EarthRoamer XV-JP "Northwest Edition"

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
And now, additional news . . .

Ok, so we've got a new plan to create, more or less, a brand-new 2015 Red Cannon-issue XV-JP to go off on adventures large and small. New cabin with new paint and interior and a new chassis with all the goodies . . . it promises to be the ultimate representation of the vastly-underrepresented Jeep Wrangler self-contained motorhome.

But what of the faithful 2007 chassis left behind in all this flurry of newness? Lots of good times in that chassis, and lots of money, too, since amongst the auxiliary fuel tank, engine-driven on-board air, Paul's afromosia wood headliner and about sixty other add-ons, it's been tweaked to within an inch of its life. And after sorting tires, suspension, engine settings, and even the audio system, it was about as comfy and pleasant as first-gen JKs get, plus it hasn't yet hit 30,000 miles. Obviously, too good to part out or put to some humdrum use.

And, as it turned out, humdrum use would be more difficult than expected anyway. The obvious plan would be to use the black hardtop and the rear doors from the '15, along with its rear seat, seat belts and other leftover parts, to turn the '07 back into a regular JK Unlimited. It turns out, however, that Murphy had a say in this and it wasn't as good a plan as you might first think. EarthRoamer, when modifying the off-the-rack JKURs they bought for making XV-JPs, cut out a lot of the stock rear structure. That makes perfect sense, in that they build their own safety cage for the ER cabins and the factory stuff is in the way. But it also means that it's not possible to just replace the ER cabin with the hardtop, doors and seat and be back to a stock-functioning truck.

Fortunately, there is a alternative. (And a better alternative than most of my alternatives, I might add.)

As some of you know, Thaler and Teraflex have combined to build and market a pickup truck conversion for the JK Unlimiteds:

New Jeep pickup.jpg

and this is going to be the fate of my '07 ex-XV-JP chassis. It'll be a pretty slick solution, I do believe. All of the good mods are already in place on this chassis, and replacing the camping cabin and significant contents with the pickup bed is going to lop off a bunch of weight, enough so that performance of the drivetrain will be improved. I probably will run it on the 35s mud-terrains from the new one--I've got new 35 inch KO2s set aside for the camper's long-term use--and it should end up a pretty nifty general-purpose go-anywhere truck.

Plus, the pickup stuff will go onto the chassis in a pretty straightforward way, and thus get around issues caused by the missing parts that vanished eight years ago at the ER shop. There is, in fact, a video showing every step of the process linked in this ExPo thread about the conversion:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/145945

so you can see how it will be pretty easy to pull off. (Easier than most, in fact, because all of the rear stuff that it shows has to be removed from a stock JK is already gone.)

Red Cannon will do the pickup conversion after SEMA, including painting the fill-in door panels and the cab back to match the Jeep's silver color. The '07 is giving up its nth Degree (AEV) heavy duty rear suspension for the 2015 camper chassis, which is actually a good thing, as the more weight-appropriate 3.5 inch components from the 2015 rear can go in its place. And they'll even be getting someone to take a shot at modifying the Jeep's cool graphic to cover the new panels. All in all, it should be a pretty trick setup, and I am particularly happy that virtually all of the work put into the '07s chassis and cab over the years will live on.

It's been a busy two weeks getting all of this sorted, but things are looking good. Both the new Red Cannon camper and the new-from-old pickup should be nice trucks and a lot of fun.

And if you're thinking, "That's a pretty nice plan, but now you've got money invested in an extra truck and you can't drive two Jeeps at the same time," well, welcome to the club. (Founded by my wife, I might add.) Short of adopting a fellow overlander to drive the other one, it's pretty certain something will have to be moved on some point. For the moment, though, I'm content being enthusiastic that Dion and I have figured out how to get two pretty useful vehicles out of our collaboration.

Last edited:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
poor little silver chassis.. .. all stripped naked & unloved!
You should have waited until 4:13 to post that. See above.

I'm sad that the new one's not silver, though. The old one looked like a shrunk-in-the-wash version of the Bullet. ;)

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Man... I go away for a week and it all goes to heck.

Er rather it all goes to the AWESOME level. I approve of these choices and fully support these plans.

Just in case you needed any more encouragement, I think however you are GTG as is. heh

:coffeedrink:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Hey look, a new puppy!
6-frequently-asked-questions-labrador-puppy-growth-e1416479421894.jpg

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Hey look, a new puppy!
Jeremy--Why is there a giantic puppy picture on my build thread? Do you have a new puppy? Is this Boo as a young boy? Are you just helping meet Ken's need for more photos? Are you hinting out that buying a puppy would be cheaper than buying a new Jeep? I'm confused. :)

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Thanks for posting these detailed threads and these fantastic builds.

But real question, is this a hobby, business, needs evolving?

I see so many trucks and mods cycling, I'm sort of lost.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
But real question, is this a hobby, business, needs evolving?
Not my business, but a timely linkup with Dion as he was starting Red Cannon Expedition as an overlanding vehicle builder.

For my part, the change in cabin was to get a new layout more appropriate for two people than my initial plan. The new chassis got bought to match up the 2015 cabin with a 2015 chassis as opposed to one that was 8 years old. The pickup truck came about as the best idea we had for the leftover '07.

Thanks for the kind words.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Jeremy--Why is there a giantic puppy picture on my build thread? Do you have a new puppy? Is this Boo as a young boy? Are you just helping meet Ken's need for more photos? Are you hinting out that buying a puppy would be cheaper than buying a new Jeep? I'm confused. :)

#1 Puppies are cute. Everyone loves puppies. You know this.
#2 Your '15 is like a new puppy. Soon it will grow into its big feet. I can't wait to see what it looks like when that happens.
#3 Every thread needs moar pictars. :chef:

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
At this point it seems that having Dion just fabricate a new rear cabin would have been easier and more cost effective... It also would have left a very functional and iconic vehicle intact... This latest turn of events appears to be counter to the initial reason why you decided to go this route... I still have a hard time understanding the logic of destroying what was there before...

GR8ADV

Explorer
#1 Puppies are cute. Everyone loves puppies. You know this.
#2 Your '15 is like a new puppy. Soon it will grow into its big feet. I can't wait to see what it looks like when that happens.
:chef:
The XV-K9. Can't wait...

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
At this point it seems that having Dion just fabricate a new rear cabin would have been easier and more cost effective... It also would have left a very functional and iconic vehicle intact... This latest turn of events appears to be counter to the initial reason why you decided to go this route... I still have a hard time understanding the logic of destroying what was there before...

Hey Paul,

I'm sure that the cabin's fiberglass parts are made from molds which Dion doesn't have(I don't even know if ER has them anymore), and even if he did, the cost of making a new cabin would probably be way too high/$$$$$$. AFAIK Mike was trying to set up a better cabin layout for use with his wife(recently retired) or friends(like me--last time I camped with him in it I had to sleep in the floor with my dog. I can do that for a few nights, but a better sleeping arrangement for 2 adults would be terrific to see)--it wasn't going be possible in the setup he had you build originally...and there wasn't another ER-XV-JP cabin around to use(1of14 isn't very good odds).

However, when Mike and I did the White Rim Trail last September, the creaks and groans from the cabinets when we were off-pavement really got to him, so that might also have entered into his decision to do something different as well. And I remember him saying there also had been enough water getting into the cabin that there was mold and rot on the cabinets that he needed to deal with(yikes!), so the interior might have had to be rebuilt anyway due to wet wood/materials. :(

I'm sure Mike will respond when he sees your post(I think he's away today)--just my thoughts/knowledge from spending lots of time with him and the XV-JP.

-Jeremy

DionK

Hi everyone,

Dion asked me to post some pictures for you guys. A local photographer came by and got some good shots of Dion in action. Will get more pictures once the body is back from paint. We've decided on a name for the Red Cannon Jeep. It's called The Darién. Hopefully one day we will have a team of these Jeeps that we can take across the Darién Gap as a tribute to Mark Smith.

dion sanding.jpg
dion jeep.jpg
dion sanding 1.jpg
dion saw.jpg
dion thumbs up.jpg
IMG_1606.jpg
jeep n shop.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke