EarthRoamer XV-JP "Northwest Edition"

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
WOW! wow wow wow!

I am not sure what to say first!

Gosh, the fact that I have misse this thread for so long! I have been asking Mike about this for a year now! Crazy.

OK first I thought that the ER had TWO winches, I am shocked that they did not see how much it would damage the vehicle using only one support point holding that bed up!

I always thought that there were way too many cables and pullies inside that jeep, that it was a bit too messy for me, but to see the wires being just the same. In a way that irks me and I don't even own one! But to spend THAT MUCH money to buy one of these things and then have the workmanship apear so shotty after a realatively minor useage. I mean these things are supposed to be for people to travel round the world in! What would they do in Africa when the whole bloody side of the truck was ripping apart. Wow, sad and shocked. Maes me wonder about the quality of the ford ER. Shame.

WOW this thing looks SO good!

I like I like

I had actually mentioned to Mike that he should consider doing the FWC type roof lift, only with hard sides, and he mentioned the poor feisability of having the hard side right behind the driver and passanger. Still this is an amazing camper, and I think it is right in line with the AEV jeep camper. (Still a shame they never put theirs out)

Mike I am totally impressed with the way it has come out so far. Still wish there was room for more than one to sleep in there, but your purposes and mine are quite obviously somewhat different given our different family sizes! haha

Thanks a lot for sharing, and those graphiscs are truely amazing and perfect. You could not have done better IMHO.

Brian

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
WOW! wow wow wow! You could not have done better IMHO.

Aw, shucks. :)

Seriously, thanks for the compliments; I'm pleased that you think it came out OK, since I respect your opinion on such matters.

And FWIW, I'm now a little more inclined than I was to have a bed drop down out of the roof, increasing the sleeping capacity. It seems like a higher bunk on streetside wouldn't be in the way of anyone sleeping on a lower bunk on curbside, so there might not be any reason not to do add it.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Aw, shucks. :)

Seriously, thanks for the compliments; I'm pleased that you think it came out OK, since I respect your opinion on such matters.

And FWIW, I'm now a little more inclined than I was to have a bed drop down out of the roof, increasing the sleeping capacity. It seems like a higher bunk on streetside wouldn't be in the way of anyone sleeping on a lower bunk on curbside, so there might not be any reason not to do add it.

Well now I am thinking aw shucks.

The bed sounds like a good idea. Then I can come borrow it!

Seriously though, I Have been putting some thought into it this weekend. I think that what you have is the best possibility to give you two sleeping spaces. I was trying to think of a good way to allow you to put in full single bed up top, and I came up with something, but it would be a pain.

If you are interested... If you had a bed (also on a hinge in the same relative location as the roof) that you could strap up to the roof when not in use, then you can lower it down to the level of the upper storage area. The only concern is that you would have to put in an access hatch, into the bed, similar to the one in the JK flipac from AT. Then you could have a full bed up there. (Of course you would also have to work out the hinge to the roof, or something to mate the hinge to the roll cage.

Then I remembered that in your sprinter you set it with two separate beds. I have seen a lot of expedition vehicles with separate beds due to being too hot etc.

Mike I have to ask...

I see that the sides have not got a permanent attachment to the bottom of the truck. Therefore when you open it you have to seal the sides. To me that seems like, in heavy rain, you could easily end up with a deluge inside before you are able to do up the sides. Therefore: Can you hook the sides on fully prior to opening the top? You mentioned being able to open without getting out (which is a wonderful idea!) so it would be nice to keep dry while you did that...

Cheers
Brian

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
If you are interested... If you had a bed (also on a hinge in the same relative location as the roof) that you could strap up to the roof when not in use, then you can lower it down to the level of the upper storage area. The only concern is that you would have to put in an access hatch, into the bed, similar to the one in the JK flipac from AT. Then you could have a full bed up there. (Of course you would also have to work out the hinge to the roof, or something to mate the hinge to the roll cage.
Yep, that's the first-place idea so far, more or less. However, for my use, it makes most sense to have the bed just be half the width of the camper (on the streetside half) and sleep one person, while the other person goes on the lower curbside as planned. This allows easier access to the ground floor (including the toilet) than if I had to use an access hatch. It also means that the bed wouldn't block off heat from the furnace, ventilation from the windows and fan, etc., like a full-width one would.

I see that the sides have not got a permanent attachment to the bottom of the truck. Therefore when you open it you have to seal the sides. To me that seems like, in heavy rain, you could easily end up with a deluge inside before you are able to do up the sides.
The tent sides are stored (rolled up) in the top and attached permanently along their top side. So to put the tent walls up, all you have to do is untie them and when you raise the roof, they'll fall down over the top edge of the cabin. You might have to push them outwards a little, but you more or less have protection from the rain from the start. Once the roof is fully raised (a few seconds), it takes maybe a minute more to snap the lower inside edge to the cabin and zip the pieces together, but the tent is already "up' while you are doing this.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Gotcha!

Yeah, like I said, it is a lot like the AEV version, only I think a fair bit nicer.

Thanks for the details. Very neat stuff.

By the way, with the bed set up, on the street side, will you hinge it at all, or will you just set it up so that it is a permanent mount that does not move?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
By the way, with the bed set up, on the street side, will you hinge it at all, or will you just set it up so that it is a permanent mount that does not move?
Not sure yet, Brian. Most likely is to have to hinged at the rear and stored up it in the roof until deployed. However, that'll limit how the ceiling could be done, and I was thinking about lights, speakers, hanging storage bags, etc., uo there. Another option is to have a platform that folds, accordian style, for storage at either the front or rear. Early days on this still, I guess.

DKB2GO

Observer
Envy

Incredible changes to your rig. Truly amazing transformation to create a personalized and even more functional setup. Keep us posted on further changes.

Cheers,

David

squeezer

Adventurer
Mike,

I cant help but think that a sewn webbing with the proper tension control system would be cool. Probably could work out a configuration where the webbing stored against the top (could be made to hold light gear and bedding). And then attached to a pair of lower mounts when deployed for sleeping. You could probably fix the hinge end and only have to move the other between storage and sleep modes...

Cheers

Chris

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I cant help but think that a sewn webbing with the proper tension control system would be cool. Probably could work out a configuration where the webbing stored against the top (could be made to hold light gear and bedding). And then attached to a pair of lower mounts when deployed for sleeping. You could probably fix the hinge end and only have to move the other between storage and sleep modes.
That sounds like a cool idea. And maybe instead of webbing, I could use the mesh part of a cot. In any event, I appreciate the help.

Hope all is well with you, Chris.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I never really liked the original design mostly because of everything you've fixed. Now this North West Version is a totally winner in my book!

I love everything about what you guys are doing and I really love the graphics. Very subtle yet so cool!

Cant wait to see interior shots

Mike, if you need a photographer or driver for any of your adventures, give me a shout :elkgrin:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I never really liked the original design mostly because of everything you've fixed. Now this North West Version is a totally winner in my book!

I love everything about what you guys are doing and I really love the graphics. Very subtle yet so cool!
Thanks, Pat. As I truly value your opinion on such matters, the compliments are much appreciated.

Travel safely,

Mike

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
Do you feel like your comment was ignored?

Is anyone else surprised and a bit bothered that a $100,000+ vehicle has design flaws that compromises the structure?
I would think with that price size of a price tag, the engineering would be a bit better.

AMEN!

I remember when this product first came out how it seemed everyone drooled over it :drool: and I think someone associated with this forum even took it on an extended trip praising it's ability...........seems like there was more to the quality of the build that was left out of any field reports.

So what in cost, time and materials do we have in this unique build so far? Have we reach the $150,000 range yet? :Wow1:

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Things have been quiet for awhile, Mike. Any updates?
Strangely quiet. Perhaps too quiet. :sombrero:

Seriously, nothing worth showing off. No interior work yet. Drives great now, though; much better than when I got it and I'm using it on and off-pavement. It's even proven perfectly practical as a grocery getter. This is my first Wrangler and I have to say that I expected more hardship. The combination of the Duratracs and the Nth Degree suspension is wizard

Have we reach the $150,000 range yet?
Good heavens, no. (And if it ever does, I'll be needing a new wife. :) ) There was a fair amount of money spent early in electrical upgrades, and more in screwing around figuring our what to do and undoing the original ER setup. But as with most things, once you use up the money making the first one right, the second one would be straightforward and not prohibitively expensive. And while I'm not an expert in such things, I'm virtually certain ER could have built the "Northwest Edition" considerably cheaper than the fair weather XV-JP they produced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles