Paul's work he did on this Earthroamer, and I'm so glad to see you out enjoying it. One day I hope to be sitting at that table with you enjoying a cold beverage while taking in the view

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles