EarthRoamer XV-JP "Northwest Edition"

adam88

Explorer
I agree. People who are talking about "going to court" and "suing him" talk like they have never been involved in a civil suit before. You know it COSTS MONEY to sue someone right? And if they have no assets, then you're just throwing good money after bad. Plus they are way across the country from each other and just deciding on a jurisdiction alone would be fun. $$$$.

Unfortunately this is just a bad experience and it could have been much worse. What if Mike's jeep had magically disappeared? What if someone had broken into the shop and stolen it? I doubt there was insurance to cover it. Or what if there was a fire and the jeep was destroyed? Was the Jeep insured the whole time? I could think of much worse. At least the Jeep got shipped back.

Now, we need to see some photos!

Mud Dawg

Observer
At this point, I don't know that posting pictures would be wise. He's already headed for legal action, posting pictures and speculating on a forum may damage his case. I think properly documenting it and keeping a pretty closed lid on it is his best course of action until it's figured out how to proceed with Red Cannon. #iamnotalawyer

How would posting pics of the mess "damage his case"?

Pics! Pics! Pics!

thethePete

Explorer
The pictures wouldn't per se, but the ensuing speculation and finger pointing might. Besides, he's been forward enough with this whole mess, I think he's entitled to some privacy and time to think. People seem to be forgetting were getting a glimpse into someone's personal financial tragedy, not tuning into a reality show. Mike owes us nothing.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Hey Mike, I've got a non-current-situation question, if you have the bandwidth:

How did the rear Pelican box fare, long term? I really like that solution, and I'm pretty sure I'm headed down that path for my van - a nice rear-mounted box hanging on a door-mounted rack will be perfect for my portable compressor, leveling blocks, etc. As far as I can tell from the specs, the plastic of the Storm iM2720 I've sourced is UV-stable, but I was hoping to get some first-hand info from someone who's done it long-term.

Thanks!

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Hey Mike, I've got a non-current-situation question, if you have the bandwidth.
I'm atwitter at the opportunity to discuss anything that doesn't involve the death of my truck. Thanks for asking. ;)

I'd strongly suggest you follow your instincts and add the case. I've done it twice, on the Jeep and on the first Sprinter:

Sprinter 1 rear.jpg

and both worked out very well. They provided space for things that you'd never need on the inside, and equally valuable, they you access to things you want quickly on the outside. So the case was where I carried my little Honda generator, but also the shorepower cord, various bungees and ties, air system stuff, etc. And fitting some pouches to the case cover, as I did on the Jeep, made it even better, as it was very handy to have immediate access to sunscreen, bug repellent, wipes, gloves, rags, an air pressure gauge, tire deflators and so on.

The extra length never made the trucks feel longer, even though it was close to a foot added. I can't explain why that is so.

And now for the actual question . . . yes, they both held up pretty well. They did not actually fade, so I'd believe the UV-stable claim. However, they are in a location where all of the dust and dirt imaginable gets on them, and as their surface isn't close to glass smooth, you can't really keep them in pristine condition. You can scrub them down and they come kind-of-clean, but they won't look new after they're not new. I suspect a color that starts off looking dull will show less change than something bold and shiny.

I am, however, picking the proverbial nits here. Both the black on the Jeep and the grey on the Sprinter did more than well enough. Buy whatever color and size suits you and get it mounted. I count adding the exterior case as one of the better modifications to each truck.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Originally posted by DionK

For all the many thousands of hours and dollars I have put into Mike’s Jeep it was and always will be Mike’s Jeep.

Lucky me.

P1020267.jpg

(All photos get bigger when clicked.)

P1020274.jpg

P1020265.jpg

P1020291.jpg

P1020271.jpg

P1020293.jpg

P1020294.jpg

P1020301.jpg

P1020273.jpg

P1020297 cropped.JPG

Jason911

Adventurer
Begging the question - the jeep does run yes? Starts, idles on all 6 cylinders and drives down the road in a semi-straight line? HVAC still functions as it should?

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
So sorry to hear/see jeep brotha. Take heart in the fact that it IS fixable. Not totalled, burned to the ground, or vanished.
I hate to get dark but being passionate about my jeeps (and others), I equate it to having a family member getting mugged/assaulted. They suffer trauma we only partially understand. But with proper love and a caring heart... they can live a happy life again.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

adam88

Explorer
I'm shocked. I looked at the photos a dozen times, analyzing each one closely. I am trying to think of something positive to say but other than what I already said (e.g., at least the Jeep wasn't stolen or burned to the ground) nothing is coming to me. I had prepared myself for the worst... and I was still surprised. Ugh.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Begging the question - the jeep does run yes? Starts, idles on all 6 cylinders and drives down the road in a semi-straight line? HVAC still functions as it should?
Yes, it seemed to run fine for the eighth mile I drove it. There are, however, loose hoses, unconnected power cables running into the cabin, and so on that I'll need to trace before the chassis could drive any distance. Also, in his haste to take the truck apart last summer, Dion tended to cut wiring and hoses rather than spend time undoing their connectors. This includes some factory chassis wiring

P1020299.jpg

so it won't be a surprise to learn I'm missing functional lights, signals or similar.

By the way, for those of you pointing out that it I'm better off than if it has been stolen, totalled or burned . . . ummm, not so much. I had insurance in force for the camper and would be much better off financially if something covered had happened to it. :(

I appreciate the sympathetic words. Pretty phenomenal fail, huh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94