Lockout hubs for a '93 suburban ifs?

arktrekker

Adventurer
I have been going back and forth on doing the sas on my '93 2500 gmc suburban, but think I may just stick with the ifs for now. I would like to swap it out to lockout hubs if possible. Does anyone here know if it is possible, and if so who sells the components? I just ordered the cable setup to replace the failure prone electronics on the front axle.

Unit bearing designs have made the adaptation of manual hubs to newer vehicles very difficult. Chevy vehicles are impossible to the best of my knowledge. The axleshaft splines directly to the hub assembly so there really is no way to disengage it in that method. Your shafts are always going to spin, but the driveshaft will not, nor will the pinion and carrier in the diff.

arktrekker

Adventurer
thanks.

I was hoping for the lockouts due to prior experience with an explorer that loved to eat up the auto locking hubs about every third time you engaged the 4 wheel drive. Going for reliability here as I plan on spending a good part of my summer wandering around the desert areas of the southwest.

Rot Box

Explorer
prior experience with an explorer that loved to eat up the auto locking hubs about every third time you engaged the 4 wheel drive. Going for reliability

If you are referring to a Ford explorer with auto hubs these are two totally different animals. The auto hubs on those vehicles are just plain known to be unreliable and often times people swap them out for manual hubs.

The GM on the other hand would be nearly impossible to convert to selectable hubs. That said there really is no reason to do so as there is an axle disconnect and as long as you run a quality name brand (no parts store junk) bearings you should have years of trouble free use. I would recommend a http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_chevy-k.html as the stock solenoid can be troublesome.

arktrekker

Adventurer
ex 4x4- It is on the stock rims, but I am really hoping to get it set up so I can run 35's mainly for clearance due to length. Like I said, I plan on using the rig to wander the southwest most of the summer and then possibly move into the mountains for winter. It's not a crawler and I don't plan on evr pretending it is, but I do want reliability out of it.

Rot box - Thanks for the link. Someone pointed me that direction a while back and I have a unit in route as of wed..

The truck was a special order for the highway dept. It has a 40+ gallon fuel tank, 4L80E transmission, hydroboost brakes and the 350 in it. Go figure. Extra beef until you get to the engine. I figure this means I shouldn't have to beef up too many things as long as the engine is stock because I won't have the hp or torque to tear things apart on a trail unless I lose my mind..

Sounds much like the use and build of mine

350 with 10 bolts f/r for now but I plan to move to 14 rear and 44 front for 8 lugs.

I do have a friend that did a SAS on a tahoe of that vintage with a 10 bolt live axle.

Sounds much like the use and build of mine

350 with 10 bolts f/r 4" lift with 35" tires for now but I plan to move to 14 rear and 44 front for 8 lugs.

I do have a friend that did a SAS on a tahoe of that vintage with a 10 bolt live axle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles