Older BigFoot Slide in Campers

sisu

Adventurer
We have been looking at slide in campers for some time now. We were drawn to the Canadian clam shell design of the older Bigfoot & Northern Lite. The older Bigfoot campers interest us because of weight & $.

Does anyone here have either experience or knowledge regarding the older Bigfoot (late 1980s-early 1990s). Are there certain weak points to look for? Any draw backs? We have lots of high end mountaineering tent & guide model wall tent experience but no camper experience at all.

Any & all help will be greatly welcomed.

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
I have owned several truck campers, motorhomes, and hoiliday trailers. The ONLY good one was the Bigfoot (Northern Lite is pretty much the same). Very solid, leak free, good looking camper. If you want to get something that will last a long time and still be worth what you paid for it that's the one to get.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
We're very happy with our 1999 Bigfoot 2500C10.6. Not as old as the models you are considering, but we've had 11 years of trouble free use.

I did upgrade the charger a couple years ago when I installed a group 4d AGM battery. Nothing wrong with the original, just wanted higher charging current.

You may be aware of this, but the company was bankrupt a year or two ago. I believe someone has started the company up again, but I'm not sure about their prospects. That said, most of the systems are from other well known names in the RV industry, so support for all that should be available.

sisu

Adventurer
Thank you both for your information. Yes, I did know about the financial problems they went through.

We are looking at the older ones because of money. I found a nice Northern Lite 1999 for 9950 dollars, but the 1988-1995 Bigfoots we've seen are running 5-3k. No toilet or shower but we were planning on a portable outdoor shower anyway. The toilet will be planned either cassett or a nice porta potty type.

Thank you again for all your input.

Scott aka Sisu

Maybe too late now but I thought I'd add that I also have a BigFoot, although mine is a 2005. I absolutely love it. They've got a great reputation. I take mine off road often. Only minor problems so far.

Have you purchased anything yet ?

sisu

Adventurer
Maybe too late now but I thought I'd add that I also have a BigFoot, although mine is a 2005. I absolutely love it. They've got a great reputation. I take mine off road often. Only minor problems so far.

Have you purchased anything yet ?

Still in the look stage. Going to a fella's place over the holiday to see if it fits etc.

TBRV

Becareful of the eighties units, they were built for trucks with 65" tailgate openings. These won't fit any new trucks (60" tailgate opening). Be sure to measure when looking at older Campers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles