EarthRoamer XV-JP "Northwest Edition"

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
All good ideas. For such a small space, I'd imagine that indoor cooking would be a fallback option only. As long as there's enough flat space and ventilation to get by with a butane catering burner, I wouldn't necessarily feel the need for a full indoor kitchen space. Of course, this project has always been a "premium" target, so I get it if one feels that it "must" have indoor cooking.
The butane cooktop is great; it's what we use when bookdocking in the Sprinter, and is worth consideration. The single burner flush-mount propane stove previously there was also great and did not really intrude BUT . . . unlike most units that would be space heated with propane, this camper has a good petrol-fired air heater. So if you go with a butane cooker or use portable propane cylinders, you can avoid the entire propane locker/tanks/solenoid/alarm/plumbing system and the space involved.

That said, all of the components are there, ready to be used, down to the piping. But it's a pretty elaborate system to only use for cooking.

KevinsMap

Adventurer
I think I need need only a retractable portion of the space overhead for sleeping... The ability to stand up and walk around in a vehicle this small is not the highest priority... Ease of use is...

I would agree in part... and perhaps we are not so far apart on the rest. But I am so looking forward to your work, I'll pitch my 2 cents and see what you think; Ease of use is certainly at the level of very highest priority. But that very highest level will accommodate more than one priority, and in a small-footprint vehicle I would put "Livability" as an equal priority. Not much "walking around" within this footprint, true. But there is another way of looking at it.

Airy, open space - volume. Roominess. Up around your head, as you sit and (most especially)... stand up.

Cases in point - The Dormobile, and the original EarthRoamer XV-JP. Both solve the footprint/livable space problem very differently and very usefully, creating compact but airy retreats that can be a practical, comfortable refuge for days on end. They are both remarkable in their spaciousness, within those very small footprints. Far more so than the footprint would suggest. And before anyone else says it, (emphatically) YES, they both create other practical problems by doing this. But these designs, with all their problems, result in usable spaciousness and livability. There is a True Challenge for you, Paul; do better.

Get a similar result, without the practical problems. Solve those problems.

Create an internal spaciousness that will simply "Wow" all who enter. Make that another First Priority. Just my 2 cents. I look forward to your solution.

Last edited:

loonwheeler

Adventurer
Maybe a list of intended use, objectives, and requirements might help us make more meaningful suggestions and ideas. After all, to most effectively solve a problem you must be able to understand and define it before you solve it. :)

Just my 2c.

Last edited:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
It's been a couple of challenging days, sorting through all of the XV-JP's parts. It was pretty sad . . . hundreds of feet of wiring and plumbing hacked apart, and hundreds of hours of really fine fabrication work undone.

P1020306.jpg P1020303.jpg P1020305.jpg

Most of the stuff got sent back, and it profited from me being the only person who knew all of the different people's work and could generally tell what I was looking at. And if you're going to take over a disassembled motorhome from someone, get one from an anal retentive guy with a lot of plastic bins and baggies. ;)

P1020304.jpg

Also, I'd saved all of Paul's drawers and upholstery before the truck went to Iowa, so there's a pretty good set of bits and pieces that may come in handy.

Paul will be here tomorrow morning and we'll effect the transfer. Thanks for your ongoing support of the project.

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
I would agree in part... and perhaps we are not so far apart on the rest. But I am so looking forward to your work, I'll pitch my 2 cents and see what you think; Ease of use is certainly at the level of very highest priority. But that very highest level will accommodate more than one priority, and in a small-footprint vehicle I would put "Livability" as an equal priority. Not much "walking around" within this footprint, true. But there is another way of looking at it.

Airy, open space - volume. Roominess. Up around your head, as you sit and (most especially)... stand up.

Cases in point - The Dormobile, and the original EarthRoamer XV-JP. Both solve the footprint/livable space problem very differently and very usefully, creating compact but airy retreats that can be a practical, comfortable refuge for days on end. They are both remarkable in their spaciousness, within those very small footprints. Far more so than the footprint would suggest. And before anyone else says it, (emphatically) YES, they both create other practical problems by doing this. But these designs, with all their problems, result in usable spaciousness and livability. There is a True Challenge for you, Paul; do better.

Get a similar result, without the practical problems. Solve those problems.

Create an internal spaciousness that will simply "Wow" all who enter. Make that another First Priority. Just my 2 cents. I look forward to your solution.

Really agree with the having the initial sense of openness... If solves a lot of problems, primarily trying fit too much stuff in...

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
Maybe a list of intended use, objectives, and requirements might help us make more meaningful suggestions and ideas. After all, to most effectively solve a problem you must be able to understand and define it before you solve it. :)

Just my 2c.

Primarily one person for extended weekend trips to off-road (not extreme) places like beaches and lakes... Boards and bikes ... Once a season weeklong trip with my wife... We are very happy with our steel tent Sprinter... Upgrading to solar, batteries, hot water, etc is a dream come true... Now how to fit it together...

familyvan

Adventurer
I really like what Alucab does with their pop up roof and bed in how it hinges up with the roof to allow for a larger living space then you can pull the bed down when needed.

bhguy

Observer
just read this whole thread in one shot...:friday:i have never felt emotional over posts at a forum..cant wait to see the outcome of this one!

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
This morning Pam and I took our Sprinter to Mike and Sue's... Also there, helping get things ready, was Steve Robinson... Before finding Steve and Mike I looked on, in amazememet, at Steve's camper... Talk about doing things right... Only an architect could pull that off...

Mike and Steve were out back of the shop, putting nuts on bolts, taping wires, filling totes and going through two separate mental check lists... It sure made what could have been a hectic day easy...

We got the roof mold into the Sprinter, on edge... Next all the long stuff went in... Eventually frame carcasses, loose drawers, tanks and batteries, fridge and stove, inverter and water heater, etc and more etc., filled the Sprinter about three quarters full... The load was checked for potential shifting on the long drive back...

The Earthroamer cabin was bolted securely to the Jeep... The rear door was "200 mph" taped to the cabin and bungee cords were attached to the rear windows lift locks an pulled taught to the front of the cabin... Perfect... The cab-over section of the cabin was ratchet strapped to the new, bolt-on, light bar... Secure... The roof was left open for the drive back, but before fully committing to that, Steve and I took a short freeway test drive... No problem...

Back at the house a few more things got sorted out, paperwork was signed and a couple pictures were taken... Bittersweet...

After two rounds of hugs and handshakes I got in the Jeep, Pam followed me and we drove away from the Hiscox home feeling again bittersweet... The past is behind us, the future will be here soon enough and all there is to do now is drive... And it drove well... No problems at all... A few times it rained exceptionally hard and all I got was a few drops on me and they dried fast... Needed the heater a couple times to keep my hands warm... With the roof off I was expecting it to very noisy, it wasn't... The Jeep cruised steadily between 50 and 60 mph... Made it home without any problems... Thanks again Mike and Steve... Great pit crew...

It felt sadly familiar to back the Jeep under my carport... That same feeling of uncertain outcome was there, the opportunity to rebuild it close to what it was is there, as is the potential to do something new... I won't get ahead of myself design wise until I unpack everything, sort out everything, measure everything and just think about it all for a week... I will order materials to build the roof and it looks like my longtime friends at Fiberglass Supply will help me keep the cost down on the foam board fiberglass and resin... Yay...

It's been a long day and I hope Mike can finally get a good night's sleep and I have a feeling my sleep pattern just got shorter...

Finally, Mike, what can I say...???... Your generosity raised the bar the same way all your vehicle design and builds do... Today I got another glimpse into the character of the man, I met another of his friends, Steve and I do judge people by who they associate with and Mike is at the highest level of quality individual out there...

More later, and keep the suggestions flowing...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior